Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: System crashes when using OpenGL 3.1 for desktop compositing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Posts
    789

    Default System crashes when using OpenGL 3.1 for desktop compositing

    There is a bizarre problem with KDE compositing, which has surprisingly been going on for over an year now. I'm just curious to understand its reasons better, as well as point it out in case people are not aware of it. On a side note, I run openSUSE Tumbleweed and the drivers installed from its official repositories, and use the RadeonSI video driver (Radeon R7 370 video card).

    When using OpenGL 3.1 for desktop effects, the operating system will randomly freeze and go completely unresponsive, forcing you to power off the machine and start it back on. This problem does not occur when using OpenGL 2.0 however. The setting in cause is Configure Desktop - Display and Monitor - Compositor - Rendering Backend.

    There's no advantage to using 3.1 over 2.0, so the solution is simply to use the later! But an OS freeze is still a major problem, and many people might not know that this is the cause. Is this a driver or Kernel or Mesa issue?
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,076
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: System crashes when using OpenGL 3.1 for desktop compositing

    Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    There is a bizarre problem with KDE compositing, which has surprisingly been going on for over an year now. I'm just curious to understand its reasons better, as well as point it out in case people are not aware of it. On a side note, I run openSUSE Tumbleweed and the drivers installed from its official repositories, and use the RadeonSI video driver (Radeon R7 370 video card).

    When using OpenGL 3.1 for desktop effects, the operating system will randomly freeze and go completely unresponsive, forcing you to power off the machine and start it back on. This problem does not occur when using OpenGL 2.0 however. The setting in cause is Configure Desktop - Display and Monitor - Compositor - Rendering Backend.

    There's no advantage to using 3.1 over 2.0, so the solution is simply to use the later! But an OS freeze is still a major problem, and many people might not know that this is the cause. Is this a driver or Kernel or Mesa issue?
    Hi
    Or possibly llvm? Try the kernel HEAD repo perhaps, also try amdgpu?

    Have a browse of the dri-devel list on freedesktop.org, I see a few for radeonsi;
    https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/

    Can you ssh to the box from another computer, or does the whole system freeze?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Posts
    789

    Default Re: System crashes when using OpenGL 3.1 for desktop compositing

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Or possibly llvm? Try the kernel HEAD repo perhaps, also try amdgpu?

    Have a browse of the dri-devel list on freedesktop.org, I see a few for radeonsi;
    https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/

    Can you ssh to the box from another computer, or does the whole system freeze?
    I don't normally run system packages from other repositories, as I don't want to mess with them and risk breaking my system. I have the 4.8.3 Kernel, which might have amplified the issue. I don't have SSH setup for connecting on this machine, so I don't know about that... the system does however instantly freeze, as in the image / sound stop and I can no longer move the cursor or toggle NumLock / CapsLock.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,076
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: System crashes when using OpenGL 3.1 for desktop compositing

    Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    I don't normally run system packages from other repositories, as I don't want to mess with them and risk breaking my system. I have the 4.8.3 Kernel, which might have amplified the issue. I don't have SSH setup for connecting on this machine, so I don't know about that... the system does however instantly freeze, as in the image / sound stop and I can no longer move the cursor or toggle NumLock / CapsLock.
    Hi
    I've had no issues with the Kernel:HEAD repo, I'm using it because my Mullins R5 works OTB with it now and amdgpu. Add it, try it, remove it and go back...?

    If possible, can you setup a ssh session from another computer (or smartphone/tablet)?

    Anything in ~/.xsession-errors* ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.1.log (if you reboot) else current will be 0.

    Anything in the journalctl output at the time of the crash?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,076
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: System crashes when using OpenGL 3.1 for desktop compositing

    Hi
    I see a comment on https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93652 from you

    So do you see crashes of the kernel driver?
    Code:
    journalctl --no-pager |grep amdgpu
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Posts
    789

    Default Re: System crashes when using OpenGL 3.1 for desktop compositing

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I see a comment on https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93652 from you

    So do you see crashes of the kernel driver?
    Code:
    journalctl --no-pager |grep amdgpu
    There isn't really any useful output for that command. Here it is, both as user and as root:

    Code:
    mircea@linux-qz0r:~> journalctl --no-pager | grep amdgpu
    Hint: You are currently not seeing messages from other users and the system.
          Users in the 'systemd-journal' group can see all messages. Pass -q to
          turn off this notice.
    Failed to get journal fields: Bad message
    
    linux-qz0r:/home/mircea # journalctl --no-pager | grep amdgpu
    Failed to get journal fields: Bad message
    For now I submitted a bug report. It's not just OpenGL 3.1 compositing that causes this, but also some games. MESA or a video driver might have screwed up again.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

  7. #7

    Default Re: System crashes when using OpenGL 3.1 for desktop compositing

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Xorg.1.log (if you reboot) else current will be 0
    it will be Xorg.0.log.old .... Xorg.1.log would refer to when you were concurrently running a second X Server instance

    ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.1.log
    I know that we talked about this before (though I don't really remember content), but I'm still not clear as to why it would be found in the location you've mentioned, as opposed to good old /var/log ... which is, indeed, the location that the log remains on my TW systems.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Posts
    789

    Default Re: System crashes when using OpenGL 3.1 for desktop compositing

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_K View Post
    it will be Xorg.0.log.old .... Xorg.1.log would refer to when you were concurrently running a second X Server instance

    I know that we talked about this before (though I don't really remember content), but I'm still not clear as to why it would be found in the location you've mentioned, as opposed to good old /var/log ... which is, indeed, the location that the log remains on my TW systems.
    For me there is no "~/.local/share/xorg/" directory. Also I checked both the .log and .log.old... the old file's modified date was long before the moment of the crash, so I went with the normal log.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,076
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: System crashes when using OpenGL 3.1 for desktop compositing

    Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    For me there is no "~/.local/share/xorg/" directory. Also I checked both the .log and .log.old... the old file's modified date was long before the moment of the crash, so I went with the normal log.
    Hi
    On my Tumbleweed system I see;
    Code:
    malcolml@ernie3:~> cat /etc/os-release
    NAME="openSUSE Tumbleweed"
    # VERSION="20161028"
    ID=opensuse
    ID_LIKE="suse"
    VERSION_ID="20161028"
    PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE Tumbleweed"
    ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
    CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:opensuse:tumbleweed:20161028"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.opensuse.org"
    HOME_URL="https://www.opensuse.org/"
    
    malcolml@ernie3:~> ls -la ~/.local/share/xorg/
    total 72
    drwxr-xr-x 1 malcolml users    96 Oct 31 15:54 .
    drwxr-xr-x 1 malcolml users   444 Oct 30 09:18 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 malcolml users 35364 Oct 31 17:08 Xorg.0.log
    -rw-r--r-- 1 malcolml users 34719 Oct 31 14:55 Xorg.0.log.old
    -rw-r--r-- 1 malcolml users     0 Aug 27 15:29 Xorg.1.log
    -rw-r--r-- 1 malcolml users     0 Aug 27 15:29 Xorg.1.log.old
    
    malcolml@ernie3:~> ls -la /var/log/X*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root users 107132 Oct 18 19:09 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root users  32921 Oct 17 22:59 /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root users  33128 Sep 27 10:23 /var/log/Xorg.2.log
    The .local ones are from the last boot and current.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,076
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: System crashes when using OpenGL 3.1 for desktop compositing

    Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    There isn't really any useful output for that command. Here it is, both as user and as root:

    Code:
    mircea@linux-qz0r:~> journalctl --no-pager | grep amdgpu
    Hint: You are currently not seeing messages from other users and the system.
          Users in the 'systemd-journal' group can see all messages. Pass -q to
          turn off this notice.
    Failed to get journal fields: Bad message
    
    linux-qz0r:/home/mircea # journalctl --no-pager | grep amdgpu
    Failed to get journal fields: Bad message
    For now I submitted a bug report. It's not just OpenGL 3.1 compositing that causes this, but also some games. MESA or a video driver might have screwed up again.
    Hi
    Change it to the driver your using... radeon? Just as user root.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •