Thread: Zypper Equivalent for apt-get autoremove

Default Re: Zypper Equivalent for apt-get autoremove

Quote Originally Posted by aklaver View Post
    Code:
    zypper packages --unneeded
    It just shows the list of packages. But
    Code:
    apt-get autoremove
    removes them. How to remove them automatically?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akontsevich View Post
    It just shows the list of packages. But
    Code:
    apt-get autoremove
    removes them. How to remove them automatically?
    According to the zypper MAN pages,

As you described, the following only displays remaining unneeded dependencies after a package has been removed
    Code:
    zypper se --unneeded
    and, the following removes said unnecessary dependencies

(long form)
    Code:
    zypper rm --clean-deps
    (short form)
    Code:
    zypper rm -u
    Something nice to know, and to be tested.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Code:
    zypper rm --clean-deps
    Code:
    zypper rm -u
    TSU
    This does not work without package name like autoremove works. See my links above with solution.

Blog Entries

This does not work without package name like autoremove works. See my links above with solution.
    Am testing now. I simply specified the RegEx wildcard (*) for package name on one of my TW/KDE in a virtual machine (so that I have an easy way to snapshot and roll back during testing).

So, the following runs
    Code:
    zypper rm -u *
    zypper is now removing over 3.5Gb of packages deemed currently "unnecessary."

I'm wondering at the moment how this would affect BTRFS rollbacks.

It'll be interesting if the result works, and the consequences.
    Until those consequences are fully known, I'd recommend caution.

Read your links, for now don't believe they are more informative, and they talk about the same commands i describe.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Read your links, for now don't believe they are more informative, and they talk about the same commands i describe.TSU
    Not same, read the message:
    YaST->Software Management->View Package Groups:
    Recommended packages, suggested packages, orphaned packages (not available in any repo), unneeded packages (not required by any other packages).
    Hint: to uninstall all packages in the list, just right-click on the package list and select "All in this list"->"Uninstall".
    Not equivalent, but workaround for now.

Blog Entries

Am testing now. I simply specified the RegEx wildcard (*) for package name on one of my TW/KDE in a virtual machine (so that I have an easy way to snapshot and roll back during testing).

So, the following runs
    Code:
    zypper rm -u *
    zypper is now removing over 3.5Gb of packages deemed currently "unnecessary."

I'm wondering at the moment how this would affect BTRFS rollbacks.

It'll be interesting if the result works, and the consequences.
    Until those consequences are fully known, I'd recommend caution.

Read your links, for now don't believe they are more informative, and they talk about the same commands i describe.

TSU
    First result,
    The command as I described breaks openSUSE, there are errors relating to grub and a reboot is to a MinimalX login that is not functional.

So,
    Until further notice Do not remove unnecessary dependencies arbitrarily.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

did a brief analysis of the packages deemed "unnecessary" using the following command, and... I can't imagine why the listed packages make the list. All of the apps/packages seem to be desirable if not absolutely needed, and AFAIK no alternate packages with replacement functionality are installed.

So,
    Without some kind of explanation why these "unnecessary" packages are recommended for removal, I would not suggest that any should be removed.

For now, I do know if there is any value to the command, and do not recommend removing any packages displayed
    This appears to be the same as the "Unneeded" group in YaST Software Manager

Code:
    zypper packages --unneeded
    Bottom line,
    Whether you use YaST or zypper, do not remove a package just because it appears in any of these lists... unneeded, orphaned, multiversion, etc.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Code:
    zypper rm -u *
    doesn't that command remove every package you basically uninstalled everything
    afaik zypper does not have an equivalent to apt-get automove cleandeps is good when removing packages that might have pulled a lot of dependencies and while zypper doesn't do autoremove it's dependency resolver is great
    regarding unneeded software I've noticed a bug in 42.3 (I don't know about TW) where a lot and I do mean a lot of packages get flagged as unneeded this included some nvidia driver packages (for me) this didn't exist in 42.2 and older
    I didn't really see the need to open a bug report but as a caution:
    Do not remove packages flagged as unneeded in yast (or zypper with zypper packages --unneede) as most of them are needed

Blog Entries

Regarding the idea that these links provide some kind of workaround...

After a careful read,
    IMO
    The idea that Yast displays something different than and works differently than the corresponding zypper commands is not correct, at least today(Can't know what the posters were seeing back in 2014). Yast and zypper display the exact same list of packages and operate on the list the same way.

The only thing in the referenced thread I didn't check is the 3rd party app "rpmorphan."
    As of today, it looks like a currently maintained app but has mainly been developed to support yum and dfs in Fedora. It <may> work on openSUSE but I didn't test.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast