Steam crashing on Tumbleweed after log in

after instaling steam and running it through konsole I got this:

error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

I did this: cd $HOME/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnumv libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.6.bak
cd $HOME/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
mv libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.6.bak

Which allowed steam to run, after that nothing. The same error over and over again:

.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 713: 22234 Segmentation fault (core dumped) $STEAM_DEBUGGER “$STEAMROOT/$STEAMEXEPATH” “$@”

I get this after the login, steam window and taskbar icon simply disappear. I’m using an AMD R7 240 with radeon open source driver on TW with Plasma 5

For a complete log:

/tmp/dumps/assert_20160802162404_1.dmp
assert_20160802162404_1.dmp[21970]: Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
assert_20160802162404_1.dmp[21970]: response: CrashID=bp-a0bf2b5a-0680-4ad5-ae9a-80ec02160802
assert_20160802162404_1.dmp[21970]: file ‘’/tmp/dumps/assert_20160802162404_1.dmp’’, upload yes: ‘‘CrashID=bp-a0bf2b5a-0680-4ad5-ae9a-80ec02160802’’
/home/pedro/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 713: 21897 Segmentation fault (core dumped) $STEAM_DEBUGGER “$STEAMROOT/$STEAMEXEPATH” “$@”

Hi, I don’t know if you already googled for the solution - there is a problem with radeon open source drivers and steam: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=193802

Guys from Arch forum already found some solutions and workarounds (see post #5 from above link) with deleting some libraries from steam folder. Unfortunately every time when steam runs update the those libraries are back and you have to delete them one more time.

Some further reading (and different workarounds): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Steam_runtime_issues
(just watch for the file paths as they may differ in Tumbleweed)

Anyway for gaming I would recommend you (unfortunately) closed proprietary drivers (this also counts to Nvidia cards) - you will receive much better performance especially in more demanding GPU games. With rolling distro like Tumbleweed using proprietary drivers can be difficult :frowning: (especially when you ‘zypper dup’ every new snapshot)

This worked for me:

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/4506/steam-installed-but-won-t-start/9

I was getting the same @murkdum errors but on a leap42.2 new installation with asus r9290-dc2oc-4gd5 and opensource driver then I tried the solution on the link above and didn’t work.

I reinstaled steam and again nothing, then Itried a new user account and it worked , so I renamed /home/user/.steam to .steam.old (can be deleted as well) on my account and it’s working now:cool:
It worked once in the past as well!
I don’t know if it’s any help to TW users but my problem it’s solved!

andre@torre:~> steam
removing troublesome steam-runtime libs...
bringing in our fixed openssl libraries
Running Steam on opensuse 42.2 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically

Edit: It did work because /.loca/share/steam didn’t exist was on another location! Now I removed /.loca/share/steam to put the system like it was before and its not working again, perhaps it has to do with old configs!