Thread: Thunderbird and Junk Mail Help Please

Default Thunderbird and Junk Mail Help Please

Try as I might I with different settings I cannot get T'bird to put mail marked as junk into the junk folder. Even if I confirm a message as junk it remains in my inbox with a junk flag. What I seek is for messages with this flag to be put into the junk box. Where am I going wrong please?
    Budgie2

Default Re: Thunderbird and Junk Mail Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Try as I might I with different settings I cannot get T'bird to put mail marked as junk into the junk folder. Even if I confirm a message as junk it remains in my inbox with a junk flag. What I seek is for messages with this flag to be put into the junk box. Where am I going wrong please?
    Budgie2
    Did it occur to you to look under preferences?

... specifically, Security, Junk?
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Did it occur to you to look under preferences?

... specifically, Security, Junk?
    Hi and thanks for the heads up. Yes, actually I do have this set but it does not work with messages which Thunderbird marks as junk. These come into my inbox and sit there. If I open them I have the option to change the junk setting to "not junk" but no button to send to the junk folder, only to delete.

What I seek is for the message marked junk by T'bird to be put in the junk mailbox directly or have a single button to send it there once checked. I am sure I am not the only one seeking this facility and wondered what else I should do to have it work as I wish. Any ideas?
    Budge.

Select the Account, open View settings for this account, select Junk Settings and configure them the way you want. Then click the Global Junk Preferences button and configure the Junk tab to your preference.

May be more to help you here. Thunderbird and Junk / Spam Messages | Thunderbird Help

Quote Originally Posted by WaltS48 View Post
    Select the Account, open View settings for this account, select Junk Settings and configure them the way you want. Then click the Global Junk Preferences button and configure the Junk tab to your preference.

May be more to help you here. Thunderbird and Junk / Spam Messages | Thunderbird Help
    Hi and many thanks. I also had this set but still had a couple of offending messages stubbornly remaining in my inbox. May need to log out and back in following updates.
    Thanks again,
    Budge

Hi and thanks for the heads up. Yes, actually I do have this set but it does not work with messages which Thunderbird marks as junk. These come into my inbox and sit there. If I open them I have the option to change the junk setting to "not junk" but no button to send to the junk folder, only to delete.

What I seek is for the message marked junk by T'bird to be put in the junk mailbox directly or have a single button to send it there once checked. I am sure I am not the only one seeking this facility and wondered what else I should do to have it work as I wish. Any ideas?
    Budge.
    ... at the top right of the message window, do you have the choices of:
    Code:
    Reply  Reply All  Forward  Archive  Junk  Delete  More
    With the settings as I pointed out to you, if you click on that Junk, it does not then kick the message to your choice in the preferences (Junk folder if you chose that under preferences)?

It is working with mine (although I am currently looking at Thunderbird 45.2.0 running on Evergreen (13.1).

That is the expected behaviour, and there is something wrong -- perhaps a bug -- in your setup, if it does not work as described.

In fact, I tested it on one message in my inbox, it went to the junk folder, then I went to the junk folder and clicked on "not junk", and the message moved back to the inbox.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    ... at the top right of the message window, do you have the choices of:
    Code:
    Reply  Reply All  Forward  Archive  Junk  Delete  More
    With the settings as I pointed out to you, if you click on that Junk, it does not then kick the message to your choice in the preferences (Junk folder if you chose that under preferences)?

It is working with mine (although I am currently looking at Thunderbird 45.2.0 running on Evergreen (13.1).

That is the expected behaviour, and there is something wrong -- perhaps a bug -- in your setup, if it does not work as described.

In fact, I tested it on one message in my inbox, it went to the junk folder, then I went to the junk folder and clicked on "not junk", and the message moved back to the inbox.
    Hi and thanks again. On my system the "Junk" button is not there when the message has already been marked as junk so all I can do is delete it. Since this thread started I have re set the junk handling logged out and in and this morning the offending junk messages have been moved to where they belong. Thanks for the support.
    Budgie2

Hi and thanks again. On my system the "Junk" button is not there when the message has already been marked as junk so all I can do is delete it. Since this thread started I have re set the junk handling logged out and in and this morning the offending junk messages have been moved to where they belong. Thanks for the support.
    Budgie2
    Well ... glad it is working, now.

... although, it sure leaves us scratching our heads.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~