Apache backuppc configuration problems

I have created a server to backup the various PCs around here. I have chosen backuppc to do the backing up and to manage the backups for me.
Since backuppc is web based, my first steps are to get the web server working. So, I installed the backuppc package from the repos.

Next, get the web server working. Since everything is going to be on my local network, here are the IP address assignments:
192.168.1.1 - my desktop PC (since I am behind other firewalls, the firewall is turned off)
192.168.1.5 - backuppc server (since I am behind other firewalls, the firewall is turned off)

These are the only relavent PCs for this test.

If it matters, I access 192.168.1.5 from 192.168.1.1 with VNC.

On 192.168.1.5:
I activated the apache server. And I restart it when I change its configuration.

I created the /srv/www/htdocs/index.html file (as root) with the following content:

<html><body><h1>O.K.</h1></body></html>

Permissions are 644, owned by root:root.

When I try to access this page, either from the server PC or from my desktop PC, I get the 403 error:
Access forbidden!..

**Access forbidden!**

You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the [EMAIL="webmaster@dummy-host.example.com"]webmaster[/EMAIL].
**Error 403**

[192.168.1.5](http://192.168.1.5/)
Apache

It seems to me that I have followed the steps to getting the webserver working. I can’t seem to find anything in the logs that will explain what I need to change. Would you please help me get pointed in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mark

I admit that I did not study your case to the last bit, but I think I understand that you created a web page /srv/www/htdocs/index.html with owner root:root. I do not know what the permisswions are because you did not tell/show, an omission when the error is a permission problem.

Web pages are not realy something that should be managed by root. They are not realy “system”. Also the web server (Apache) that should read the file, is not run with process owner root, but with process owner wwwrun (at least on my system, please check yours). And wwwrun has as primary group www.

IMHO the web page files in /srv/www/htdocs/index.html should be owned not by root, but by e.g. wwwrun or by another user that is member of the group www (and the files should then be readable for the group of course).

Never do anything as root when not needed.