Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot on separate drives problem

Default Dual boot on separate drives problem

Dear all,

I tried installing Open Suse 13.2 and Windows 7 in a dual boot mode on separate hard drives. I managed to install Linux on the selected hard drive (Win 7 was already on), but it was not possible to boot from it. As far as I understand one has to boot from the Linux drive and make the proper mapping in grub (according to https://en.opensuse.org/SDBual_boot_on_2_drives).
    Unfortunately, booting from the Linux drive was impossible. I tried, disabling the other drive and the DVD form the BIOS by leaving only the Linux drive, but still I was not able to boot. The only suspicious part is that the BIOS designates my second hard drive as "removable media". The PC where I try to complete the installation is about 7 years old, so there is no UEFI.

I would appreciate your help.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dual boot on separate drives problem

That opensuse wiki page on dual boot is a bit old. It's from the time when opensuse was using grub (or grub1 or legacy grub).

But now I'm not sure how you installed.

Typically, you can tell the BIOS which disk to boot first.

So here's some information from you that would be helpful:
    1. How did you boot the installer?
    2. Does the opensuse system use grub (original legacy grub) or grub2 or something else?
    3. Can you boot into your system with the supergrub disk (use google to find that)?
    opensuse Leap 42.3; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

Hi,

I installed Opensuse 13.2 in much the same way I did on my other PC. The problem is that the bios does not see any possibility to boot.
    I didn't try the supergrub disk but I will definitely will. I can't really see what was installed on the hard drive because windows can't see it. Therefore, I can't tell which version of grub is used.

Blog Entries

If you went with the install defaults, then you are probably using grub2. If you upgraded from an older opensuse system (instead of doing a clean install), then I'm not sure what you used.

If you are able to boot the system with a supergrub (or supergrub2) disk, that will make it easier to resolve the problems.

Thank you for your help and for your suggestions.

In detail:
    I did a clean install of Opensuse 13.2. I used a separate hard drive, which was at that time visible under windows 7. I did clean install 2 times, once with my custom partitioning - ext4 for / and /home and the second time I used Open Suse default partitioning. I did the second install, because I was thinking, that something went wrong when using the expert partitioner. Unfortunately, to no avail. What open suse suggested was using different than ext4 formatting, for / and /home, but kept the sizes of / /home and /swap.

I found many options for super grub, do you have some particular suggestion that in your experience works best?

With MBR you must install something in the MBR. either generic boot code (and set a boot flag and install grub2 to the boot partition) or install grub2 code to MBR. Be sure those things are set. Should be no problem with expert mode so you can use what ever file system you want

Hi!

Quite often I saw that 13.2 was NOT installing any Grub at all by default! Have an eye on the summary screen during installation, before the copying of files to the HDD starts:

One of the first options is for Grub to be installed in MBR or / and more than once I had BOTH options disabled. Choose to enable one or the other option before proceeding with installation.
    Kind regards

raspu

It won't explicitly install grub if booted in EFI mode but it will want an efi FAT format boot partition. If booting MBR then you should always verify where grub2 goes

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    It won't explicitly install grub if booted in EFI mode but it will want an efi FAT format boot partition. If booting MBR then you should always verify where grub2 goes
    Always legacy install, in my case... :-)
    Kind regards

raspu

Blog Entries

Some general comments on using a separate disk.

By far, the easiest way to get that working is to install grub2 in the MBR of the primary disk. There might be reasons to not like this, but it is the most likely to work without extra effort.

Another method is to set the boot order in the BIOS to boot the second disk. But for that, you have to be careful when installing. When the BIOS sets the boot order that way, it acts as if the second disk is really the first disk. So the BIOS calls stored in grub boot code need to know this. When installing grub2, there's a place where you can set the disk order, and you have to set the second disk (the one you are booting from) to be first in disk order. That's what ensures that the boot code uses the same disk order as the BIOS.

Another method, and what I would probably use, is to use the Windows boot manager. To do that, I would install booting from the root partition of the linux disk. But I would configure it so that the disk order has the Windows disk first in boot order. Because that is what is going to be assumed by the BIOS calls made from the Windows boot manager.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast