Thread: Trying to read DjVu document

Default Trying to read DjVu document

I am trying to open a djvu document with djview4 and all I am getting is an error window called 'Decoding GjVu document' and a string of
    messages saying: "Cannot decode page n. Failed to open '<documentname>.djvu': No such file or directory"

It recognises that the document contains 348 pages, but they are not found.

Does anyone know how to use DjVu in stand-alone mode (i.e. not as browser plugin)?

I have the following versions
    djvulibre 3.5.25.3-5.2 (and corresponding lib)
    djvulibre-djview4 4.10-3.5

Default Re: Trying to read DjVu document

afaik Okular supports djvu formats why not open it in okular?
    That djvu might be corrupted I'm not really sure how to test a djvu file

just had a thougth
    you can try and use sumatrapdf to read the djvu file, sumatrapdf works nice under wine (I use the 64bit version without any issues)
    https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/dow...df-viewer.html

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    afaik Okular supports djvu formats why not open it in okular?
    That djvu might be corrupted I'm not really sure how to test a djvu file
    Well, the djvu file I downloaded from the internet is only a few hundred bytes long, so I presume it wants to find other files from the internet as well.

Or should I find them and download them myself...seems to be defeating the purpose, though?

DjVu files are scan document files and I'd expect much larger then a few hundred bytes. Also as far as I know that format is self contained and does not support getting files or other resources from the web like a doc file can.

as gogalthorp said djvu's are a collection of one or two layered scanned images with an optional ocer-ed text layer, a djvu document usually uses 20k per page (this depends on the content it could be a lot more or a lot less) so a 300 page document should be around 6M, ether your download was interrupt and you didn't get the whole file or you got redirected to a html page (this happens if you use a download manager) you can open that file in a hex viewer to see what kind of format it is but a redownload should fix things, what I can say is that Okular does support djvu files as I've opened a few with it but personally I find Okular too big and bloated and prefer lighter readers qpdfview also supports djvu
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/qpdfview