Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenovo X1 Carbon: Partitioned Not possible to install OpenSuse

Hybrid View

Default Lenovo X1 Carbon: Partitioned Not possible to install OpenSuse

Hello,

I've tried to installed on a Windows 10 based Lenovo X1 Carbon partitioned SSD the OpenSuse Leap 42.2. The Boot UEFI options were changed to Legacy and the installation started normally until I hit the partitioning page on the OpenSuse installation. The option to delete the Windows partition did not satisfy me so I've tried to change the configuration only to have a message that it was not possible to access the /dev/sda disk.

Note that from Windows I have already partitioned the 256SSD to 2 partitions one that holds Windows and one (NTFS) that supposed to be destined for linux. The disk is not encrypted.

Are there any suggestions on what am I doing wrong? I suspect the BIOS options though I cannot figure out what might be the problem.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Lenovo X1 Carbon: Partitioned Not possible to install OpenSuse

Please (re)check if your Win10 is installed in "legacy" mode on a MBR formatted disk (unlikely on such a new ultrabook), or if the disk is GPT partitioned and W10 boots in UEFI mode.
    If the latter is true, you must start the installer in UEFI mode, maybe with SecureBoot disabled (you may re-enable it after install): you must never mix UEFI and "legacy" if you want to be able to dual-boot.

Then be aware that OpenSUSE doesn't install on a NTFS partition and it is better to leave free (unallocated) space on the disk and let the installer use it at best.

Please also check if you really intend to install Leap 42.TWO which is currently in Alpha 3 test phase, or if you are referring to the current Leap 42.1.
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2

@OrsoBruno I'll start with the last proposal of yours. I've noticed that the 42.2 is in alpha3 state when I have almost downloaded the DVD iso image. I will try today to download and install the 42.1 stable version instead and let you know. I have already deleted the D: volume and let it be as unallocated for future use. As for the UEFI boot options I suppose that this is not the problem as it does let me start the installation for the OpenSuse linux distribution. If I have the same luck with the above changes I will try to mess around with the BIOS settings once more. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by markman8 View Post
    As for the UEFI boot options I suppose that this is not the problem as it does let me start the installation for the OpenSuse linux distribution. If I have the same luck with the above changes I will try to mess around with the BIOS settings once more. Thank you
    OK, a few additional notes might be helpful.

The installer starts even in legacy mode, but then expects an MBR formatted disk and if it finds a GPT disk it tries to wipe everything (Windows or not) and reformat the disk as legacy MBR. So, if you want to keep a GPT/UEFI Win10, you MUST start the installer in UEFI mode.

If you have an X1 Carbon with an i# 6xxx (Skylake) processor, you are better off with a kernel version 4.4.x and above, as in Leap 42.2; that's why I asked to check.
    With the 4.1.x kernel currently on Leap 42.1 you are likely to see graphics glitches with integrated graphics.
    Should this be the case, you may install 42.1 and then upgrade the kernel one way or the other; feel free to ask if you need help.
    Should you dare to install 42.2, please be aware that the next Beta1 should be released in a week or so. It is already useable, but not ready for production work yet.
    testing Leap 15.2

No luck The machine I am running is an i7 4600. The message that parted o/ps is: "Error Operation not permitted on disk /dev/sda. The partitioning on your disk /dev/sda is either not readable or not supported by the partitioning tool parted used to change the partition table ..." I've downloaded and made bootable a usb-flash with 42.1 opensuse version. Half of the SSD disk was unallocated. Yet I get the same error message as before. Now as far as the UEFI settings from BIOS I have tried to change it to reboot to windows only using the UEFI mode (so I imagine it looked for GPT partitioned disk) and the pc did not manage to boot. I suppose that means that Windows installation took part on an MBR formated SSD. Changing back the BIOS to Legacy it managed to boot normally. The installation of OpenSuse 42.1 took part while the BIOS was set to legacy. I have tried earlier with 42.2 to install them in UEFI mode but installation stuck at the same partitioning section. Better this way as I would not be able to dual boot any more. Finally I used Diskpart from Windows just to try to verify if the current partitioning is MBR or GPT based but I came out with no results. I did not feel comfortable playing with it to be honest.

I cannot check right now, but it is possible that the OpenSUSE installer when booted in "legacy" mode only sees the "protective MBR" on the GPT disk and so refuses to do anything on it.
    If that is the case, the installer booted in UEFI mode should see the GPT partition table and should be able to add and format partitions, even install OpenSUSE unless something unusual is on your disk; but such an install normally can't dual boot a Win system installed in "legacy" mode and you need a workaround I'm not currently aware of.
    And from post #5 apparently you can't install even in UEFI mode if I understand correctly?
    testing Leap 15.2

Default AW: Lenovo X1 Carbon: Partitioned Not possible to install OpenSuse

I have not read the whole, but is Windows shutdown or suspended properly?

If this was asked, please ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    And from post #5 apparently you can't install even in UEFI mode if I understand correctly?
    Correct. I have tried that once before

Chances are that this is indeed an MBR formatted disk. Please be careful with Win Diskpart, you might loose everything on the disk if you don't know what you are doing. But you can safely issue the following commands and post results:
    Code:
    LIST DISK

SELECT DISK 0 (assuming you have only one disk installed)

LIST PARTITION
    If you have an OpenSUSE (or other GNU Linux) live or rescue CD, you might use parted or gparted to get more information on your disk.
    I think that booting the installer, at the partitioning stage, if you choose the "Expert Partitioner" and double click on "Hard Disks", then "sda" and look in the "Overview" tab for "Disk Label" you can see if it is a GPT disk or not.
    The "Partitions" tab should also reveal info equivalent to the Diskpart commands above.

With the above info maybe we are able to understand why you see "Error Operation not permitted on disk /dev/sda."
    testing Leap 15.2

Ok, I did what you suggested and I came back with some results:

Code:
    DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
      -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
      Partition 1    Primary            500 MB  1024 KB
      Partition 2    Primary            113 GB   501 MB
      Partition 3    Primary            109 GB   114 GB
    And the results from OpenSuse installation are:
    Code:
    Hard Disk: /dev/sda
    Hard Disk

• Vendor: INTEL
    • Disk Label: GPT
    So I suppose I do have the format in GPT mode.

Any suggestions from now on? Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast