Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Restart permissions problem

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    64

    Default Restart permissions problem

    This is getting frustrating. When I restart my computer i no longer have permissions again to scan.... Can someone please help me with the correct commands, preferably from the command line, I am sick to death of YaST!!

    Every other distro the **** thing works out of the box...This is a fresh install I did nothing but configured scanner in YaST and added lp to groups, that worked until restarted my computer. It won't let me make lp as its own group, because YaST says no....I love this distro I really do but I'm up to my ears in config files, I may as well install Arch

    The explanations are convoluted and move from one book to another on how to configure something as easy as a freaking usb scanner, this is far from sane...

    I started a new thread because I wrote in the old thread that the problem was solved, I did not know restarting my computer was going to bork scanner permissions...WTH is it with openSUSE and scanners??
    Motherboard: GA-EP45-UD3P
    CPU: Core2Quad Q8400 2.66GHz.
    Memory: 4 GIB DDR2
    GPU: Geforce GTX 650 1GIB Driver: NVIDIA G03- 340.96
    OS & Desktop: 42.2Leap 64 bit, KDE Plasma 5.8.3,QT 5.6.1 Kernel 4.4.27-2-deafult

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,712
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Restart permissions problem

    Hi frankensuse

    Sorry to read about your continuing problems with getting your scanner working. As with your original thread on this topic, can you prove that the user has membership to the lp group?
    Code:
    groups
    Quote Originally Posted by frankensuse View Post
    This is getting frustrating. When I restart my computer i no longer have permissions again to scan.... Can someone please help me with the correct commands, preferably from the command line, I am sick to death of YaST!!

    I gave you that command already in the other thread


    Every other distro the **** thing works out of the box...This is a fresh install I did nothing but configured scanner in YaST and added lp to groups, that worked until restarted my computer. It won't let me make lp as its own group, because YaST says no....I love this distro I really do but I'm up to my ears in config files, I may as well install Arch
    As I've already explained to you, there is no need to create the 'lp' group - it exists already. You just need to add the relevant user(s) to that group.


    The explanations are convoluted and move from one book to another on how to configure something as easy as a freaking usb scanner, this is far from sane...
    Actually, there is very little needed when using USB-attached scanner hardware supported by open-source SANE drivers. (The MP495 is supported by the sane-pixma backend.) All one needs to do is to make sure the user concerned is a member of the 'lp' group. Udev and the sane backend should take care of the rest. The backend can be explicitly declared by uncommenting it in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf, but this is usually only necessary to do when using proprietary (third-party) drivers.

    I started a new thread because I wrote in the old thread that the problem was solved, I did not know restarting my computer was going to bork scanner permissions...WTH is it with openSUSE and scanners??

    My advice would have been to continue with that thread, even if you thought you had solved it previously. Anyway, please show us the following output when you first connect the scanner (turned on) to the USB port
    Code:
    dmesg|tail
    Code:
    scanimage -T
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 13-Aug-2016 at 14:55.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Restart permissions problem

    deano_ferrari , I'm glad you stayed on this thread because upon a reboot of the system the same thing happens again, xsane won't start up, won't recognise the scanner, won't scan the scanner. Here is the output of the command you requested:

    dmesg|tail

    johnb@linux-seyo:~> dmesg|tail

    [ 487.902003] usb 7-5: Manufacturer: Canon

    [ 487.902005] usb 7-5: SerialNumber: 832BAA

    [ 487.905436] usblp 7-5:1.1: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 4 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid
    0x04A9 pid 0x1747

    [ 512.864272] usb 7-5: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'xsane' sets config #1

    [ 512.865555] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth1 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:0224:1dff:fe8
    0:010b DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001 LEN=64 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=1 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=UD
    P SPT=8612 DPT=8612 LEN=24
    [ 512.875676] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth1 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:0224:1dff:fe8
    0:010b DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001 LEN=64 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=1 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=UD
    P SPT=8612 DPT=8612 LEN=24
    [ 513.390214] usb 7-5: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'xsane' sets config #1

    [ 513.391333] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth1 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:0224:1dff:fe8
    0:010b DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001 LEN=64 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=1 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=UD
    P SPT=8612 DPT=8612 LEN=24
    [ 513.401520] SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth1 OUT= MAC= SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:0224:1dff:fe8
    0:010b DST=ff02:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001 LEN=64 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=1 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=UD
    P SPT=8612 DPT=8612 LEN=24
    [ 513.912242] usb 7-5: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'xsane' sets config #1
    Motherboard: GA-EP45-UD3P
    CPU: Core2Quad Q8400 2.66GHz.
    Memory: 4 GIB DDR2
    GPU: Geforce GTX 650 1GIB Driver: NVIDIA G03- 340.96
    OS & Desktop: 42.2Leap 64 bit, KDE Plasma 5.8.3,QT 5.6.1 Kernel 4.4.27-2-deafult

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Restart permissions problem

    Here is the output of the second command:

    scanimage -T

    johnb@linux-seyo:~> scanimage -T
    scanimage: open of device pixma:04A91747 failed: Device busy
    Motherboard: GA-EP45-UD3P
    CPU: Core2Quad Q8400 2.66GHz.
    Memory: 4 GIB DDR2
    GPU: Geforce GTX 650 1GIB Driver: NVIDIA G03- 340.96
    OS & Desktop: 42.2Leap 64 bit, KDE Plasma 5.8.3,QT 5.6.1 Kernel 4.4.27-2-deafult

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Restart permissions problem

    Here is proof of user being a member of lp:

    johnb@linux-seyo:~> groups
    users lp

    Motherboard: GA-EP45-UD3P
    CPU: Core2Quad Q8400 2.66GHz.
    Memory: 4 GIB DDR2
    GPU: Geforce GTX 650 1GIB Driver: NVIDIA G03- 340.96
    OS & Desktop: 42.2Leap 64 bit, KDE Plasma 5.8.3,QT 5.6.1 Kernel 4.4.27-2-deafult

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,712
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Restart permissions problem

    Okay, so the output you've provided shows that this is not a permissions problem.

    The device is busy
    Code:
    johnb@linux-seyo:~> scanimage -T
    scanimage: open of device pixma:04A91747 failed: Device busy

    and the usblp driver seems to be impacting here
    Code:
    usb 7-5: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'xsane' sets config #1
    I'm not sure if the usblp module is need for your printer (driver), but I suspect not as CUPS generally uses libusb now for USB printer communication, so you could try blacklisting that driver.

    As a temporary measure try unloading it with
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r usblp
    then do the following again
    Code:
    scanimage -T
    It can be blacklisted by creating a custom file eg /etc/modprobe.d/20-usblp.conf with the following entry
    Code:
    blacklist usblp
    Although be aware that other libraries and kernel modules can cause it to be loaded if they need it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Restart permissions problem

    After unloading usblp scanimage -T just hangs.

    johnb@linux-seyo:~> sudo modprobe -r usblp
    johnb@linux-seyo:~> scanimage -T
    scanimage: scanning image of size 638x877 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
    scanimage: acquiring RGB frame, 8 bits/sample
    scanimage: reading one scanline, 1914 bytes...

    How do I get usblp loaded again?

    After your last post I uninstalled xsane, and just tried simple scan and it worked, so the problem lies in xsane. I rather have the use of simple scan than no scan at all...Unless you have other suggestions.
    Motherboard: GA-EP45-UD3P
    CPU: Core2Quad Q8400 2.66GHz.
    Memory: 4 GIB DDR2
    GPU: Geforce GTX 650 1GIB Driver: NVIDIA G03- 340.96
    OS & Desktop: 42.2Leap 64 bit, KDE Plasma 5.8.3,QT 5.6.1 Kernel 4.4.27-2-deafult

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Restart permissions problem

    Corrections.... I reinstalled xsane..."rebooted" which I forgot to do, and now xsane works, printer works, it didn't need usblp after all..This is the first time after a reboot thjat xsane worked for me...I think you got it...

    johnb@linux-seyo:~> scanimage -T

    scanimage: scanning image of size 638x877 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
    scanimage: acquiring RGB frame, 8 bits/sample
    scanimage: reading one scanline, 1914 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: reading one byte... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 2 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 4 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 8 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 16 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 32 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 64 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 128 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 256 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 512 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 1024 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 2048 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 2047 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 1023 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 511 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 255 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 127 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 63 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 31 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 15 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 7 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 3 bytes... PASS
    johnb@linux-seyo:~>

    Motherboard: GA-EP45-UD3P
    CPU: Core2Quad Q8400 2.66GHz.
    Memory: 4 GIB DDR2
    GPU: Geforce GTX 650 1GIB Driver: NVIDIA G03- 340.96
    OS & Desktop: 42.2Leap 64 bit, KDE Plasma 5.8.3,QT 5.6.1 Kernel 4.4.27-2-deafult

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,712
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Restart permissions problem

    Quote Originally Posted by frankensuse View Post
    Corrections.... I reinstalled xsane..."rebooted" which I forgot to do, and now xsane works, printer works, it didn't need usblp after all..This is the first time after a reboot thjat xsane worked for me...I think you got it...

    johnb@linux-seyo:~> scanimage -T

    scanimage: scanning image of size 638x877 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
    scanimage: acquiring RGB frame, 8 bits/sample
    scanimage: reading one scanline, 1914 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: reading one byte... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 2 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 4 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 8 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 16 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 32 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 64 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 128 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 256 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 512 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 1024 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 2048 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 2047 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 1023 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 511 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 255 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 127 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 63 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 31 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 15 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 7 bytes... PASS
    scanimage: stepped read, 3 bytes... PASS
    johnb@linux-seyo:~>

    Yes, you need xsane, other front-ends rely on it. Glad to have been of help.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Restart permissions problem

    Quote Originally Posted by frankensuse View Post
    deano_ferrari , I'm glad you stayed on this thread because upon a reboot of the system the same thing happens again, xsane won't start up, won't recognise the scanner, won't scan the scanner. Here is the output of the command you requested:

    dmesg|tail

    johnb@linux-seyo:~> dmesg|tail

    [ 487.902003] usb 7-5: Manufacturer: Canon

    [ 487.902005] usb 7-5: SerialNumber: 832BAA

    [ 487.905436] usblp 7-5:1.1: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 4 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid
    0x04A9 pid 0x1747

    [ 512.864272] usb 7-5: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'xsane' sets config #1


    [ 513.390214] usb 7-5: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'xsane' sets config #1


    [ 513.912242] usb 7-5: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'xsane' sets config #1
    Edited content
    Motherboard: GA-EP45-UD3P
    CPU: Core2Quad Q8400 2.66GHz.
    Memory: 4 GIB DDR2
    GPU: Geforce GTX 650 1GIB Driver: NVIDIA G03- 340.96
    OS & Desktop: 42.2Leap 64 bit, KDE Plasma 5.8.3,QT 5.6.1 Kernel 4.4.27-2-deafult

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •