Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lenovo X1 Carbon: Partitioned Not possible to install OpenSuse

Default Re: Lenovo X1 Carbon: Partitioned Not possible to install OpenSuse

Quote Originally Posted by markman8 View Post
    Nope!
    I suppose the only option I have left is to format the whole disk and start over. Or is there another?
    That's weird, never seen something like that: maybe your HW has unusual features or your Win10 protects the partition table somehow?
    But since the error says that "You can use the partitions on disk /dev/sda as thy are or format them and assign mount points", maybe you can create 3 partitions in Windows (20-40GB, 4-8GB, 60+ GB), leave them unformatted (or format to FAT or NTFS if forced) and then reformat as needed in the installer "Expert Partitioner" and assign mount points as needed?
    Or you can try live rescue tools like PartedMagic or similar to change your disk as needed?
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2

I cannot check right now, but it is possible that the OpenSUSE installer when booted in "legacy" mode only sees the "protective MBR" on the GPT disk and so refuses to do anything on it.
    If that is the case, the installer booted in UEFI mode should see the GPT partition table and should be able to add and format partitions, even install OpenSUSE unless something unusual is on your disk; but such an install normally can't dual boot a Win system installed in "legacy" mode and you need a workaround I'm not currently aware of.
    And from post #5 apparently you can't install even in UEFI mode if I understand correctly?
    testing Leap 15.2

Default AW: Lenovo X1 Carbon: Partitioned Not possible to install OpenSuse

I have not read the whole, but is Windows shutdown or suspended properly?

If this was asked, please ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    And from post #5 apparently you can't install even in UEFI mode if I understand correctly?
    Correct. I have tried that once before

That's weird, never seen something like that: maybe your HW has unusual features or your Win10 protects the partition table somehow?
    But since the error says that "You can use the partitions on disk /dev/sda as thy are or format them and assign mount points", maybe you can create 3 partitions in Windows (20-40GB, 4-8GB, 60+ GB), leave them unformatted (or format to FAT or NTFS if forced) and then reformat as needed in the installer "Expert Partitioner" and assign mount points as needed?
    Or you can try live rescue tools like PartedMagic or similar to change your disk as needed?
    Ok I have managed to install OpenSuse 42.1 using your suggestions!

Yet I have only one operating system right now

What I did additionally to what you have suggested is that I have added a /boot partition to the 3 partitions.
    So to summarize before to seek any advice for the grub2:
    1. I have Logged to Windows and made 4 partitions using the graphical interface from Manage PC

• /root 20GB /dev/sda3
    • /swap 8GB /dev/sda5
    • /boot 100MB /dev/sda6
    • /home the rest ~83GB /dev/sda7

2. I've booted using the bootable usb with opensuse 42.1 installing with manual partitioning
    3. After 3-4 tries playing with boot loader and after changing the settings as below I managed to have grub2 loading the boot screen without though the option to boot in Windows.

Settings of my boot loader are:
    Code:
    Boot Code Options:
    Boot Loader = GRUB2 Boot Loader Location=Boot from Master Boot Record (only this is checked) /dev/sda4 Boot Loader Installation Details
    Disk Order Settings
    Disks /dev/sda
    Kernel Parameters: Vga Mode=Unspecified Optional Kernel Command Line Parameter=resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent quiet showopts Bootloader Options: Probe Foreign OS=checked Timeout in seconds=8 Hide menu on boot=unchecked Default Boot section=openSUSE Leap 42.1 Protect Boot Loader with Password=unchecked
    Note that the partition /dev/sda4 was a small partition already existed while installing linux and I did not choose it during the installation. I do not know how it ended up in Boot Code Options section.

The df command o/ps:
    Code:
    > df
    Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
    devtmpfs         3923752       4   3923748   1% /dev
    tmpfs            3929860     212   3929648   1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs            3929860    2180   3927680   1% /run
    tmpfs            3929860       0   3929860   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/sda3       20027260 5110772  13876104  27% /
    /dev/sda6         102182    4490     97692   5% /boot/efi
    /dev/sda7       84194824  131012  83019380   1% /home
    Is there a possibility by changing the boot loader options to manage to dual boot?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by markman8 View Post
    Ok I have managed to install OpenSuse 42.1 using your suggestions!

Yet I have only one operating system right now
    Welcome to OpenSUSE! Now at least we can speak the same (system) language.
    If you can open a terminal, issue "su -" and the root password to login as superuser, issue "gdisk /dev/sda", then "p" at the "Command :" prompt and post the result, you can share with us the current layout of your disk.

Apparently you successfully installed Leap in "legacy" mode.
    Don't mind /dev/sda4 as long as the "Custom boot partition" checkbox in the bootloader settings was not checked. Apparently you also did an attempt to install Grub2-EFI and sda4 might be a byproduct of that attempt.
    Or it might be a reserved, hidden or whatever MSoft partition; but as long as it is not mounted it should do no harm.

Now, in theory, you should open a new thread titled "How can I dual boot my Win10?"

Sauerland in post #13 suggests that maybe you did not disable "Fast Boot" in Windows before shutting down, leaving the system in an undefined state that Grub2 is unable to read despite the "Probe Foreign OS" flag in the installer.
    If that is the case, I see no alternative to booting into Win10 one way or the other (by a Win repair or recovery disk? By a Win install disk if you have one?), disable "Fast Boot", really shutdown (NOT "hibernate" or "suspend"), then boot to OpenSUSE (maybe via a rescue disk or the installer rescue system if you destroyed Grub2 during the Win repair) and rebuild the bootloader. Or, in an extreme case, reinstall OpenSUSE: your disk should be already prepared for that.

Or you might scan the forums for many similar threads (dual-booting problems seem fairly common).
    Or wait for somebody with a knowledge of Win internals better than mine to join this thread and write a better answer
    testing Leap 15.2

Sauerland in post #13 suggests that maybe you did not disable "Fast Boot" in Windows before shutting down, leaving the system in an undefined state that Grub2 is unable to read despite the "Probe Foreign OS" flag in the installer.
    To be honest I do not remember my settings in Windows about Fast Boot. I guess due to the small time of loading them it should have been on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12