Will Leap 42.2 ship with LXDE or LXQT?

Hi

I can’t seem to find information about this…

Will Leap 42.2 ship with LXDE or with LXQt?

If it’s LXQt, is it the 0.11 version???

Thanks

With both.

If it’s LXQt, is it the 0.11 version???

Yes, 0.11 has been accepted to 42.2 two days ago.

GREAT NEWS :smiley:

But isn’t it a waste of space to ship the DVD with LXDE as well (specially since it’s planned for it to go down the drain)???

LXDE could be available for download as a pattern instead…

both lxde and kxqt are tiny compared to gnome 3 or plasma 5
DVD?
unless you have limited bandwidth or you install on multiple machines what’s the point of the dvd as opensuse is constantly updated the dvd will become obsolete in a week or two, if you have a running 13.x or 42.1 just do a live upgrade if not use the net installer and only download packages you need (without gnome or plasma 5) the installer will download a lot less then 4.2 GB

lxde won’t be going down the drain it just won’t be upgraded, if the main devs decided to move to qt5 from gtk2 it doesn’t mean someone else won’t pickup the project give it time and see, kde3 is still maintained by the trinity project and it was abandoned by the kde devs almost 8 years ago

For clarity,
I don’t know whether LXDE will continue to be offered as a standard “other” Desktop option if LXQT might be offered as it has been up to LEAP 42.1,
But I expect that both will be available along with other Desktops like Enlightenment if you check to use the online repositories during your install (Checking this box turns your install into a NET type install instead of an offline DVD install).

If someone already knows exactly what will be offered as an offline install, they can update on my speculation.

TSU

For Beta3, it is still LXDE available on the DVD.

RC1 should be out next week. Whatever we see there is probably what will be on the final release (though with updates for the final release).

That’s definitely true for Tumbleweed, less so for a fixed release as Leap.
Though of course there will be updates too, and after a while the updates may be quite many.

Anyway, I never said both will be part of the DVD.
I don’t know really.
There’s quite much stuff missing from the DVD due to space limitations…

Both are/will be part of the standard online repo though.

lxde won’t be going down the drain it just won’t be upgraded, if the main devs decided to move to qt5 from gtk2 it doesn’t mean someone else won’t pickup the project give it time and see, kde3 is still maintained by the trinity project and it was abandoned by the kde devs almost 8 years ago

Right, this is open source after all.

In the case of LXDE/LXQT, AIUI only some developers left to create LXQT, the rest keep LXDE alive/updated.
Though I don’t think anyone really plans to upgrade LXDE to use GTK3 (that was actually the reason to even consider using Qt instead), they rather will stick to GTK2 I think.
But I’m not really involved there.

Ok, enjoying LXQt so far.

But there’s one thing bothering me: Why is there a xdg-su window, where one has to insert password and can’t close it while one, for example, wants to be working with yast???

Visible here: https://en.opensuse.org/images/thumb/9/95/LXQT_yast_42.2.png/800px-LXQT_yast_42.2.png

This was not present at LXDE. In LXDE we would get a dialog to insert root password and after that it would go away.

Is this a LXQt “problem” or an OpenSuse problem?

Has anyone have any idea?

(Update: Thought this https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/503877-super-user-for-lxqt?highlight=lxqt+xdg would already be solved by now…)

It is a “problem” in xdg-su.
It doesn’t support/know LXQT, and therefore uses the fallback path, running “su -” in a terminal window.

Though LXQT support has actually been added in the latest update (also released for 42.2), from the update description:

This update for xdg-utils fixes the following issues:

- boo#959912: xdg-su did not recognize LXQt session, add LXQt support

The following changes are also included:

- xdg-mime: support for KDE Frameworks 5.6
- xdg-mime does not write the file it reads in a query (BR95051)
- xdg-screensaver: Add cinnamon-screensaver D-Bus API support.
- xdg-open: standardize output redirection style

(patchinfo - openSUSE Build Service)

So check that you installed all updates.

And also check that lxqt-sudo is installed, if it isn’t found xdg-su will use the fallback too.

What you describe and a few other problems I’ve noticed suggest that 42.2 still does not support LXQt (and LXDE) properly and completely.

At the moment, the <only> 100% solution I’ve found is to

• Install 42.1 with online sources enabled which supports installing LXDE initially as your Desktop
  • You can then add the LXQt Desktop
  • After the above, <then> upgrade to 42.2

The result is a fully working LXQt without the xdg-su window, fully installs all the LXQt applications, the menu structure and configuration is complete, the LXDE login page exists, and as far as I can see all the window decorations are installed and working.

It’s very different than the many attempts I tried to install LXDE/LXQt into 42.2 directly.

TSU

For comparison so anyone can compare their LXQt Desktop to what I believe is “complete”

https://en.opensuse.org/images/c/c1/42.1_42.2_LXQt.png

That’s exactly what i already done, however without knowing that doing it any other way would not work so well :p. Lucky me :smiley: (thanks anyway!:))

However…

I was missing this part. After i installed lxqt-sudo everything was alright! Thanks you so much for the tip :smiley:

I’m curious how you might have been missing lxqt-sudo…

Your screenshot has elements that are more typical of KDE than any other Desktop, so am wondering if you ever had KDE installed before you upgraded to 42.2 or if you might have added those items on your own. If you look at my screenshot, if you started with an LXDE/LXQt before upgrading you should only see a trashcan and have the LEAP background with a lightbulb.

TSU

I am using LXQt, installed using the LEAP 42.2 pattern, regularly and the only thing I can see that is missing is an editor. I don’t get any problems of persistent password dialogs; they all disappear straight away.

I’ve noticed that the lxqt opensuse themes from X11:LXQt haven’t been build for 42.2 they’re there for 42.1
imo they’re much nicer then the default themes that ship with lxqt
http://software.opensuse.org/package/lxqt-theme-openSUSE-default
http://software.opensuse.org/package/lxqt-theme-openSUSE-light
http://software.opensuse.org/package/lxqt-theme-openSUSE-leaper
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/LXQt
the source is available they can be manually rebuild but I don’t get why they’re not in the main repo or the lxqt repo?

ps.
The current 42.2 build of lxqt does not require xdg-su for anymore

Well, no, LXQT doesn’t require xdg-su and never did.
But certain application menu entries (like YaST e.g.) use xdg-su to run the application as root.

xdg-su is just a shell script though. It checks on which desktop it is running and then calls an appropriate command to actually run the app as root.
Support for LXQT was missing but has been added meanwhile, it uses lxqt-sudo if available (if not it falls back to “su -”, which causes a “persistent” terminal window to appear).

Major indications I’ve observed when LXQt isn’t installed correctly…

• The application launch button, generally at the left-most end of the panel has “IceWM” on it
  • A non-graphical dialog box opens, and often doesn’t disappear when an app is opened that requires elevated permissions. When the app closes, only then the dialog box closes.
  • Missing Qt applications, a test app to look for is QTerminal.
  • Application menu structure is the type that IceWM sets up, and not like any finished Desktop. One way to check is whether “SUSE” is a primary menu category which is an indication that it’s IceWM and not LXQt.
  • I don’t know if it’s critical, but because I install LXQt using the LXDE and XFCE pattern dependencies as defined in 42.1, the “Log off” dialog says “LXDE”

If <all> of the above is satisfied, only then I would think that it’s likely that LXQt is fully and properly installed.

In a way, much of what goes into LXQt on my systems is based on making sure the same LXDE and XFCE pattern dependencies that have existed in previous LEAP and openSUSE releases are installed, it would be informative if anyone associated with LXQt can make an official statement whether this traditional way to set up on openSUSE is the “only and proper” way LXQt should be deployed, or if its design objectives is to also support installing on other Desktop subsystems, particularly KDE/Plasma.

TSU

They - and more - are all satisaied in my case.

I also had KDE before i installed LXQt, but the system was starting to show it’s age and i tried LXQt