Thread: Why does "sudo zypper up" result in The following package is going to be REMOVED: ffmpeg"?

Default Why does "sudo zypper up" result in The following package is going to be REMOVED: ffmpeg"?

All I did was type "sudo zypper up" and LEAP says it's going to remove ffmpeg. Why would it do this?

Using:
    KDE 5.5.5
    openSUSE LEAP 64bit
    Kernel: 4.6.2-6 default

16 GB RAM
    Intel i-7-6600U (4-core)

Default Re: Why does "sudo zypper up" result in The following package is going to be REMOVED: ffmpeg"?

Did you install your Multimedia according to caf's guide? Did you remember to do your repo switch to Packman?
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Default Re: Why does "sudo zypper up" result in The following package is going to be REMOVED: ffmpeg"?

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Did you install your Multimedia according to caf's guide? Did you remember to do your repo switch to Packman?
    yes to both questions

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    All I did was type "sudo zypper up" and LEAP says it's going to remove ffmpeg. Why would it do this?
    Checking here, I see that I do not have "ffmpeg" installed. But I do have "ffmpeg-3.1" installed. That is to say, the "-3.1" seems to be part of the package name, rather than part of the version number.

So maybe look carefully. Perhaps it wants to uninstall "ffmpeg" but to also install "ffmpeg-3.1". That probably happened here recently.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Checking here, I see that I do not have "ffmpeg" installed. But I do have "ffmpeg-3.1" installed. That is to say, the "-3.1" seems to be part of the package name, rather than part of the version number.

So maybe look carefully. Perhaps it wants to uninstall "ffmpeg" but to also install "ffmpeg-3.1". That probably happened here recently.
    I can verify that this was the case.

@6tr6tr: Let it proceed and you'll end up with the "ffmpeg-3.1-...." package as nrickert has described.