Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [KDE] No wallet auto-login

Default [KDE] No wallet auto-login

Plasma 5 supports auto-login (via PAM I guess?) into the wallet for quite a while now, however it doesn't work here in my install.

How do I enable it in tumbleweed?

Default Re: [KDE] No wallet auto-login

Quote Originally Posted by faos View Post
    Plasma 5 supports auto-login (via PAM I guess?) into the wallet for quite a while now, however it doesn't work here in my install.

How do I enable it in tumbleweed?
    PS:
    Some blog post I found:
    http://martys.typepad.com/blog/2015/...gin-again.html
    https://www.dennogumi.org/2014/04/un...llet-with-pam/

Notice that these are old and everything is upstreamed by now.

I do not really understand your question, and others may not either.

If you mean that you cannot login to a Plasma5 session without a password; I think that you may need to choose another Desktop Manager than sddm -- try kdm or lightdm
    YaST → System /etc/sysconfig Editor → Desktop → Display manager → DISPLAYMANAGER

If you mean a passwordless login to KWallet then you can set the password to be blank (empty).

Then you may mean something else entirely.
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

Quote Originally Posted by eng-int View Post
    I do not really understand your question, and others may not either.
    I have set the kwallet password to the same as my login password.
    This way plasma will "AUTOMAGICAL" unlock your wallet on login.

I know that KDE supports it and I experience it in other distributions (e.g Chakra).

It was at least mentioned in a release log / blog of plasma (which I still need to find), but you if you look at the blogs above you should get the gist of it.

If you mean a passwordless login to KWallet then you can set the password to be blank (empty).
    It's not about pw-less (which is unsafe), but about auto-login, ie convenience to enter your password twice.

You did not mention whether you ha installed “pam_kwallet” and “socat”, which re referenced in yor blog links. they are in the Tumbleweed repository and yan be installed with YaST Software Manager.
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

Blog Entries

I have set the kwallet password to the same as my login password.
    This way plasma will "AUTOMAGICAL" unlock your wallet on login.

I know that KDE supports it and I experience it in other distributions (e.g Chakra).

It was at least mentioned in a release log / blog of plasma (which I still need to find), but you if you look at the blogs above you should get the gist of it.

It's not about pw-less (which is unsafe), but about auto-login, ie convenience to enter your password twice.
    OK, did a quick read through the links provided, followed by a
    Code:
    zypper se kwallet
    , which returns
    Code:
    --+----------------------------+------------------------------------------------+-------  | kwallet-devel              | Safe desktop-wide storage for passwords        | pakket
      | kwallet-devel-32bit        | Safe desktop-wide storage for passwords        | pakket
    i | kwallet-tools              | Safe desktop-wide storage for passwords        | pakket
    i | kwallet-tools-lang         | Safe desktop-wide storage for passwords        | pakket
    i | kwalletd5                  | Safe desktop-wide storage for passwords        | pakket
    i | kwalletd5-lang             | Languages for package kwallet                  | pakket
      | kwalletmanager             | Portefeuillebeheer                             | pakket
    i | kwalletmanager5            | Portefeuillebeheer                             | pakket
    i | libkwalletbackend5-5       | Safe desktop-wide storage for passwords        | pakket
      | libkwalletbackend5-5-32bit | Safe desktop-wide storage for passwords        | pakket
      | libsvn_auth_kwallet-1-0    | KWallet support for Subversion                 | pakket
      | pam_kwallet                | A PAM Module for kwallet signing               | pakket
      | qupzilla-kwallet           | Kwallet plugin for QupZilla                    | pakket
      | qupzilla-kwallet-debuginfo | Debug information for package qupzilla-kwallet | pakket
      | signon-kwallet-extension   | KWallet integration for signon framework       | pakket
    AFAICS the pam_kwallet package needs to be installed. I'll install it and see what happens. Didn't know this was even available, am not too impressed re. security, but hey, it's better than passwordless
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

You did not mention whether you ha installed “pam_kwallet” and “socat”, which re referenced in yor blog links. they are in the Tumbleweed repository and yan be installed with YaST Software Manager.
    Ok, I installed now pam_kwallet (which pulled in socat).

I noticed in Yast, that "gnome-keyring-pam" was already installed - in contrary to pam_kwallet. IMHO pam_kwallet should be a default dependency for plasma 5. How / Where can I report this?

Description of pam_kwallet:
    pam_kwallet - A PAM Module for kwallet signing
    This PAM module allows you to automatically open your kwallet when signing into your account.

Anyway unfortunately this didn't fix it yet for me, still asking for pwd.

I guess the problem is that I created the wallet before I installed pam_kwallet...
    Any clues how to fix it?

pam-wallet may be considered a security leak so I doubt it will be installed by default.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    pam-wallet may be considered a security leak so I doubt it will be installed by default.
    But what about "gnome-keyring-pam"? Seems to me like applying double standards.

Blog Entries

Ok, I installed now pam_kwallet (which pulled in socat).

I noticed in Yast, that "gnome-keyring-pam" was already installed - in contrary to pam_kwallet. IMHO pam_kwallet should be a default dependency for plasma 5. How / Where can I report this?

Description of pam_kwallet:

Anyway unfortunately this didn't fix it yet for me, still asking for pwd.

I guess the problem is that I created the wallet before I installed pam_kwallet...
    Any clues how to fix it?
    I tried a couple of the options from the link by Luca Beltrame ( KDE and openSUSE developper and packager BTW ), but none of them brought a working situation, I think though, it needs to be triggered somewhere,
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast