Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grub keeps getting deleted

Blog Entries

Default Re: Grub keeps getting deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Arjoni View Post
    Why can't grub make them again? When i installed opensuse, I selected the grup partition and it automatically added windows.
    Hi
    Because you deleted the windows efi files.... If you had of waited all you would have needed to do was mount the old partition and copied the files over.

You will need to boot from a windows iso image or usb image and repair, no other way as indicated by user gogalthorp.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.2 (x86_64) GNOME 3.20.2
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Because you deleted the windows efi files.... If you had of waited all you would have needed to do was mount the old partition and copied the files over.

You will need to boot from a windows iso image or usb image and repair, no other way as indicated by user gogalthorp.
    Well i learned something new today. Anyway if i use windows recovery USB, will it replace grub? How will i restore grub after that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arjoni View Post
    Well i learned something new today. Anyway if i use windows recovery USB, will it replace grub? How will i restore grub after that?
    Hi
    Copy the existing files under the opensuse directory somewhere safe that you can get to after repairing the windows install, then create a directory under /boot/efi/EFI called opensuse and copy them back, then re add a boot entry with by booting a rescue system and then running efibootmgr (get it repaired fist and then can sort that out).
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.2 (x86_64) GNOME 3.20.2
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

In theory Windows fix should not mess with any other OS but then we are speaking about Windows so.....

Follow what malcolmlewis said back up the openSUSE boot files

Small leason on EFI

EFI boot works different then MBR boot. The UEFI/BIOS looks for a special FAT format partition known as the efi boot partition. In that partition are the files that initiate the boot process for each OS installed each in it's own subdirectory. In addition there is a entry for each in the UEFI flash memory table. The table determines the order of boot. In Linux the partition is mounted as /boot/efi and you can use efibootmgr to edit the EFI flash. see man efibootmgr for details

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123