Thread: autosave in emacs 24.5-9.1 in tumbleweed makes a zombie under kernel 4.7.6-1-default

Default autosave in emacs 24.5-9.1 in tumbleweed makes a zombie under kernel 4.7.6-1-default

Recently after the kernel upgade to 4.7.6-1, as far as I know,
    from time to time, quite often, my Dell XPS-15 9550 gives in, when emacs makes an auto-save file in the
    background.

It is like a zombie out of linux:
    What I mean by that is
    1. command "ls" is greeted by "ls: no such command'
    2. Rebooting the machine fails. I have to hard-reset the machine and need to boot the machine
    in the recover-mode. Everytime, the machine recovers well.
    However, I cannot login with the user ID any more, although I am still in /etc/passwd.

After the first incidence with the BTRFS / partition that includes the /home, I re-installed
    tumbleweed with the XFS / and /home separately. Yet, all this emacs trouble is still going on
    for more than three days by now.

I inserted two lines
    (setq make-backup-files nil) ; stop creating backup~ files
    (setq auto-save-default nil) ; stop creating #autosave# files

in .emacs file in order let emacs not autosave.

Does anyone have any similar problems recently?

Thank you in advance.

KBSISNOPBS

Blog Entries

Default Re: autosave in emacs 24.5-9.1 in tumbleweed makes a zombie under kernel 4.7.6-1-default

Are you running Emacs as a console or graphical app in a graphical Desktop?
    If so, you should identify the Desktop.

You need to identify your TW release, you can display it in
    Code:
    cat /etc/os-release
    If you're running a graphical app, try running in a console window to see if there is a difference.

If you're running in a graphical Desktop, are you saying that the entire Desktop is frozen in some way that you say you need to do a hard reset?

If your system is not completely frozen, you can try opening up a new console window and inspecting the last 10 lines or so of the system log to see if there is anything there. You can also launch top and see if a process is running wild, sucking up all CPU cycles or memory.

Although nothing is impossible, I can't remember the last time I ran any kind of text editor in a windowed console that caused a screen freeze...

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re: autosave in emacs 24.5-9.1 in tumbleweed makes a zombie under kernel 4.7.6-1-default

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Are you running Emacs as a console or graphical app in a graphical Desktop?
    If so, you should identify the Desktop.

You need to identify your TW release, you can display it in
    Code:
    cat /etc/os-release
    If you're running a graphical app, try running in a console window to see if there is a difference.

If you're running in a graphical Desktop, are you saying that the entire Desktop is frozen in some way that you say you need to do a hard reset?

If your system is not completely frozen, you can try opening up a new console window and inspecting the last 10 lines or so of the system log to see if there is anything there. You can also launch top and see if a process is running wild, sucking up all CPU cycles or memory.

Although nothing is impossible, I can't remember the last time I ran any kind of text editor in a windowed console that caused a screen freeze...

TSU

Thank you for your kind reply;

"cat /etc/os-release" shows at the current update level
    NAME="openSUSE Tumbleweed"
    # VERSION="20161023"
    ID=opensuse
    ID_LIKE="suse"
    VERSION_ID="20161023"
    PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE Tumbleweed"
    ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
    CPE_NAME="cpe:/opensuse:tumbleweed:20161023"

There were two issues in fact,
    - The login greeter "lightdm" got a bug recently. I switched to my login manager program from lightdm to gdm. Then, login problem disappeared.
    - By now, the ultimate zombie problem seems to be a hardware issue related to my SSD.
    When the machine becomes a zombie and I give the simple "ls" command, the machine responds as

If `ls' is not a typo, you can use command-not-found to look up the package that contains it, like this
    cnf ls

Does the above response from the machine ring a bell?

Thanks in advance.