Thread: need to print to pdf from application

Question need to print to pdf from application

Wow whod a thunk I would ever need such but then came my schematic drafting program! Seems my epson printer has two main problems. One is lack of ink and then the cruncher. I need to export to pdf file to take file to large format printer at printing shop. Where i can print @ 8.5 x 11 it is too small to read and recommended size is 36" x 48".

Cups is supposed to have ability to print to pdf. One site I visited said it is built into cups by default just choose print to pdf instead of the default printer. In most of my apps I can switch between the 3 different printers I have defined in cups but from the schematic drafter it only will print to the default printer.
    Another site says Cups has a specific ability to select print to pdf as an option under add printer/class but I can't find this in cups.
    Searching opensuse I found instructions for adding cups-pdf from printing repo for my 13.2 version but attempting to install it ends in an error "cups-pdf-3.obeta_x_64 has encountered an error" and under details says "aborted by user".

So what do I need to do to get print to pdf working?
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Blog Entries

Default Re: need to print to pdf from application

In my experience, I just select "print to file" on the printer menu. And then there's a choice between "pdf" and "ps" file. I think "pdf" is the default. I never had a problem with this.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    In my experience, I just select "print to file" on the printer menu. And then there's a choice between "pdf" and "ps" file. I think "pdf" is the default. I never had a problem with this.
    Just tried what you asked, Print to file is grayed out options are (default) Epson Photo Stylus and grayed out are Canon 2000 and Lexmark Lazer plus series. LibreOffice and openOffice and kwrite show Print to file (.ps), Printers : Epson / Canon / Lexmark.

my system seams to have ps2pdf converter so if all else fails I can see if there is a way to ungrey out the print to file.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    Just tried what you asked, Print to file is grayed out options are (default) Epson Photo Stylus and grayed out are Canon 2000 and Lexmark Lazer plus series. LibreOffice and openOffice and kwrite show Print to file (.ps), Printers : Epson / Canon / Lexmark.

my system seams to have ps2pdf converter so if all else fails I can see if there is a way to ungrey out the print to file.
    Is the printer selection greyed out just in that application or others as well?

Blog Entries

LibreOffice and openOffice and kwrite show Print to file (.ps), Printers : Epson / Canon / Lexmark.
    Sorry, missed this.

Did you register your new schematic drafting program. It's a common practice to prevent exporting/printing for unregistered/trial versions of software like this.