Thread: Need a refresher

Default Need a refresher

I need to install an old version of gramps to export my genealogy file so that I can use it in the latest version of gramps. I downloaded an old version of the rpm. Problem is, I can't remember how to install a downloaded rpm. It wants to open with ark.

What do I do? Plus, I will have two versions of the same software installed. Problem?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need a refresher

Hi
    Zypper will work (as in zypper in some.rpm). Un-install the new version first...
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 11-Sep-2016 at 14:46.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Hi Prexy

Use zypper as Malcolm expained (ie zypper in /path/to/downloaded/package.rpm). What's missing of late (last couple of releases) is the ability to right-click on a RPM file and have YaST install the single RPM (along with any dependencies). This useful feature can be configured though as described here

https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...g-RPM-packages

Quote Originally Posted by Prexy View Post
    I need to install an old version of gramps to export my genealogy file so that I can use it in the latest version of gramps. I downloaded an old version of the rpm. Problem is, I can't remember how to install a downloaded rpm. It wants to open with ark.

What do I do? Plus, I will have two versions of the same software installed. Problem?
    Hm. Can you explain to me which version you now have and which version you had (and need now).

I am running openSUSE 131. and it has gramps 4.0.1. I would like to be prepared for a version witch in the future.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Hm. Can you explain to me which version you now have and which version you had (and need now).

I am running openSUSE 131. and it has gramps 4.0.1. I would like to be prepared for a version witch in the future.
    I just downloaded what I believe is 4.2 and tried to open an older gramps file I have as a backup. It would not open and gave me dialogue box that said I had to use a 3.3 version or older to open the file and export it. Then the new version of gramps would load it. Instead, I opened an even older version of the file saved as a .ged

I will remove the new gramps and install the old to get the latest file to work with newer versions of gramps after I export it.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Prexy View Post
    I just downloaded what I believe is 4.2 and tried to open an older gramps file I have as a backup. It would not open and gave me dialogue box that said I had to use a 3.3 version or older to open the file and export it. Then the new version of gramps would load it. Instead, I opened an even older version of the file saved as a .ged
    Thanks for the info.

It seems then that you have a far greater jump (from 3.3 or earlier to 4.2) then I will likely have to make (from 4.0.1 to whatever is in openSUSE 42.1/2). We will see. In any case, I always keep a my openSUSE version available for some time after I move to a newer version, just in case. And this could be such a case.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Hi Prexy

Use zypper as Malcolm expained (ie zypper in /path/to/downloaded/package.rpm). What's missing of late (last couple of releases) is the ability to right-click on a RPM file and have YaST install the single RPM (along with any dependencies). This useful feature can be configured though as described here

https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...g-RPM-packages
    Thanks everyone for the input. I tried this method and code was already listed as an option when I right-clicked. So, I can do my work!