Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cannot Change Trust Level On Keys In KGPG

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Miami, OK
    Posts
    64

    Default Cannot Change Trust Level On Keys In KGPG

    I've used KGPG for years and not encountered this problem before. I've used the same method as always, setting up KGPG using the auto configuration, then importing my PGP keys, as I have always done before. From the KGPG GUI, I attempt to set the Trust Level on each key, but cannot do so. I set the Trust Level (same with any Trust Level tried), click "Apply" and the cursor goes into the spinning wait mode. Nothing further happens. Eventually, the computer freezes up or slows down to the point where I have to reboot the system. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks! Oh yes, I have also uninstalled and reinstalled KGPG with the same result.
    MSI K9NGM4-V V2
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(4GB RAM)
    NVIDIA GT218
    Acer P215H
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (64 Bit)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,880
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Cannot Change Trust Level On Keys In KGPG

    Personally, I have always set trust at the command line (using "gpg" directly). So I don't have experience doing it with "kgpg".

    I would not expect reinstalling "kgpg" to help. But maybe:

    Stop "kgpg"
    Remove the file ".kde4/share/config/kgpgrc"
    Restart "kgpg".

    That should cause "kgpg" to re-initialize. I don't know if it will help, but it's worth trying.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Miami, OK
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Cannot Change Trust Level On Keys In KGPG

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Personally, I have always set trust at the command line (using "gpg" directly). So I don't have experience doing it with "kgpg".

    I would not expect reinstalling "kgpg" to help. But maybe:

    Stop "kgpg"
    Remove the file ".kde4/share/config/kgpgrc"
    Restart "kgpg".

    That should cause "kgpg" to re-initialize. I don't know if it will help, but it's worth trying.
    Thanks. I'll give that a try. Also, if you could explain to me how to do that from the command line, I'd give that a try, as well.
    MSI K9NGM4-V V2
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(4GB RAM)
    NVIDIA GT218
    Acer P215H
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (64 Bit)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Miami, OK
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Cannot Change Trust Level On Keys In KGPG

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Personally, I have always set trust at the command line (using "gpg" directly). So I don't have experience doing it with "kgpg".

    I would not expect reinstalling "kgpg" to help. But maybe:

    Stop "kgpg"
    Remove the file ".kde4/share/config/kgpgrc"
    Restart "kgpg".

    That should cause "kgpg" to re-initialize. I don't know if it will help, but it's worth trying.
    Tried that...stopped kgpg and removed kepgrc file...restarted kgpg. Went through the set up again...but have the same result. Maybe command line would help. Thanks.
    MSI K9NGM4-V V2
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(4GB RAM)
    NVIDIA GT218
    Acer P215H
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (64 Bit)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,880
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Cannot Change Trust Level On Keys In KGPG

    I think "kgpg" is an old command that hasn't yet been updated for Plasma 5. So maybe it hasn't adapted to the newest "gpg2" release.

    Quote Originally Posted by zenarcher View Post
    Also, if you could explain to me how to do that from the command line, I'd give that a try, as well.
    For an individual key:
    Code:
    gpg --edit-key key-id
    where "key-id" is replaced by the id or email address that identifies the key.

    Once in the editing dialog, enter "trust" to set the trust value.

    If you want to do this to a whole lot of keys at one time, you can use
    Code:
    gpg --update-trustdb
    and you are prompted for each key.

    You could also try "kleopatra" as an alternative to "kgpg". Personally, I prefer "kgpg", but "kleopatra" is an available alternative and I think it is automatically installed with opensuse KDE.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Miami, OK
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Cannot Change Trust Level On Keys In KGPG

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I think "kgpg" is an old command that hasn't yet been updated for Plasma 5. So maybe it hasn't adapted to the newest "gpg2" release.



    For an individual key:
    Code:
    gpg --edit-key key-id
    where "key-id" is replaced by the id or email address that identifies the key.

    Once in the editing dialog, enter "trust" to set the trust value.

    If you want to do this to a whole lot of keys at one time, you can use
    Code:
    gpg --update-trustdb
    and you are prompted for each key.

