Thread: how to know where icons on the desktop are linked to or what command they execute

Default how to know where icons on the desktop are linked to or what command they execute

my system is running opensuse leap 42.1 with plasma 5.7.4:
    Laptop=Dell latitude E6510, RAM=8Gb, GPU=GT218 NVS 3100M, CPU=i7 Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
    upgraded 13.2 to leap 42.1, using wolfi repos. I'm running KDE 4.14.18 and plasma 5.7.4, KDE frameworks 5.26.0, KDE applications 16.08.01, Kernel 4.1.27-27-default
    the layout is desktop not folder view.
    If I drag and drop on the desktop an application from a place an icon (may be a link or may be a widget) on the desktop is created.
    After having done this, how can I know where that icon (or link or widget) point to (is linked to) or what it does (what command it execute), in other words the (old) icon (link or widget) properties.
    If I rightclick>icon settings I only get a window that shows me the desktop shortcut.
    many thanks, ciao, pier :-)

Default Re: how to know where icons on the desktop are linked to or what command they execute

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    After having done this, how can I know where that icon (or link or widget) point to (is linked to) or what it does (what command it execute), in other words the (old) icon (link or widget) properties.
    If I rightclick>icon settings I only get a window that shows me the desktop shortcut.

You can't, the properties are still missing because of technical difficulties (if added as in KDE4, they would replace the keyboard shortcut settings).
    It's still work in progress to bring it back, see https://phabricator.kde.org/D2687.

For now, you'd have to look into the Plasma config file directly, ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.
    Or create your shortcuts in a folderview (maybe change the desktop layout to folderview).

Blog Entries

Default Re: how to know where icons on the desktop are linked to or what command they execute

A workaround may be to only create desktop shortcuts from menu items.
    IMO that's the only proper way to execute a program anyway, because it will include the command options you want to see.

That way, you'll always be able to inspect the menu item's properties.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    A workaround may be to only create desktop shortcuts from menu items.
    IMO that's the only proper way to execute a program anyway, because it will include the command options you want to see.

That way, you'll always be able to inspect the menu item's properties.

TSU
    what do you intend for "create desktop shortcuts from menu items."???

what do you intend for "create desktop shortcuts from menu items."???
    Probably the same as I suggested:
    create your shortcuts in a folderview.

my system is running opensuse leap 42.1 with plasma 5.7.4:
    Laptop=Dell latitude E6510, RAM=8Gb, GPU=GT218 NVS 3100M, CPU=i7 Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
    upgraded 13.2 to leap 42.1, using wolfi repos. I'm running KDE 4.14.18 and plasma 5.7.4, KDE frameworks 5.26.0, KDE applications 16.08.01, Kernel 4.1.27-27-default
    the layout is desktop not folder view.
    If I drag and drop on the desktop an application from a place an icon (may be a link or may be a widget) on the desktop is created.
    many thanks, ciao, pier :-)
    A "work in progress"? Why is KDE 5 the default in OpenSUSE 42.2 then? You don't make a unfinished product the default in an OS that people are upgrading to and expect to be a stable replacement for their previous OS.

KDE people stop support of KDE4.

Quote Originally Posted by CountBakula View Post
    A "work in progress"? Why is KDE 5 the default in OpenSUSE 42.2 then?
    FTR, in 42.2 the default setup is to use a folderview as desktop (i.e. a "classical" desktop that shows the content of the ~/Desktop/ folder directly), which does not have this "problem".

You don't make a unfinished product the default in an OS that people are upgrading to and expect to be a stable replacement for their previous OS.
    One (or some) missing features (when there are plenty new ones) is not really a reason to consider it an "unfinished product" though.
    And it doesn't make it a not "stable replacement" either.
    If you'd follow your logic, KDE4 would have never been allowed to become the default too, because it lacks certain features that were in KDE3, even in its last version.

Anyway, I'm going to close this thread now.
    Your reply now is not going to help here in a thread that was about 42.1 and has not seen any further comments since last September.

And actually it seems you only want to cause disturbance anyway, this forum here is for technical help.
    Move your rants to soapbox if you have to...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 25-Jan-2017 at 12:30.