Thread: Package documentation--backuppc

Default Package documentation--backuppc

I'm using Leap 42-1 as a server to back up the various computers here using backuppc. I "prototyped" the system on a Raspberry Pi to be sure that the software works, and it does. Now I've built a PC to be the backup server, and successfully downloaded and installed the backuppc package.

In setting up the software on the Pi, I used documentation from "HowToForge" and that went well. But, as I'm starting to configure the setup on LEAP, I've run into the problem that configuration files are not where they are expected to be, and it looks like the "HowToForge" documentation uses "apache 1" and LEAP uses "apache 2".

Now, I really don't want to become an Apache 2 expert, I just want to configure the software and get things to the point where I can do backups.

So, is there OpenSuse Leap documentation for the backuppc package that will walk me through doing the configuration? If so, where is it located?

Many thanks,

Mark

Blog Entries

Default Re: Package documentation--backuppc

You can inspect the contents of the backuppc package with the following command
    Code:
    rpm -ql backuppc
    And within it you will find the backuppc documentation in 2 formats, HTML and pod (Plain Old Documentation),
    Code:
    /usr/share/backuppc/doc/BackupPC.html
    /usr/share/backuppc/doc/BackupPC.pod
    You can point a web browser to the html file...

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Package documentation--backuppc

Also,

Since backuppc now runs as a systemd service, because systemd Unit files are configuration files you can inspect the commands and other configuration files referenced in the Unit file

The following command displays the current state of the service, and if it's running (or failed to run) a log snippet.
    Code:
    systemctl status backuppc
    You can also start the service and then re-inspect the status to display additional information about its runtime
    Code:
    systemctl start backuppc
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!