Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is currently the best/correct way to get subpixel rendering on openSUSE Tumbleweed?

Default What is currently the best/correct way to get subpixel rendering on openSUSE Tumbleweed?

What is currently the best/correct way to get subpixel rendering on openSUSE Tumbleweed?
    There are lots of third party repositories with namtrac's (https://build.opensuse.org/project/s...mtrac:subpixel) and nick31's (https://build.opensuse.org/project/s...ALITY-ULTIMATE) seem to be the two most popular ones.

namtrac's only offers freetype2 packages, whereas nick31's also offers cairo and fontconfig. Is freetype2 enough to enable subpixel rendering, or are the other packages needed?

Besides that, namtrac's repository doesn't have builds for Tumbleweed. The closest one available is Factory, but I believe that is not recommended to use it on Tumbleweed, right?

Meanwhile, nick31 offers Tumbleweed builds but it is still "stuck" on an older freetype2 version but it offers older versions (2.6.3) than the ones currently available on Tumbleweed (2.7).

So, what are Tumbleweed users (and soon 42.2 users) supposed to use to get better font rendering on LCDs? Which one of these, or other, repositories is recommended?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: What is currently the best/correct way to get subpixel rendering on openSUSE Tumbleweed?

Hi
    New subpixel hinting is already enabled with FreeType 2.7?
    https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-.../msg00313.html

I use YaST Fonts and set my configuration to Font Antialiasing Force Autohinting on, Font Hint Style none, Subpixel Rendering rgb and LCD Filter lcdnone YMMV.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default Re: What is currently the best/correct way to get subpixel rendering on openSUSE Tumbleweed?

If that is true and it sounds good then you have not to add any repositories, only apply your own settings from Yast or in your desktop environment settings.
    Mine are always, hinting on, but slight, RGB and LCD filter on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinylagarto View Post
    If that is true and it sounds good then you have not to add any repositories, only apply your own settings from Yast or in your desktop environment settings.
    Mine are always, hinting on, but slight, RGB and LCD filter on.
    Hi
    Yes, all via YaST, I use GNOME but have not changed anything aside from the default monospace font.

Hello petersaints,

I maintain my own font repo here:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:gldickens3

This repo provides Ubuntu style font rendering for OpenSUSE by implementing Ubuntu's versions of fontconfig and freetype2 for enhanced rendering with subpixel hinting. Builds are provided for Tumbleweed, Leap 42.1 and Leap 42.2 as well as 13.1 and 13.2. This repo is currently based on Ubuntu's 16.10 Yakkety Yak release and is updated periodically with Ubuntu's latest versions.

FYI,

Gordon
    Laptop #1: OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 (x86_64) | HP ZBook 17 G2 (17")
    Laptop #2: OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 (x86_64) | System76 Darter (14")

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gldickens3 View Post
    Hello petersaints,

I maintain my own font repo here:

This repo provides Ubuntu style font rendering for OpenSUSE by implementing Ubuntu's versions of fontconfig and freetype2 for enhanced rendering with subpixel hinting. Builds are provided for Tumbleweed, Leap 42.1 and Leap 42.2 as well as 13.1 and 13.2. This repo is currently based on Ubuntu's 16.10 Yakkety Yak release and is updated periodically with Ubuntu's latest versions.

FYI,

Gordon
    Hi
    The Tumbleweed version is at 2.7?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    The Tumbleweed version is at 2.7?
    Hi malcolmlewis,

The freetype2 version is 2.6.3 in my repo since that is what Ubuntu is currently using as described here:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/freetype

Again, the purpose of my repo is to provide Ubuntu style font rendering for OpenSUSE by implementing Ubuntu's versions of fontconfig and freetype2.

I totally agree that freetype2 version 2.7 provides improved font rendering over the previous OpenSUSE versions. Nevertheless, Ubuntu's font rendering remains superior even over what you will see with Tumbleweed's freetype2 version 2.7. Believe me, I have tried them all....

Thanks,

Gordon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gldickens3 View Post
    Hi malcolmlewis,

The freetype2 version is 2.6.3 in my repo since that is what Ubuntu is currently using as described here:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/freetype

Again, the purpose of my repo is to provide Ubuntu style font rendering for OpenSUSE by implementing Ubuntu's versions of fontconfig and freetype2.

I totally agree that freetype2 version 2.7 provides improved font rendering over the previous OpenSUSE versions. Nevertheless, Ubuntu's font rendering remains superior even over what you will see with Tumbleweed's freetype2 version 2.7. Believe me, I have tried them all....

Thanks,

Gordon
    Hi
    I'm just happy to see the desktop and letters

Why not branch the factory package and implement your changes as perhaps an 'add on' feature? (Not sure if it would get through Legal though..?)

@gldickens3: Why is that your repository only publishes a source "freetype2" package, but not the actual RPM package? I'd like to try it, but this is puzzling me a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by flyos View Post
    @gldickens3: Why is that your repository only publishes a source "freetype2" package, but not the actual RPM package? I'd like to try it, but this is puzzling me a bit...
    Hi flyos,

My repo does indeed publish RPMs for both freetype2 and fontconfig which is all that you need. You simply subscribe to the repository and follow the instructions here:

You can alternatively download the RPMs directly, if you prefer not to subscribe to the repo, by simply navigating to the repo and downloading the appropriate RPM packages. For instance, for Tumbleweed, navigate to:

http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...leweed/x86_64/

The packages from this repo that should be downloaded and installed are: fontconfig, fontconfig-32bit, libfreetype6 and libfreetype6-32bit.

FYI,

Gordon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast