Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TTY and Power Saving Issue

Default Re: TTY and Power Saving Issue

Hello,

thanks for all the help. With your last instructions, I was able to solve this.

I did first check for the proprietary drivers, as you have mentioned. However, these have been already installed on my system. Hence I did try to uninstall and boot up with the Linux drivers. While the system booted up just fine, the issue remained the same.

In a next step, I booted up with "nomodeset", as you have recommended. I have thought in trying that as well, but I wanted to check on other options first. This made the system booting up with an AMD UMS Support not found error, but the system worked fine and even the TTY as well as the Sleep Mode. However I was not able to change display resolution or brightness and some programs ran very slow due to missing driver support.

Since I could not leave the system like that, I decided to reinstall the fglrx drivers again. After all, not being able to use the terminals is somewhat an issue, but having my programs work properly is more important obviously. However, reinstalling fglx, I rebooted my system and the terminals work fine so far. I have not yet tested if putting the computer asleep works, as I am currently downloading a bigger file. Once the download is complete, I will check on that, but I am sure that sleep works as well.

This said, I suppose this is an issue with the openSUSE AMD driver, since with that it does not work. I am not sure if the issue was in fact with the installation of the proprietary drivers being erroneous or - which I tend to believe - the system for some reason kept using the open-source ones and hence no change occurred, when I uninstalled the flgrx drivers.

So, would I send a bug report for this then?

Add-on:

As suspected, putting the laptop to sleep does work as well. The wake-up is fast and without any issues, as it used to be.
    So this seems to confirm the issue with the default drivers.

Thanks again for your help.

Blog Entries

Glad to have been of help. It's good to know that the proprietary drivers are working for you. Ideally, a bug report is needed concerning the open source radeon driver behaviour though.

A bug report has been filed.

In case someone else stumbles upon this, here is the link to the respective bug:

https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=994206

Cheers and thanks again,

Ben

Blog Entries

Thanks for the update. Just a couple of points though..

1) The suggestion to use 'nomodeset' was only for diagnostic purposes, and the finding essentially proved it was related to the open source driver. It wasn't intended as a workaround as it caused the X-server to load a basic frame-buffer driver. That is why resolution and display brightness couldn't be adjusted.

2) You've selected 'X11 3rd party driver' as a component in the bug report. That's not correct. The open source radeon driver (which was giving you problems) is part of 'X.Org'.

Thanks for the notes.
    I was aware of the fact, that nomodeset is merely a test and not really useful as a workaround. Still it worked and did as intended, proving the issue was somewhat driver related.
    In regards of the wrong category, I have changed that. Thanks for the note.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12