Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Why does "sudo zypper up" result in The following package is going to be REMOVED: ffmpeg"?

  1. #1

    Default Why does "sudo zypper up" result in The following package is going to be REMOVED: ffmpeg"?

    All I did was type "sudo zypper up" and LEAP says it's going to remove ffmpeg. Why would it do this?

    Using:
    KDE 5.5.5
    openSUSE LEAP 64bit
    Kernel: 4.6.2-6 default

    16 GB RAM
    Intel i-7-6600U (4-core)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Why does "sudo zypper up" result in The following package is going to be REMOVED: ffmpeg"?

    Did you install your Multimedia according to caf's guide? Did you remember to do your repo switch to Packman?
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Why does "sudo zypper up" result in The following package is going to be REMOVED: ffmpeg"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Did you install your Multimedia according to caf's guide? Did you remember to do your repo switch to Packman?
    yes to both questions

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,497
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Why does "sudo zypper up" result in The following package is going to be REMOVED: ffmpeg"?

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    All I did was type "sudo zypper up" and LEAP says it's going to remove ffmpeg. Why would it do this?
    Checking here, I see that I do not have "ffmpeg" installed. But I do have "ffmpeg-3.1" installed. That is to say, the "-3.1" seems to be part of the package name, rather than part of the version number.

    So maybe look carefully. Perhaps it wants to uninstall "ffmpeg" but to also install "ffmpeg-3.1". That probably happened here recently.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,284
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Why does "sudo zypper up" result in The following package is going to be REMOVED: ffmpeg"?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Checking here, I see that I do not have "ffmpeg" installed. But I do have "ffmpeg-3.1" installed. That is to say, the "-3.1" seems to be part of the package name, rather than part of the version number.

    So maybe look carefully. Perhaps it wants to uninstall "ffmpeg" but to also install "ffmpeg-3.1". That probably happened here recently.
    I can verify that this was the case.

    @6tr6tr: Let it proceed and you'll end up with the "ffmpeg-3.1-...." package as nrickert has described.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •