Thread: DigiKam - Can't create new album, can't import into existing albums

Exclamation DigiKam - Can't create new album, can't import into existing albums

DigiKam 4.14.0

Attempting to create a new album using "Album ... New ..." results in the new album appearing briefly in the DigiKam album list, then disappearing.

The folder for the created album remains.

Attempting to import photos from a camera or from a local folder results in no existing albums being shown in the "Select Album" window.

Default Re: DigiKam - Can't create new album, can't import into existing albums

Have you ever used it (successfully) before?
    Does the same happen on a fresh user account?

Try to run it on a terminal window (konsole e.g.), maybe there's some helpful error message.

Ignore Album and go to Settings>Collections>Add collection. This creates a Folder which DigiKam then recognises in other operations. Not sure if this is a bug/feature.

Quote Originally Posted by SUSEtoad View Post
    Attempting to create a new album using "Album ... New ..." results in the new album appearing briefly in the DigiKam album list, then disappearing.
    You don't mention if this a new "fresh" digiKam set-up or, if you're working with an existing digiKam database.
    john_hudson
    Ignore Album and go to Settings>Collections>Add collection. This creates a Folder which DigiKam then recognises in other operations. Not sure if this is a bug/feature.
    I use one "Collection" per year -- for my digital cameras since 2007 plus, collections of JPEGs originating from analogue cameras plus, collections for photographs taken by other people.

Need to check if the default digiKam "start-up wizard" for new user directories automatically adds a collection.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Need to check if the default digiKam "start-up wizard" for new user directories automatically adds a collection.
    Checked with digiKam 5.1.0: a Wizard suggests the set up of at least one new Collection when a "new" digiKam user directory is initialised.
    But, if there are no Collections configured then, a new Album can not be created -- until such time as a Collection has been created.

digiKam version 4 (in my case 4.6.0-17.1 running on 13.2) is different to the Qt5 version -- Collections do not seem to be handled as strictly as the newer version -- a default set-up with an empty "Pictures" directory sets a "Collection 0" to be the "Pictures" directory itself -- the place where digiKam stores it's database.
    Also, I can happily create new Albums in this directory -- sorry, "Collection".

It seems that with the Qt5 version the digiKam folks have tidied up the concept of "Collections & Albums" -- it seems that, I'll have to pay some attention to migrating my photos to the Qt5 digiKam world.

Solution was to delete database and run DigiKam to overnight to rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by SUSEtoad View Post
    Solution was to delete database and run DigiKam to overnight to rebuild.
    Good for you to find the solution and then to come back and add it to the thread. It will probably help someone else along the way.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Lightbulb Re: DigiKam - Can't create new album, can't import into existing albums

Possibly not "bad news" -- maybe just "news" (following a couple of crashes reported to the digiKam team):

With digiKam 5.1.0 running on my Leap 42.1 laptop, I finally, had to do the same as SUSEtoad with digital photographs dating back to 2007 (more than 10 000) plus older analogue photographs which had been digitized (more than 500).
    I've created just 2 Collections (digital camera and analogue camera) -- one rubbish per collection -- new didiKam 5.x feature.
    In each Collection I have an Album per year, with sub-albums for each day the photographs were taken.

Everything is now stable -- "touch wood" . . .
    There is a digiKam 5.x note mentioning that, migration of 4.x settings to 5.x is not currently supported . . .