Thread: Unable to start X after power failure during zypper dup : "could not open default font 'fixed"

Default Unable to start X after power failure during zypper dup : "could not open default font 'fixed"

Hi,

Last night I ran a zypper dup ( with kernel locked, using NVidia blob ) which I help back for about 2-3 weeks. As luck would have it, power dropped off during the installation phase. After I restarted I was greeted by a blank screen.

Console was working fine, but X did not start. Having been bit by such problems before, I ran a `rpm -Va` and reinstalled all packages which had non-config files wih size/checksum changes. Still no luck. I reinstalled the nvidia driver, just in case - the same RPM that was working before, and still no luck.

Xorg.0.log contains a reference to "could not open default font 'fixed'", but the solutions that I found out there did not work for me. I reinstalled libXFont1, xorg-x11-fonts and xorg-x11-fonts-core, but that did not change anything.

btfs scrub does not indicate any problems
    Code:
    # btrfs scrub status /dev/sda1
        scrub status for 54dea125-74cd-4bb2-86a2-f7bc645b76cf
        scrub started at Fri Aug  5 10:01:07 2016 and finished after 00:08:24
        total bytes scrubbed: 175.68GiB with 0 errors
    I've pasted /var/log/Xorg.0.log at http://paste.opensuse.org/3527001 .

How do I get back to a running graphical interface?

Thanks,

Robert

Default Re: Unable to start X after power failure during zypper dup : "could not open default font 'fixed"

Try running zypper dup again from the console.
    Pete

Default Re: Unable to start X after power failure during zypper dup : "could not open default font 'fixed"

Another zypper dup does nothing sadly. I'm in the process of rolling back to a good snapshot and retrying the upgrade.

Solved: rollback + zypper dup worked.

I was also able to upgrade to kernel 4.7.0 since the kernel package in X11rivers:Video/nvidia-gfxG04 already has the kernel 4.7 patch.

I won't try to find out how to fix the previous problems, since my problem is already solved.