login with password

Currently when I boot my laptop it auto starts Leap and I go straight in. But as I would now prefer to have a login with a password and for the life of me can’t find how to do this. Surely very simple? Thanks for any help. (I’m using the KDE platform).

Yast: Security: Users: Expert Options: Auto Login

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

not how my Yast looks. I have Security & Users then Security Center and Hardening or User and Group Management (plus Firewall and Sudo and AppArmor) - can’t find how to configure password login - oh why is this so difficult?

Hi
YaST -> System -> /etc/sysconfig Editor and then Desktop -> Display manager -> DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN and remove the username and save.

It is documented AFAIK but here it is

• Yast - System - /etc/sysconfig editor
  • Search for “autologin”
  • Click DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN, Go To
  • Remove the username
  • OK
    Now reboot, and you’ll see the login screen.

well… that does it. Thank you.

But, what, someone is supposed to be able to work that out on their own?

On Thu 25 Aug 2016 12:46:02 PM CDT, enquirer44 wrote:

well… that does it. Thank you.

But, what, someone is supposed to be able to work that out on their own?

Hi
Documentation/Wiki/these forums? https://doc.opensuse.org/

This shows what user ab was referring too…
https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/startup/html/book.opensuse.startup/cha.y2.userman.html#sec.y2.userman.adv

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.27-27-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

What would you expect? The system / installer throwing all there is to know at you?

IMHO the problem mostly isn’t whether it’s documented, but what to look for and where to find it.
The feature is also accessible through KDE/Plasma5’s systemsettings - Accountdetails. When changing the autologin checkbox you will be asked for the root password. I know GNOME has a feature like this as well.

These days Google is your friend, a search for ‘opensuse autologin’ gives multiple hits providing the solution you used. With the current speed of development it’s going to be a tough job to find some kind of manual / tutorial that’s complete and up to date. But that’s not limited to linux / openSUSE.

To begin with, you were offered to have that on or off at installation time. You apperently switched it (or left it, I do not know what the default is) on.

Second, I have no doubt tht there are threads here that handle this and while the sarch function here is not that brilliant, it, or a Google search will probably show something.

Third, there is a friendly openSUSE Forum where you can ask. Maybe the first answer does not realy help because the helper did not assess your level of knowlegde correct (and that is difficult to do indeed), but you can always re-ask for more details. And see, you all got it solved within four ((4) hours. Not bad IMHO.

The current default with Leap 42.2 Alpha 3 is “on” – for the first user . . . If additional users are added, the system asks if the current auto-login settings shall be changed.
[HR][/HR]Leap 42.1: current YaST situation:
Security and Users” –>> “User and Group Management” –>> bottom right (above the “OK” button) “Expert options” –>> “Login Settings” –>> “Auto Login” and “User to Log In”.

When done, check (but, only with the “Breeze” theme enabled – with the “Oxygen” theme enabled it’s painfully slow and not reliable . . . ) – in the KDE Desktop “System Settings” –>> “Workspace” –>> “Startup and Shutdown” –>> “Login Screen (SDDM)” –>> “Advanced” tab: check that the “Auto Login” settings have taken effect and if need be also do it here . . .

Default is on, something about the installer I have an issue with.

Also, default is on for User & root password the same.

… both things I emphatically disagree with being the default settings, for Security reasons.

But, I am not in charge of choosing the installer defaults. :\

Of course I could not agree more woth that.
And not only vor the (very important) security reasons, it also blocks the understanding of the concept of a multi-user system to the Unix/Linux beginner.
And is probably aping of MS Windows behaviour. >:)

I also noticed this when installing the Leap 42.2 Alpha 3 – the text of the installation and YaST procedures is something which I find to be not quite the same as what I expected.
I was considering an Alpha 3 Bug Report – maybe this is the additional material I need to describe the issue at hand.

When you mean you want to file a bug report (or a feature change request) to have:
a) not-automatic login the default,
b) not to offer using the same password for root ad the first user,
I support you. But I am afraid that this was protested against already some years ago and neglected.

I’ve noticed “all this that’s being discussed” for a long time but decided to just live with current choices…

But, that’s not to say that as time has passed that almost any security decision should be reviewed again, because the threat environment is always changing…

• I understand the decision to make the root and first User created have the same password. It’s a concession that ordinary Users may not be able to remember more than one password or cause confusion. There is no doubt that it’s a simple and significant decision to make the passwords different but at what cost to low tech newbies? Perhaps a compromise is to leave the current default setting but make the decision more apparent, like popping up a bubble that describes the setting. I’ve noticed that this setting is handled many different ways in different distros from totally ignoring and not providing any User guidance to just not offering any choice (just set up root like any other account).

• I also feel that the checkbox that is checked by default enabling auto-login is labeled with a description that doesn’t use ordinary words, that’s why it’s easily overlooked and isn’t noticed. Yes, I feel the simple act of changing the description to actually use a word like “Auto-login to this account” should be implemented, and maybe additionally making the setting more prominent on the page. The current description (IIRC) “set the password same as the root account” just isn’t sufficient because although functional isn’t the way people ordinarily talk about this setting.

• AFAIK the sysconfig setting to enable/disable autologin is supported in several distros so should not be changed. But, it seems to me that other distros often prefer their own custom methods.

So, I do agree that these kinds of changes can be requested as a “feature request” to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org.

TSU

Almost but, not quite.
What I find confusing with the current (German) text during installation and with YaST User Administration is that, one has the impression everything will behave like MS Windows users with “Administration Rights”. This is not the openSUSE case.
Concurring with the other notes in this thread, all that happens is, the user “root” has the same password as the user created as part of the installation procedure. That, is for me, confusing because I would expect that, the user with “Administration Rights” to be a member of at least one System Group – as is the case with any “Administrative User” in many system administration teams/groups/departments.

Thank you Henk. Let’s see if my persuasive powers are more powerful than protest . . . >:)
[HR][/HR]It’s actually the weekend here – Change Requests are only submitted during normal office hours – so, next week.

Yes, exactly – and, the first Internet worm hit a UNIX® weakness; Apple is currently being attacked; my forecast is, Linux will be targeted soon (possibly with the same algorithms as those used to attack Apple) . . .

Which is exactly the course I intend to take with the proposed Change Request – to the installation text and the YaST User Administration help text.

I also strongly support a “default” installation that makes it easy for folks new to Linux to simply install and begin using the system . . .

Installing a New System
You may be in the awkward situation of having to install a UNIX system without yet knowing how to use UNIX. Most modern UNIX systems include a menu-driven installation program that guides you through the installation process.
“UNIX® for the Impatient”; Second Edition; Abrahams & Larson; Addison-Wesley; 1996; ISBN 0-201-82376-4

I suspect that we’re mostly thinking along the same line . . .

I haven’t yet taken a look into the specifications in the Linux Standard Base but, I suspect that it’ll be well advised to leave anything in sysconfig “as is” – if only for standards conformance – which in this case probably make sense anyway . . .

I actually prefer “Change Request” – although in this case the quip “It’s not a Bug, it’s a Feature!!” could be applicable!!! (IMHO) :wink:
[HR][/HR]Why “Change Request”? Actually, in my case it dates back to a system named “CR36” which was ported from DEC System 10 (36 bit) to VAX/VMS (32 bit) – the system was initially used to produce hard-copy printed Change Requests for the staff of the site’s Laboratory workshop and later software Error/Failure Reports.
Later, after being taken over by a U.S. American legend, the culture of politely avoiding naming the problem as an error and/or failure reasserted itself – possibly due to multi-cultural problems . . . Which is why I tend to point out “issues” rather than the preferred (direct) German way: “Fehlermeldung” – Failure Report.
It’s also the source of my Software Quality quip: “Human Beings produce Errors.” (Only the Robots operate failure-free.)

We may have missed something: <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/startup/html/book.opensuse.startup/images/i_y2_user_osuse.png>

• openSUSE Startup Guide: Installation Quick Start – “Use this password for the system administrator”.

[HR][/HR]I’ll reinstall the Leap 42.2 Alpha 3 to check the current installation text – we may have an “English OK but other translations not OK” issue here . . .

No, we did not.:wink:

You will notice that it is checked by default, with no caveat about the consequences.

… which is what we (the Security-conscious) are unhappy with.

The associated help text is as follows:

Check Use this password for system administrator if the same password as entered for the first user should be used for root.

In the “Quick Start” manual <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/startup/html/book.opensuse.startup/index.html&gt; at “Installation Quick Start” section 1.1.2 <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/startup/html/book.opensuse.startup/art.opensuse.installquick.html#sec.opensuse.installquick.install&gt; instruction #11 there’s the following text:

For security reasons it is also strongly recommended not to enable the Automatic Login. You should also not Use this Password for the System Administrator but rather provide a separate root password in the next installation step. Mails generated by the system are delivered to the user root by default. Check Receive System Mail if you would rather get them as the user that you have created.

So, yes, it’s in the Manual but, yes, possibly the installation help could be expanded with the text currently in the Manual.
[HR][/HR]BTW: I checked the 42.2 Alpha 3 Network installation with English US and UK and, German and, French – all OK – except for a couple of translation issues (Bug 993719).