Thread: adjusting to new Tumbleweed, KF5, Plasma 5

Default adjusting to new Tumbleweed, KF5, Plasma 5

I finally upgraded from 13.2 and decided I would go the Tumbleweed route. If it turns out to not be stable enough for my liking, I figure I can install Leap 42.2 when it comes out. I was a bit shocked when it first started up because I had forgotten the fact that it would be a change to KF5 and Plasma 5. After adjusting a few things more to my liking, I'm overall pretty pleased with the desktop environment. There are, however, a few things I can't resolve and would like suggestions. In order of decreasing importance:

1. I need a replacement for KTimeTracker. I use this tool on a daily basis and after not finding it in the software repos, I found through a Google search that it was removed from KDE 5 because it was "unmaintained". Can anyone recommend an application like it I can use?
    2. In most applications the mouse wheel does well scrolling, appearing to use the "3 lines" setting it has in system preferences. However, in some things, like the "Add Widgets" menu and the application launcher menus it seems like it only scrolls about 3 pixels at a time. This is in no way useful and you basically have to use the scroll bar manually for these menus. What is the differences with these particular scroll areas, and can this behavior be changed?
    3. Speaking of the application launcher, you used to be able to resize the whole popup window like resizing a normal window. Is this not possible any more?
    4. When you hover over an application in the task manager, the popup shows a thumbnail of the window. In KDE4 I was able to turn this thumbnail preview off, I believe in the "Desktop Effects" area of system preferences. I cannot find such a solution here. The only thing I see is in the task manager settings I can turn off "show tooltips", which removes this whole popup. I am fine with a tooltip with the application name, I just don't like the window thumbnail image. Any way to set this?

Overall I'm pretty pleased so far, but it would be nice to be able to resolve these issues, especially #1. One of the things I've always liked about KDE is you can configure almost everything. If you don't quite like how something is, the answer rarely is "too bad we did it that way", it usually is "well, we did it that way but you can also configure it."

Thanks!

Default Re: adjusting to new Tumbleweed, KF5, Plasma 5

Also, I forgot one more thing, which would be #2 if it were in the list above: I had Thunderbird set to "place in system tray" before. Now this option appears to be broken because the command "ksystraycmd" is no longer available. I tried the two Thunderbird add-ons I could find for the system tray and one did not work at all and the second one worked for one day and suddenly stopped working today. Is there a way I can place an arbitrary application in the system tray in Plasma 5?

fiy you can still get kde4 on leap 42.1 (and 42.2) and TW by adding and doing a full vendor change to wolfi323's repo
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/wolfi323:/branches:/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/
    #1 most kde4 apps still work under plasma 5 if an app has been removed in the main repo check for it iin wolfi's repo (the one above)
    #2 not sure probobly can
    #3 I'm not sure what you're asking you can resize the launcher and the icons on it are auto sized depending on the launcher
    #4 yes you can and you found the solution it's to uncheck show tooltips

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    fiy you can still get kde4 on leap 42.1 (and 42.2) and TW by adding and doing a full vendor change to wolfi323's repo
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...SE_Tumbleweed/
    #1 most kde4 apps still work under plasma 5 if an app has been removed in the main repo check for it iin wolfi's repo (the one above)
    KTimeTracker is built by the kdepim4 package in that repository. If I add his repository I should be able to install it then?

#3 I'm not sure what you're asking you can resize the launcher and the icons on it are auto sized depending on the launcher
    By application launcher I mean what shows up when you click on the lizard. In previous versions I could resize this just by hovering over the edge or corner and resizing, as if it were a regular window. Now I can't do that, at least not that I've been able to see.

Thanks!

KTimeTracker is built by the kdepim4 package in that repository. If I add his repository I should be able to install it then?
    I've never used kdepim but yes wolfy has it, he's tweaked the plasma 5 packages to install in /opt/kf5 so they don't conflict with kde4 and he's build the abandoned kde4 packages so you can have both, if you add a packaged from his repo it's recommended you do a full vendor change with his repo
    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/wolfi323:/branches:/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/home:wolfi323:branches:KDE:Frameworks5.repo
    zypper dup --from "Branch project for KDE:Frameworks5 (openSUSE_Tumbleweed)"
    if you don't want to type "Branch project for KDE:Frameworks5 (openSUSE_Tumbleweed)" tell us your repo list (after you've added wolfi's repo)
    there's also a kdepim4 package in oss that should provide KTimeTracker
    http://software.opensuse.org/package/kdepim4
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    By application launcher I mean what shows up when you click on the lizard. In previous versions I could resize this just by hovering over the edge or corner and resizing, as if it were a regular window. Now I can't do that, at least not that I've been able to see.
    the launcher has changed if you click on it you can see the alternative start menu's I haven't tried resizing them, I prefer the old kde3/windows style start menu

the same here, in previous versions it was possible resize the application launcher (I use application menu, one of the alternative but if I switch to application launcher it is the same) window and now not.

and also after the switch I switch back to the previous (I was in application menu, switch to application launcher, then switch back to application menu) all the application menu settings is lost. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    and also after the switch I switch back to the previous (I was in application menu, switch to application launcher, then switch back to application menu) all the application menu settings is lost. :-)
    you can add that to the bucket of list people have against plasma 5 (and it's a big one)