Thread: desktop icons move on startup - how can I fix?

Default desktop icons move on startup - how can I fix?

Leap 42.1, KDE 5.5.5, QT 5.5.1

For the last several months my I find my desktop icon moving on startup. I drag them back into their preferred location and they will 'stick' there for several cycles of startups. After several days, sometimes up to 2 weeks, two of the icons will move.

Normal, preferred condition:
    http://susepaste.org/56445110

Condition after moved:
    http://susepaste.org/67594162

How can I fix this?

I have looked for a "lock icon in place" but don't find this. I normally have 'widgets locked' and have tried moving them with widgets unlocked and then locking again afterwards. That had no effect.

jon

Default Re: desktop icons move on startup - how can I fix?

Quote Originally Posted by 6520302 View Post
    Leap 42.1, KDE 5.5.5, QT 5.5.1

For the last several months my I find my desktop icon moving on startup. I drag them back into their preferred location and they will 'stick' there for several cycles of startups. After several days, sometimes up to 2 weeks, two of the icons will move.

Normal, preferred condition:
    http://susepaste.org/56445110

Condition after moved:
    http://susepaste.org/67594162

How can I fix this?

I have looked for a "lock icon in place" but don't find this. I normally have 'widgets locked' and have tried moving them with widgets unlocked and then locking again afterwards. That had no effect.

jon
    That looks like a problem with changing screen resolutions, or changing between monitors with different resolutions, such as when plugging a monitor in on a laptop to use in place of the laptop screen (not the same as dual monitors, in that case, but a switch from one monitor to the other).

I most often ran into that on Windows machines, but I suppose it could be happening in your case. When the screen size changes, especially aspect ratio, the icons get rearranged.

Could that be what is happening to you?
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Hello,

I have had that. However not only at start-up but also while the system is running and I had that on both, openSUSE and Kubuntu.

After doing some investigation and monitoring the problem and when it occurs, I came to the conclusion, that this is a result of changing screen resolutions. In my case, I had placed a calculator icon on the right edge of the screen. However, when I ran wine or another application, that changes the screen resolution the icon got moved to the left edge of the screen. If I left it there, it would remain there and stop moving. I also noticed, that when I was not running such applications, i.e. just using the computer for browsing, writing up texts and use email stuff, the icons did not change.

I finally solved this, by creating a toolbar on the left edge of the screen, which "flips" out when I point over it. In there I placed my stuff, I wish to access quickly. This toolbar keeps in place, no matter of the screen resolution, no matter if it is on the left or on the right side and works fine so far.

Thinking about this however, I would consider it a possible bug, as the icons even remain moved, after the program has been ended and the screen resolution is restored to the original value. For example: I run a program and resolution changes to 1024 * 768. Now the icons move, which is fine, since there is less space available on the desktop. However, once I end the program and return to the original resolution, the icons remain messed up. On the other hand, I have seen a similar behavior on many different systems. The issue is most likely, that the items must be moved, in order to remain visible but then are not being moved back to their original position, when the resolution is changed back.

Cheers,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    That looks like a problem with changing screen resolutions, or changing between monitors with different resolutions, such as when plugging a monitor in on a laptop to use in place of the laptop screen (not the same as dual monitors, in that case, but a switch from one monitor to the other).
    That's interesting. I don't change my resolution, however I do have a problem with the resolution that I 'fixed' some time back.

My monitor is native 1920x1080. My preference (and setting) is 1680x1050. I am using fglrx on Radeon display adapter.
    When I start, before KDE loads, my monitor starts at 1920x1080. I force it to 1680x1050 with a modification of xorg.conf by specifying the mode in the display subsection. There were some other suggestions by Wolfie that I also made.

But....the icon moving condition started at a later time so I don't think the above is related.

Thanks for the idea.
    jon