DNS does not work after NetworkManager update

I forgot to mention this. :slight_smile:

Basically, it looks like Network Manager sees the existing /etc/resolv.conf file as manually edited. This means your name resolution will not work unless you actually did manually edit your resolv.conf file with DNS servers you want to use.

If that is not what you did, you can fix the issues like this:

sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.NMupdate
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

Rebooting your system after renaming resolv.conf works too.

After this, you should have a new resolv.conf created by Network Manager, and your name resolution whould be working.

Thank you. You saved me a lot of time here.

I’m GMT +8 and the update was Saturday, I lost more than a day’s work due to lack of connectivity… I hope this kind of error doesn’t occur on opensuse again or I’m out

DNS is still broken. I completely removed resolv.conf and when I connected to a wifi network, it populated my searchlist, but no DNS servers were listed. It doesn’t work with VPN, nor WiFi. I have to manually go into resolv.conf and update the DNS servers everytime I go to a new network. To reiterate: removing resolv.conf and allowing networkmanager to create it still has nothing for DNS server (nameserver config).

Tumbleweed should not be used on a production system. It has been shown to be pretty stable but it is a rolling release with cutting edge software you expect things to break sometimes :open_mouth:

If you modify /etc/resolv.conf manually, NM won’t overwrite it. Try deleting it entirely and restart NetworkManager, or just do (as root)

netconfig -f update

Does that make a difference?

I have the same experience.
netconfig -f update
will not provide the name server in the resolv.conf file.

Read the advice in this thread…

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/525732-No-DNS-resolving-after-update

I have recently been having issues with DNS since the latest update of Tumbleweed. It appears that something is going on where my system cannot resolve host names at all. Local network or wide area network. Nothing I have tried seems to fix the problem, outside of using the snapper rollback trick. I am currently on snapshot 20210210.

Things I have tried:

• disabling IPv6 in YaST
  • running sudo netconfig update -f
  • removing /etc/resolv.conf and restarting NetworkManager

I haven’t found anything else out there to help me resolve this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi
This is a almost 4 year old thread… please start a new one on your issue (Add a reference link to this if needed).