Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Chromium has different cursor theme

  1. #1

    Default Chromium has different cursor theme

    With the latest updates, the cursor theme changes when it's hovering over chromium.Chromium seems to be the only application that's affected.This is extremely annoying.Is there anything I can do about this or am I at the mercy of an update to fix this problem?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,580
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Chromium has different cursor theme

    Now that you mention it, same in Chrome on Tumbleweed.
    EDiT: But also for Firefox
    Last edited by Knurpht; 24-Oct-2016 at 08:57.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3

    Default Re: Chromium has different cursor theme

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Now that you mention it, same in Chrome on Tumbleweed.
    EDiT: But also for Firefox
    Both are GTK applications, so try to change the GTK cursor theme in "Application Appearance"->GTK.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,580
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Chromium has different cursor theme

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Both are GTK applications, so try to change the GTK cursor theme in "Application Appearance"->GTK.
    Right, I re-changed it to Breeze. Sure I've done so before. What would make it fall back to Adwaita ( which it does ) ?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  5. #5

    Default Re: Chromium has different cursor theme

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Both are GTK applications, so try to change the GTK cursor theme in "Application Appearance"->GTK.
    Firefox actually uses the KDE cursor theme on my computer (as do other GTK applications) so those settings are not my problem.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Chromium has different cursor theme

    Quote Originally Posted by ae_lex View Post
    Firefox actually uses the KDE cursor theme on my computer (as do other GTK applications) so those settings are not my problem.
    Firefox uses GTK2 though in openSUSE (the upstream version that Mozilla offers uses GTK3 too) while Chromium uses GTK3.
    You may have different settings for GTK2 and GTK3...

    In 13.2, the mouse cursor settings are not included in kde-gtk-config yet (it it a very recent addition), so you have to modify the files directly.
    The GTK3 settings are in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, the GTK2 ones in ~/.gtkrc-2.0.
    Look for "gtk-cursor-theme-name=xxx".

    AFAIK if you remove the line it should use the desktop's cursor settings.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Chromium has different cursor theme

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Right, I re-changed it to Breeze. Sure I've done so before. What would make it fall back to Adwaita ( which it does ) ?
    No idea. Maybe if the configured cursor theme is not installed?
    KDE should not change it automatically though, unless you use kde-gtk-config5 and click on OK or Apply.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Chromium has different cursor theme

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Firefox uses GTK2 though in openSUSE (the upstream version that Mozilla offers uses GTK3 too) while Chromium uses GTK3.
    You may have different settings for GTK2 and GTK3...


    In 13.2, the mouse cursor settings are not included in kde-gtk-config yet (it it a very recent addition), so you have to modify the files directly.
    The GTK3 settings are in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, the GTK2 ones in ~/.gtkrc-2.0.
    Look for "gtk-cursor-theme-name=xxx".


    AFAIK if you remove the line it should use the desktop's cursor settings.

    Neither file contains the
    Code:
    gtk-cursor-theme-name=xxx
    line so there's nothing to delete.

    I doubt chromium is using the KDE desktop settings otherwise it wouldn't be using a different cursor theme.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Chromium has different cursor theme

    Quote Originally Posted by ae_lex View Post
    Neither file contains the
    Code:
    gtk-cursor-theme-name=xxx
    line so there's nothing to delete.
    Ok, then I have no idea why Firefox behaves differently in your case.
    Maybe its just the difference between GTK2 and GTK3, and Knurpht did have the line in his gtkrc-2.0 too.

    But try to add it to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini to change the cursor in Chromium.

    I doubt chromium is using the KDE desktop settings otherwise it wouldn't be using a different cursor theme.
    Chromium should not have to "use" the KDE desktop settings at all. It should get the mouse cursor "automatically".
    TBH, I don't even see a point in GTK having its own cursor theme setting...

    Chromium using a different cursor theme seems to be general problem though:
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-f.../msg00570.html
    Last edited by wolfi323; 25-Oct-2016 at 08:09.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Chromium has different cursor theme

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Ok, then I have no idea why Firefox behaves differently in your case.
    Maybe its just the difference between GTK2 and GTK3, and Knurpht did have the line in his gtkrc-2.0 too.

    But try to add it to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini to change the cursor in Chromium.
    This seems to do the trick.
    Code:
    gtk-cursor-theme-name=Oxygen_White
    I had to look up the correct name in ~/.kde4/share/config/kcminputrc because "oxygen" gave me KDE Classic.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Chromium should not have to "use" the KDE desktop settings at all. It should get the mouse cursor "automatically".
    TBH, I don't even see a point in GTK having its own cursor theme setting...

    Chromium using a different cursor theme seems to be general problem though:
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-f.../msg00570.html
    Using gtk applications under KDE used to be a lot worse so I can't complain too much. What I hate about this is the mentality it reveals: making sure that gtk applications function properly under KDE is turned into KDE's problem. A cursor theme should be a freedesktop.org setting and not specific to either desktop.

    Thanks for the help!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •