Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does one reinstall grub2 in / ?

Default Re: How does one reinstall grub2 in / ?

But you said in first message:
    Code:
    "grub2-install /dev/sda1" in the booted system gets:Warning: File system 'ext2' doesn't support embedding
    and

Code:
    grub is presently in the sda1/boot, and I want to keep it there.
    I'm getting confused. Surely you need to boot the entire disc (/dev/sda), not just one partition (/dev/sda1)? As I said, it works for me; I have /dev/sda1 as swap and /dev/sda2 as /.

Quote Originally Posted by docduke View Post
    Suggestions?
    As I already said
    make sure /sys, /dev, /proc, /run and (of necessary) /boot are mounted in chroot
    and @bbuolder provided example how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by docduke View Post
    grub is presently in the sda1/boot, and I want to keep it there.
    Then do it. Oh, and if /dev/sda1 is ext* you need to call grub2-install with --force option; update-bootloader does it.

Thank you all very much for your time and effort. To bbuolder:
    I am using Terabyte BIBM as my partition and boot manager. It transfers control to the boot code in the root partition. The SuSE installer provides for this. One can choose installing in "/" on the configuration screen, but must click on the Boot options header to prevent it from also putting "generic" code in the sda boot sector.

To Omniscient Penguin:
    I probably didn't understand what you meant when you said
    make sure /sys, /dev, /proc, /run and (of necessary) /boot are mounted in chroot
    I now infer that you mean the use of "--bind" as bbuolder has indicated. I had assumed that the presence of the directories in the chroot to which I moved was sufficient. I clearly have some reading to do to understand more of this.

Thanks very much for the advice.

Here are two more conceivably useful insights for lurkers:

1. I learned how to kill the KDE update app. Simply answer "no" to the prompt to ask PackageKit to quit, and you learn the PID of the offending task. Then use su to kill it. At that point, the YaST package manager will run, and it gives a complete list of the updates. In the system described above, there is one "grub2" update. I miarked it "Taboo" and took the updates. After the updates, it still won't boot, but the word GRUB appears at the top of the screen and the keyboard is again locked.

2. I went back to the 42.1 distro DVD and did a fresh install, this time specifying "Fstab options" to identify the devices by "Device Name." That tells the installer what I actually intend to do. The install went uneventfully and the system booted properly, but KDE couldn't remember what windows were present at shutdown for the next bootup. I then took the updates. This time, there were four updates to grub2 that I Taboo'ed. After the updates, the system booted, but KDE still can't remember what was open when I last shut down. That is a feature I particularly miss.

Thanks again for the help. At this point, I'm going back to 13.2 which does everything I need, and put the update to 42.1 on the back burner.

Default Re: How does one reinstall grub2 in / ? [Solved!]

Postscript: Thanks again Omniscient Penguin! The command "grub2-install /dev/sda1 --force" solved the boot problem. Now, if I can figure out how to do it, I'll mark the tltle "solved."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12