    You could also try "kleopatra" as an alternative to "kgpg". Personally, I prefer "kgpg", but "kleopatra" is an available alternative and I think it is automatically installed with opensuse KDE.
    Thanks much!!! I'll give it a go!!
    MSI K9NGM4-V V2
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(4GB RAM)
    NVIDIA GT218
    Acer P215H
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (64 Bit)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Miami, OK
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Cannot Change Trust Level On Keys In KGPG

    Not sure what's going on with this change of trust levels....

    zenarcher@linux-8mi2:~> gpg --edit-key key-id
    gpg (GnuPG) 2.1.13; Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
    There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.


    gpg: key "key-id" not found: No public key
    zenarcher@linux-8mi2:~>

    zenarcher@linux-8mi2:~> gpg --update-trustdb
    gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
    zenarcher@linux-8mi2:~>

    Yet, I can see the keys in KGPG on my list of keys.

    I tried Kleopatra and could not change the Trust Level there, either. Just gave me saying an error had occurred.
    MSI K9NGM4-V V2
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(4GB RAM)
    NVIDIA GT218
    Acer P215H
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (64 Bit)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,880
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Cannot Change Trust Level On Keys In KGPG

    Quote Originally Posted by zenarcher View Post
    Not sure what's going on with this change of trust levels....

    zenarcher@linux-8mi2:~> gpg --edit-key key-id
    gpg (GnuPG) 2.1.13; Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
    There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.


    gpg: key "key-id" not found: No public key
    zenarcher@linux-8mi2:~>
    Sorry. I guess I was not clear enough. That string "key-id" has to be replaced with the identifier for the key that you want to change.

    Here's an example. I wanted to set trust for key '50A3DD1C' (one of the opensuse package signing keys).

    Currently, it does not show as valid (I have not signed it). So I first took care of that.

    I then did:
    Code:
    % gpg --edit-key 50A3DD1C
    gpg> lsign
    ## I am prompted for my own key passphrase
    gpg> trust
    ### I am given a list of trust levels.  I chose 4 (full trust)
    gpg> save
    I hope that is clearer.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Miami, OK
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Cannot Change Trust Level On Keys In KGPG

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Sorry. I guess I was not clear enough. That string "key-id" has to be replaced with the identifier for the key that you want to change.

    Here's an example. I wanted to set trust for key '50A3DD1C' (one of the opensuse package signing keys).

    Currently, it does not show as valid (I have not signed it). So I first took care of that.

    I then did:
    Code:
    % gpg --edit-key 50A3DD1C
    gpg> lsign
    ## I am prompted for my own key passphrase
    gpg> trust
    ### I am given a list of trust levels.  I chose 4 (full trust)
    gpg> save
    I hope that is clearer.
    Okay...and thanks! Yes, I had missed that part. I'll chalk it off to senility....I'm 71 years old and sometimes the brain does a reset. LOL I'll give that a try!
    MSI K9NGM4-V V2
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(4GB RAM)
    NVIDIA GT218
    Acer P215H
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (64 Bit)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Miami, OK
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Cannot Change Trust Level On Keys In KGPG

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Sorry. I guess I was not clear enough. That string "key-id" has to be replaced with the identifier for the key that you want to change.

    Here's an example. I wanted to set trust for key '50A3DD1C' (one of the opensuse package signing keys).

    Currently, it does not show as valid (I have not signed it). So I first took care of that.

    I then did:
    Code:
    % gpg --edit-key 50A3DD1C
    gpg> lsign
    ## I am prompted for my own key passphrase
    gpg> trust
    ### I am given a list of trust levels.  I chose 4 (full trust)
    gpg> save
    I hope that is clearer.
    Thanks so much!!! That did the trick! I was able to get the Trust Level set on the keys. I've added this tip of yours to my notes, so I will have it for future reference!!!
    MSI K9NGM4-V V2
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(4GB RAM)
    NVIDIA GT218
    Acer P215H
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (64 Bit)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •