***Signal 11*** while booting [openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_64-Snapshot20161010-Media.iso]

Hi,

I am trying to boot the [openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_64-Snapshot20161010-Media.iso] written (with ImageUSB) to an USB stick, on my Aspire R13 (R7-372T).
After I select ‘Installation’, the kernel starts to load successfully, and the 3 green bars start to progress on the bottom of the screen, but shortly after the first (biggest) bar passes the half of it, everything disappears, and only the following can be seen on the bottom for 1-2 minutes:

signal 11

After those 1-2 minutes the computer reboots.

Is there any way I could check some log files to see what’s going on? Anybody else have faced this problem before?

Additional information:

1. I was trying in the past (2-3 months ago) the same thing with an older TUMBLEWEED NET installer, and the same happened. After that I reverted to the offline DVD installer (I think it was LEAP this time), which managed to boot and install properly.
  2. My machine has a relatively new WIFI module (Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A), for which support has been added only recently in the kernel. It is working flawlessly with the latest Ubuntu flavors now. But when I was installing openSuse 2-3 months ago its firmware was broken and unusable by that time.
  3. My system comes with preinstalled (I think it is fake-)RAID 0 (2x256Gb SSD), and it cannot be changed from BIOS (but I don’t anyway have any problems with it, just thinking if this could cause some problems when booting the openSuse NET install). When I was booting the DVD installer it managed to recognize it and work with it without problems.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You,
Vetko.

I might have found something relevant: https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=968826

As I already said it in my previous post, when installing from the DVD version I had no wifi in openSuse, because the firmware for it was broken. I had to manually overwrite the firmware files from some 3rd party repository.
How come *Ubuntu has it fixed in its latest 16.04.01 LTS release, but in the openSuse Tumbleweed version is not? Shouldn’t it have the latest kernel/firmware versions?

I wouldn’t know for sure, but generally speaking any fix has to be submitted for acceptance upstream, evaluated, accepted and integrated before the contribution might start to appear downstream.

So, it can take some time for the whole process to execute to where everyone will have a patch other than where the patch was first contributed.

TSU

I tried all the recent NET installers but none of them works on my machine: Tumbleweed, Leap 42.1, Leap 42.2 RC.
The offline installers tend to work (or to boot at least - even if my WiFi card is not recognized in some cases).

Doesn’t this mean that there is a bug in the NET installers? They should handle unrecognized hardware by failing softly (displaying a proper error message), rather than letting signal 11 to be thrown at the user.

P.S.: Is there any way to check the logs to see what’s going on?

So I tried the Tumbleweed **DVD **installation, and not only **it booted fine **but also it detected my Broadcom WiFi, listed all the available networks and connected to mine.

The DVD installation is working flawlessly, but the NET installation still throws signal 11. As I would like to help solving this issue, could somebody point me out how to check what the problem could be with the NET installer?

Best to use hard wired Internet for net install not all WiFi are supported out of the box

Yes, but the only problem is that my computer does not have an ethernet adapter. If there is no intention to fix this issue in the NET installer, then OK, I’ll simply stick with the DVD installer.

Well some WiFi drivers are proprietary and openSUSE is open source only.

But then how could the DVD installer work and detect my WiFi? I would say this is a NET installer issue.

Well, the NETinstall ISO is just a minimal system that also downloads the actual installer from the Internet, while the full DVD does not need to access the Internet and probably doesn’t even setup a WiFi connection.

Maybe there’s something missing (certain firmware?) that would be required in your case.
It might also be that you experienced a general problem that was fixed in a later Tumbleweed version.

You could try with a newer version (also the installation ISOs get updated whenever there is a new Tumbleweed “release”), if the problem persists in the latest one you should probably file a bug report (if you want to see that fixed that is).
The NETinstall ISO does work fine in general (also with WiFI AFAIK), so the problem may not be noticed.

A FYI -
The LEAP 42.1 DVD does support setting up WiFi (I remember a number of issues which were resolved during Beta) during an install,
And I’d expect that the TW DVD iso should also although I haven’t actually done so personally.

TSU

It may support it, but it definitely doesn’t do it automatically (as you’d at least need to select a WiFi network to connect to and maybe even provide a password).
The crash likely happens when the system is actually trying to download something (which the full DVD also doesn’t do anyway, unless you add online repos during the installation).

You can install using the net installer without an ethernet port if you use a usb-to-ethernet adapter. I don’t know if they all work, but I just installed with one from StarTech.