Thread: Install F.LUX

Angry Install F.LUX

Ok So I have tried every avenue to install Redshift and F.LUX. I have hit a wall. Tried running fluxgui and got this message:

Code:
    linux-0k0l:/home/mitrovah # fluxgui
    /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
      warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
    stale pidfile, old pid:  4558
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:212: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
      self.tray = gtk.StatusIcon()
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:212: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYP
    E_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:212: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_root_window: asse
    rtion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:212: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_display: assertio
    n 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:212: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_x11_display_get_xdisplay: as
    sertion 'GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:212: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_number: assertion
     'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed

Last edited by malcolmlewis; 08-Aug-2016 at 20:16. Reason: Add missing code tags.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Install F.LUX

Hi and welcome to the forum
    Unfortunately you have posted in the incorrect area, will temporarily close and move to applications.

Also note, when posting terminal output, please use the code tags (It's the # in the forum editor window).
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mitrovah421 View Post
    Ok So I have tried every avenue to install Redshift and F.LUX. I have hit a wall. Tried running fluxgui and got this message:

Code:
    linux-0k0l:/home/mitrovah # fluxgui
    /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
      warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
    stale pidfile, old pid:  4558
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:212: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:212: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYP
    E_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:212: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_root_window: asse
    rtion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:212: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_display: assertio
    n 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:212: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_x11_display_get_xdisplay: as
    sertion 'GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fluxgui/fluxgui.py:212: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_number: assertion
     'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed

Hi
    Thread moved and re-opened.

You should be running the application as your user, not root? If it needs to be root, then as your user invoke with gnomesu or kdesu.

Also what openSUSE Release are you running so I can append the correct prefix.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I realise you may have your heart set on using f.lux for now, but may I ask what issues you had installing Redshift? Did you use the 1-Click install from here?

Blog Entries

You should first describe how you installed each.

For Flux,
    Although the project only mentions Debian/Ubuntu
    https://github.com/xflux-gui/xflux-gui

It looks a couple of people have built packages which can be tried. Note that these are private repos so may not have been tested as much as larger community projects.
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/fluxgui

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Thread moved and re-opened.

You should be running the application as your user, not root? If it needs to be root, then as your user invoke with gnomesu or kdesu.

Also what openSUSE Release are you running so I can append the correct prefix.
    Yeah I have tried Redshift with the one click install and trying to put in the bin/ and usr/ libraries but never took.

So strange enough I was able to get Flux working for a little bit and the xflux for dual monitor setup. Worked like a charm for one day. After a power off and reboot it completely crashed. Python script was going haywire. I think it is more of an issue with KDE than the program so I will be switching to gnome instead and give redshift or f.lux a 2nd try.