Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window Manage

Default Window Manage

Problem today with Plasma crashing. Ran yast from cli and removed auto logon. Now just black screen. Installed xfce and set it to the default window manager. Same result just a black screen.

Where do I look next?

Default Re: Window Manage

Sounds like a graphics driver problem.
    The login manager apparently crashes as well (or has problems at least).

Try setting xdm as DISPLAYMANAGER in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager, that will hopefully still work...

Will try that this evening.

Thanks!

Give us some details!

What graphics chip and drivers (are you using proprietary drivers?)
    Have you run an update recently?
    Do you see the Grub screen?
    Do you see the desktop manager (login) screen?
    What repositories are enabled?
    Installed xfce and set it to the default window manager.
    Do you mean that you selected an Xfce session in the SDDM ?
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Sounds like a graphics driver problem.
    The login manager apparently crashes as well (or has problems at least).

Try setting xdm as DISPLAYMANAGER in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager, that will hopefully still work...
    This worked. xfce came up and was able to login. Did not have time to work on it further this evening. Will reinstall sddm tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks wolfi323!

Thumbs down Still crashes

I installed, a few days ago, Leap on a laptop. The laptop has no Nvidia card and no nouveau driver is used. Plasma5 is used.

Updated. Reduced the Desktop Effects to almost nothing, set to Xrender.

In several hours of work, most of which I spent on configuring the OS, I encountered several crashes of Kwin, Qt, and perhaps something else.

Is this state going to be the future of opensuse? I don't remember Windows 10 crashing on the same laptop.

Default Re: Still crashes

Quote Originally Posted by ZStefan View Post
    I installed, a few days ago, Leap on a laptop. The laptop has no Nvidia card and no nouveau driver is used. Plasma5 is used.
    And what does it have then?

For intel, see here:
    https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=127575

In several hours of work, most of which I spent on configuring the OS, I encountered several crashes of Kwin, Qt, and perhaps something else.

Is this state going to be the future of opensuse? I don't remember Windows 10 crashing on the same laptop.
    And I don't remember Plasma5 or kwin crashing in the last two years here, on my (older) radeon and intel systems.
    I'm on 13.2 though, but with always the latest Plasma5/KF5/Qt5 packages.

But I haven't seen Plasma5 crash in my Leap and Tumbleweed VMs either.

Quote Originally Posted by mmontz View Post
    Problem today with Plasma crashing.
    If you use the DrKonqi to report the crash to the KDE folks (you will need to register with the KDE Bug Reporting system), please be aware that they prefer to have Crash Reports which contain the debug symbols.

In other words, in an ideal world, you need to install the "debuginfo" packages before the crash occurs -- I haven't yet discovered if there's a 'core' file from my last KDE Plasma 5 "plasmashell" crash so's I can resubmit the Crash Report with the debug symbol information the KDE folks would like to see.
    (I finally got around to installing the "debuginfo" packages after the last crash.)

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    If you use the DrKonqi to report the crash to the KDE folks (you will need to register with the KDE Bug Reporting system), please be aware that they prefer to have Crash Reports which contain the debug symbols.

In other words, in an ideal world, you need to install the "debuginfo" packages before the crash occurs
    Actually, drkonqi allows you to install the debuginfo packages even *after* a crash.
    But you need to have the debug repos enabled for that to work.

In the case of the OP, the login screen crashed as well though (or at least only showed a black screen), so it's likely no KDE problem.

I have reinstalled sddm and plasma pattern. Enabled sddm, set sddm as display manager, and set plasma5 as window manger. Same result black screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast