Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Are RPMs Associated WIth Ark By Default?

Question Why Are RPMs Associated WIth Ark By Default?

I installed tumbleweed this week and needed to install some rpms to get wifi working.
    It was quite annoying for ark to open up every time I clicked on an rpm.
    Surely they should be associated with the package manger by default.

Is this an accident/bug or do some people actually think installation files should be associated with compression managers?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why Are RPMs Associated WIth Ark By Default?

Quote Originally Posted by opticyclic View Post
    I installed tumbleweed this week and needed to install some rpms to get wifi working.
    It was quite annoying for ark to open up every time I clicked on an rpm.
    Surely they should be associated with the package manger by default.
    Have a read of this blog.

Blog Entries

Just a quick note to explain that /.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list has been deprecated, with most applications/desktop environments now using /.config/mimeapps.list for user-overrides.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...s#XDG_standard

Even easier: right-click on the RPM file, "File type options", select "Install/remove software" and click Up to the top of the list.

EDIT: I'm interested on the why Ark rather than Install software is on top of that list?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flyos View Post
    Even easier: right-click on the RPM file, "File type options", select "Install/remove software" and click Up to the top of the list.
    If that option is already there then good, but I can recall a time when it wasn't hence the manual recreation of it.

EDIT: I'm interested on the why Ark rather than Install software is on top of that list?
    I can't answer that, but I agree that ark shouldn't be the first option by default.

It is always interesting to know the different ways to do stuff like this.
    However, I was originally more interested in why.

It seems like a few other people are in agreement.
    Where should bugs like this be reported?

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    If that option is already there then good, but I can recall a time when it wasn't hence the manual recreation of it.
    It's there at least in Tumbleweed and Leap 42.2 (I suspect 42.1 has it as well, but can't remember for sure...)

Interesting, after installing Leap 42.1 I grabbed the RPM for Chrome because of Netflix and it just opened in Yast doing all its installation work.

Quote Originally Posted by flyos View Post

because the /usr/share/applications/org.kde.ark.desktop file under MimeType= includes these types application/x-rpm;application/x-source-rpm
    for ark not to be offered as an option you need to edit that file and remove those types
    personally I do believe ark should be an option because sometimes you don't want to install a package to get to the files inside said package

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    because the /usr/share/applications/org.kde.ark.desktop file under MimeType= includes these types application/x-rpm;application/x-source-rpm
    for ark not to be offered as an option you need to edit that file and remove those types
    personally I do believe ark should be an option because sometimes you don't want to install a package to get to the files inside said package
    I don't think anyone is questioning ark as an option, but the software installer should be the first option for handling RPM files.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 31-Oct-2016 at 20:31.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast