DigiKam 5.2.0 ... Image Editor missing a lot of functions.

A recent snapshot (20161003) brought in DigiKam 5.2.0

The Image Editor is now missing a lot of functions, from the Main Menu: ‘Colour’, ‘Enhance’, ‘Decorate’, and ‘Effects’ have no content.

My first thought was a missing package…

Installed components are:
digikam version 5.2.0
Eigen: 3.2.9
Exiv2: 0.25
KF5: 5.26.0
LensFun: 0.3.2-0
LibCImg: 130
LibJPEG: 80
LibJasper: 1.900.1
LibLCMS: 2080
LibPGF: 7.15.32
LibPNG: 1.6.25
LibRaw: 0.18.0-201604
LibTIFF: LIBTIFF, Version 4.0.6 Copyright (c) 1988-1996 Sam Leffler Copyright (c) 1991-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
Marble: 0.25.1 (stable release)
Qt: 5.7.0
Kipi-Plugins: 5.2.0
LibGphoto2: 2.5.10
LibKipi: 5.1.0
LibOpenCV: 3.1.0

… but maybe not?

Hm, works fine here on 13.2 (packages from my repo):
http://wstaw.org/m/2016/10/08/digikam.png

Do you maybe still have any old digikam-plugin-* packages installed?
Those plugins are integrated into the image editor now AFAIK, so there shouldn’t be a need to install any plugins.

I don’t see anything in the build log that would indicate that those options are not being compiled in.
Maybe try to run “kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental”, may be caused by an outdated cache.

Guess I see the same thing as the OP. Packages are from KDE_Extra repo for TW. I’ll switch to the stock TW packages ( means digikam -> digikam5 ) and see if the issue persists

No, version 5.2.0 is named digikam in Tumbleweed too, not digikam5 (that’s the name I use in my repo to be able to install it side-by-side with the KDE4 version).

There should not really be a difference between KDE:Extra and the stock Tumbleweed package though, as KDE:Extra is the devel project, the package from there is submitted as-is to Tumbleweed.

Mistake. The digikam5 packages are from wolfi’s repo … :-(, shame on me.

I had already tried Ctrl-M to see if the menu had been deactivated, no result at all

Though I did not expect it to help, I did run

kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental

and ran digikam again. Guess what, Ctrl-M now reveals the menu and it’s underlying functions. Thanks a lot Wolfi

No… only these:

paul@Orion-Tumble:~$ rpm -qa "*digikam*"
digikam-5.2.0-2.1.x86_64
libdigikamcore5-5.2.0-2.1.x86_64
paul@Orion-Tumble:~$ 

paul@Orion-Tumble:~$ rpm -qa "*kipi-plugins*"
kipi-plugins-5.2.0-2.1.x86_64

Hmm…

paul@Orion-Tumble:~$ kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental
kbuildsycoca5 running...
Recreating ksycoca file ("/home/paul/.cache/ksycoca5_en-GB_tZOl6sxHcKIQYcGaH7KzKKq18Rk=", version 303)
Saving

Running “kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental” in my case has not resulted in the missing (sub)menu entries for ‘Colour’, ‘Enhance’, ‘Decorate’, and ‘Effects’ appearing.

What I have discovered however is a new user does not exhibit this problem.

I wonder could it perhaps be caused by the ‘Migration Assistant’ that I chose to run at first startup of V5*

Also, I’m a little confused as to where and which configuration files V5* actually uses…

OK…

It seems to have been caused by “something” in ‘~/.local/share/digikam’.

Temporarily renaming that has restored the missing functions in the image editor.

If I find time later, I’ll progressively add back the (old) files to try to find the offending one.

Hm, that directory is completely empty here anyway.

AFAIK, this would only contain customizations to the GUI (like rearranging toolbars and so on), so you could probably just delete it.
But yes, maybe some KDE4 file has been copied over that the KF5 version doesn’t like.

Yes, that’s how it was for the new user I created.

AFAIK, this would only contain customizations to the GUI (like rearranging toolbars and so on), so you could probably just delete it.

The only thing I’ve found so far that needs to be there are the two *.xml files that contain the ‘Metadata Templates’ and ‘Camera Settings’

But yes, maybe some KDE4 file has been copied over that the KF5 version doesn’t like.

There were lots of ‘kipiplugin_*.rc’ files which I guess were all from the KDE4 version. They now seem to reside in ‘~/.local/share/kxmlgui5/digikam/’

The file that was causing the actual problem seems to have been ‘digikamui.rc’

Sorry, no it wasn’t. I inadvertently copied two files back at once…

It was actually ‘digikamimagewindowui.rc’

Ah yes. I never changed those settings here though.
(Actually I’m not really using digikam at all)

There were lots of ‘kipiplugin_*.rc’ files which I guess were all from the KDE4 version. They now seem to reside in ‘~/.local/share/kxmlgui5/digikam/’

Yes, seems so.
The migrator just copies everything from ~/.kde4/share/apps/digikam/ to ~/.local/share/digikam/ though.
May be worth a bug report.

According to the name this seems to contain the “window/GUI settings” for the image editor, yes.

Apparently the GUI has changed too much in the KF5 version, so the KDE4 file causes problem or something like that.
May be also worth a bug report, in that case it would probably be better to just skip migrating that file to prevent such problems.

Unsure of where to report that. For the moment I’ve appended a comment on this 364258 – 4.x application configuration rc files are ignored [patch] bug report.

FYI, two people reported the same problem in the last days:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=370252
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=370331

And it has been fixed now (in 5.3.0).

As I understand it this didn’t only happen when migrating the config from the KDE4 version, but also if you just edited the tool bars…