Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dual boot on separate drives problem

Default Re: Dual boot on separate drives problem

Hi raspu,

I think that the problem is grub2 and legacy boot. I don't have /boot. Perhaps I need to set it up? Or just use Suse 13.1

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/502363-Partition-Setup-for-Dual-Boot-with-OpenSUSE-13-2-Legacy-BIOS-amp-Grub2/page2

d

Typo in the thread mentioned above, should be:

Code:
    grub2-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdb
    If you don't have /boot you installed Grub to MBR. Have an eye on the last screen before copying of files to HDD starts during installation! There you see where your Grub will be installed to (or nowhere at all!)

PS: Dual boot with 13.2 and Win on legacy BIOS running fine here on several machines. No problem at all!
    Kind regards

raspu

Hi raspu,

I just went back to the installation stage. Since I didn't have the /boot device. I created it and I chose to install bootcode in it.It has ext4 formatting.
    There was some option with red letters, warning about the fact that grub is not installed and whether I am sure I should continue.
    I chose the other option to be don't install bootcode in the MBR. I fear that this will delete windows, at least I remember that by doing this last time, deleted the windows boot option. Actually I don't understand whether this MBR is on /sdb or on /sda.
    Let's see what will happen this time. Cross fingers.

I tried explicitly asking to install grub2 in
    Code:
    /boot
    but still not able to boot.
    Is it possible to check the
    Code:
    /boot
    directory. I tried looking at
    Code:
    df -hT
    and found a boot directory under

Code:
    /mounts/mp_0001/boot/grub2
    but this directory is empty. I don't know whether I am looking at something which is part of the rescue system or these are folders form my /sdb device.

I tried to
    Code:
    mount -a /dev/sdb /mnt
    , but the boot folder is empty.

I don't really understand why this is the case, since i explicitly asked to install the boot loader there.

/boot is a directory in / you can have a separate boot partition where /boot can live but is not normally needed.

if no boot partition then / is the boot partition since /boot lives there and not in a separate boot partition.

Installing grub in MBR you don't need to install grub in which ever is the boot partition but it does no harm either.

If you use generic boot code in MBR (best for dual boot with Windows) then you must install grub in the partition that has /boot be it / or a boot partition mounted as /boot

Hi,

I added the /boot in the extended partition which encompasses the entire hard drive
    Code:
    sdb
    . At the time of install I asked it to install in
    Code:
    /boot
    If I understand you correctly. I can skip adding boot to the extended partition and just tell the installation to install to the MBR.
    In the default case I am getting the warning

Code:
    warning no location for bootloader stage1 selected
    P.S.
    Since I have /dev/sda (windows hdd) and /dev/sdb (linux hdd) on which of those is the MBR located? I fear that by choosing to put the boot loader in the MBR windows will not start

I tried everything. I instructed open suse to install the bootloader on the MBR no difference. Perhaps this hard drive can not be booted. No idea what happened.

Create a new, single NTFS partition with Win. Shutdown. Remove the Win HDD and install 13.2, see if it boots...
    Kind regards

raspu

I got it working by flipping the hard drives. I don't understand why it worked but it did. The first time I started Linux it printed some warnings regarding mapping the devices, but then everything was ok.

...your BIOS wants to boot from sda, not that strange, after all...
    Kind regards

raspu

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123