Thread: plasma performance

Unhappy plasma performance

Hi yall!

Ok, so I've been having crummy performance problems ever since I installed. This machine is an i5 with 4GB RAM. What I do with this machine is recover data from hard drives, and I have an auxiliary storage drive and an nfs share in my fstab, which is the most tinkering I've done under the hood.

What happens is that after a few hours the RAM usage is maxed out and CPU idles around 25% and has ZERO swap! I've been running this system for a couple months and I've only seen it use swap one single time. Only once! And that was before I upped swappiness to 90. Ok, whatever, I don't normally use swap on my personal machines but I figured it would come in handy for this one since I'm doing alot more. So, swap is out the window, ignore that, bye-bye! So, when the system load monitor shows my memory is taken up, the system slows to a crawl. Sometimes it's so bad I have to switch to another getty and reboot there. The worst part is that this happens just sitting there without me using it at all.

Baloo was the main culprit, but plasmashell is also doing it. Baloo is ripped out now, so reboots are down to once a day. Plasmashell is still giving me problems, it wants >4GB virtual ram... and swap is still zero! Other ram metrics are normal, like ~100MB. Virt ram doesn't mean jack according to all the linux gurus, so why is it only after virt ram gets way out of hand I start having problems?

I guess that segues into another question in case no one knows what to do... how do I get rid of plasma, and what other DE's can I get that are stable? (My experience with fresh installs using MATE left me with a broken window manager every time) If I go this route I'm gonna request a little hand-holding because I've never had success switching DE or WM on any distro.

Default Re: plasma performance

Quote Originally Posted by jdwhatnot View Post
    Hi yall!

Ok, so I've been having crummy performance problems ever since I installed. This machine is an i5 with 4GB RAM. What I do with this machine is recover data from hard drives, and I have an auxiliary storage drive and an nfs share in my fstab, which is the most tinkering I've done under the hood.

What happens is that after a few hours the RAM usage is maxed out and CPU idles around 25% and has ZERO swap! I've been running this system for a couple months and I've only seen it use swap one single time. Only once! And that was before I upped swappiness to 90. Ok, whatever, I don't normally use swap on my personal machines but I figured it would come in handy for this one since I'm doing alot more. So, swap is out the window, ignore that, bye-bye! So, when the system load monitor shows my memory is taken up, the system slows to a crawl. Sometimes it's so bad I have to switch to another getty and reboot there. The worst part is that this happens just sitting there without me using it at all.

Baloo was the main culprit, but plasmashell is also doing it. Baloo is ripped out now, so reboots are down to once a day. Plasmashell is still giving me problems, it wants >4GB virtual ram... and swap is still zero! Other ram metrics are normal, like ~100MB. Virt ram doesn't mean jack according to all the linux gurus, so why is it only after virt ram gets way out of hand I start having problems?

I guess that segues into another question in case no one knows what to do... how do I get rid of plasma, and what other DE's can I get that are stable? (My experience with fresh installs using MATE left me with a broken window manager every time) If I go this route I'm gonna request a little hand-holding because I've never had success switching DE or WM on any distro.
    what graphic card and driver are you using?
    if intel plasma 5 needs uxa acceleration
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Switch_x...o-intel_to_UXA
    if nvidia install the propitiatory driver the hard way
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way

there are a lot of other desktops lxde lxqt gnome mate cinnamon ...

Arrow Re: plasma performance

I'm actually running the radeon driver. And from lspci:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Oland XT [Radeon HD 8670 / R7 250/350]

So anyway, I found the appropriate wiki for installing lxqt. I installed the pattern like it said and.... it doesn't work. Selecting lxqt from the drop down menu on the login screen takes me right back to plasma. And then trying to remove the pattern:

daniel@linux-oyy7:~> sudo zypper remove -t pattern lxqt
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

The following package is going to be REMOVED:
    patterns-openSUSE-lxqt

The following pattern is going to be REMOVED:
    lxqt

1 package to remove.
    After the operation, 50.0 B will be freed.

lolwut? Like I said, I have such bad luck with these.

Ohh well, everyone have a good weekend!

did you install the propitiatory amd driver, there are no good open sourced drivers for ati chips
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx
    is that a desktop because as far as I know i5's have build-in gpu's and unless you disable them in bios they tend to do the video processing, intel+nvidia combinations need a special driver I don't know about intel+amd
    regarding lxqt it runs good under leap I'm not sure why you're having issues under TW
    try adding the lxqt repo and pulling all lxqt packages (there aren't that many of them) also pull pcfm-qt

Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/LXQt/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/X11:LXQt.repo
    zypper in lxqt* pcmanfm-qt pavucontrol-qt
    you might have a bad repo causing problems tell us your repo list
    Code:
    zypper lr -d

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    did you install the propitiatory amd driver, there are no good open sourced drivers for ati chips
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx
    is that a desktop because as far as I know i5's have build-in gpu's and unless you disable them in bios they tend to do the video processing, intel+nvidia combinations need a special driver I don't know about intel+amd
    regarding lxqt it runs good under leap I'm not sure why you're having issues under TW
    try adding the lxqt repo and pulling all lxqt packages (there aren't that many of them) also pull pcfm-qt

Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/LXQt/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/X11:LXQt.repo
    zypper in lxqt* pcmanfm-qt pavucontrol-qt
    you might have a bad repo causing problems tell us your repo list
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Hi
    Watch out, no fglrx for Tumbleweed, no support for the users card even with amdgpu-pro if they ever make one for rpm based distros.

The new oss one is amdgpu for GCN cards, could try switching to it?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Watch out, no fglrx for Tumbleweed, no support for the users card even with amdgpu-pro if they ever make one for rpm based distros.

The new oss one is amdgpu for GCN cards, could try switching to it?
    don't i5's have a build-in intel gpu, why not use that one?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    don't i5's have a build-in intel gpu, why not use that one?
    Hi
    The OP will have to confirm if it's a dual GPU setup.

Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk |grep -A3 VGA
    I run GNOME with radeon or amdgpu, Xorg or Wayland and have had no issues, so maybe it is two gpu's fighting for control....?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!