Thread: Chromium crashing before loading

Default Chromium crashing before loading

I installed Chromium, tried to run it and it crashed. I ran it from the console and got

Code:
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/56-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated. please move it to /home/jgw/.config/fontconfig/rendering-options.conf manually
    [10888:10888:0924/183248:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(273)] Failed to create /home/jgw/.config/chromium/SingletonLock: Permission denied
    [10888:10888:0924/183248:ERROR:chrome_browser_main.cc(1516)] Failed to create a ProcessSingleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.
    [10888:10911:0924/183248:ERROR:cache_util.cc(134)] Unable to move cache folder /home/jgw/.config/chromium/ShaderCache/GPUCache to /home/jgw/.config/chromium/ShaderCache/old_GPUCache_000
    [10888:10911:0924/183248:ERROR:cache_creator.cc(134)] Unable to create cache
    [10888:10911:0924/183248:ERROR:shader_disk_cache.cc(589)] Shader Cache Creation failed: -2
    This seemed to imply that it didn't like running alongside Firefox, so I stopped Firefox, then tried again with the same result.

Any suggestions as to how to get it going?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chromium crashing before loading

It looks as if you messed up somewhere. But I'm not sure where.

/home/jgw/.config/chromium/SingletonLock

What's the output from:
    Code:
    ls -ld /home/jgw/ /home/jgw/.config /home/jgw/.config/chromium
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by johngwalker View Post
    I installed Chromium, tried to run it ...
    This seemed to imply that it didn't like running alongside Firefox
    I do not see anything that implies anything about Firefox. Apparently the Chromium launcher is unable to write the “SingletonLock” file (a symbolic link) into “~/.config/chromium/”. You should check that this directory is user writeable and delete any existing SingletonLock and SingletonCookie files. If you delete the “~/.config/chromium/” directory it will be recreated automatically. Have you applied the latest update patches (via YaST-Online-Update or “sudo zypper patch” ?
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

[QUOTE=eng-int;2793863]Apparently the Chromium launcher is unable to write the “SingletonLock” file (a symbolic link) into “~/.config/chromium/”. You should check that this directory is user writeable/QUOTE]

Thanks. I seems that I had created the directory back in May with creator root. This was probably as a result of copying the entire home directory from my previous PC. I don't recall installing Chromium on that, but who knows?

Anyway, problem solved. Many thanks!