Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Are RPMs Associated WIth Ark By Default?

Default Re: Why Are RPMs Associated WIth Ark By Default?

Yes, Ark makes sense to open RPMs, just Yast makes even more sense and thus should be on top of Ark in the priority list!

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I don't think anyone is questioning ark as an option, but the software installer should be the first option for handling RPM files.
    I get it, the problem is there is no included desktop file that offers yast as an rpm installer
    we can make one our serfs by doing
    Code:
    kate ~/.local/share/applications/yast-software-installer.desktop
    and then pasting
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=YaST Software Installer
    Exec=xdg-su -c "/sbin/yast2 sw_single %F"
    MimeType=application/x-rpm;
    NoDisplay=true
    Type=Application
    this desktop file should be made part of the OS and included with some of the core rpm's, maybe someone can open a bug report and we'll get it, just talking here will gain us nothing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    I get it, the problem is there is no included desktop file that offers yast as an rpm installer
    I know, and that's what is outlined in my blog

It did used to be present though.

Are you sure it's missing? As I said, the entry "Install/remove Software" is there in the "File Association" menu. It's just that it's below Ark. I think the problem is not that it's missing, it's that Ark is given priority over it.

Quote Originally Posted by flyos View Post
    Are you sure it's missing? As I said, the entry "Install/remove Software" is there in the "File Association" menu. It's just that it's below Ark. I think the problem is not that it's missing, it's that Ark is given priority over it.
    It is not missing, and never was.
    But with 13.2, the YaST team decided to hide it in KDE, because KDE had Apper anyway.
    This has been changed again recently though.

Ark is given priority, because its desktop file has this line to make sure it is the default application for archives:
    Code:
    InitialPreference=3
    A similar line with higher priority has to be added to YaST's desktop file to "fix" that.

See also: https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=954143

For some reason, I had to do a fresh install of Leap 42.2, and I noted that Ark was still prioritised to open RPM... The bug report mentioned by Wolfi323 is unclear (still CONFIRMED, acceptance of the patch apparently still pending...), so I think it's fair to say this is not "fixed" unfortunately...

I must say I strongly disagree with the point of view of Ludwig Nussel in the bug report about removing the feature entirely. If one is concerned about the user no being aware of the risks, removing the feature is just inefficient: eager users will find the command on the Internet and just proceed anyway, still unaware of the risks. The best way would be to make Yast print a warning when installing a RPM "manually", just as it does for 1-click install.

Writing this I realise this might be actually relevant enough to go into the bug report, I'll post there as well.

For some reason, I had to do a fresh install of Leap 42.2, and I noted that Ark was still prioritised to open RPM... The bug report mentioned by Wolfi323 is unclear (still CONFIRMED, acceptance of the patch apparently still pending...), so I think it's fair to say this is not "fixed" unfortunately...
    Well, the priority change never got submitted/accepted (yet).

I must say I strongly disagree with the point of view of Ludwig Nussel in the bug report about removing the feature entirely.
    But he is the release manager.

Anyway, that's not the reason why the second change (to give YaST priority over ark) didn't get in.
    The YaST maintainers messed up, so to say...

You can of course easily change the application preference order in "Configure Desktop"->"Applications"->"File Associations".
    Last edited by wolfi323; 21-Nov-2016 at 14:43.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323
    You can of course easily change the application preference order in "Configure Desktop"->"Applications"->"File Associations".
    And I did! But I do think aside from my personal case that this patch is a sensible default (I fixed this in 2 sec, so I shouldn't care about the patch making it into 42.2, but I'm a nice guy, so I'm also concerned about other users! )

But I do think aside from my personal case that this patch is a sensible default
    Yes, I do as well.
    That's why I explained what needs to be done in the bug report, and asked about the status months ago...

The problem is that this has never been merged:
    https://github.com/yast/yast-packager/pull/173

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12