Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: System tray WiFi icon is not displayed when VPNs are activated with some themes.

Default System tray WiFi icon is not displayed when VPNs are activated with some themes.

The system tray WiFi icon is not displayed when I activate VPNs with some of the stock themes included with OpenSUSE Leap 42.1. This problem seems to occur primarily with most dark themes such as the Oxygen Theme or the OpenSUSEdark theme. Whereas, the icon is displayed with light themes, such as the openSUSE theme as well as one dark theme; Breeze Dark. This problem is definitely dependent on which theme that is being used. In any event, does anybody know of a quick workaround? Otherwise, I would like to file a bug report, however, I am not sure whether it is more appropriate to file the bug with OpenSUSE or KDE. I am talking specifically about the themes that are included with stock OpenSUSE Leap 42.1. However, I believe that the Oxygen Theme is provided upstream by KDE whereas I think that the OpenSUSEdark theme is supplied by OpenSUSE. So, I'm not sure whether it would be best to file the bug with OpenSUSE or KDE. Any suggestions on where to file the bug?

Thanks,

Gordon
    Laptop #1: OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 (x86_64) | HP ZBook 17 G2 (17")
    Laptop #2: OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 (x86_64) | System76 Darter (14")

Blog Entries

Default Re: System tray WiFi icon is not displayed when VPNs are activated with some themes.

First, try to make sure your problem is re-producible, and collect details which are important to describing your problem and would be important if you file a bug report. Possibly take a screenshot and post so others can see what you are describing.

I assume you feel that icons are disappearing into certain backgrounds?

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re: System tray WiFi icon is not displayed when VPNs are activated with some themes.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Possibly take a screenshot and post so others can see what you are describing.

I assume you feel that icons are disappearing into certain backgrounds?

TSU
    Yes, the Plasma 5 WiFi icon disappears when a VPN is activated. For example, with the Oxygen Desktop Theme selected, here is a screenshot of my system tray with wifi active but without an active VPN:

Whereas, here is the exact same screenshot with a VPN active:

Notice that the WiFi icon has disappeared in the system tray when the VPN is activated. (The Wifi icon is the sixth icon from the left.) I can reproduce this repeatedly with the Oxygen Theme, the OpenSUSEdark theme and other dark themes. However, the WiFi icon does not disappear when a VPN is activated with most all light themes, such as the openSUSE theme as well as one dark theme; Breeze Dark. I have two separate VPNs that I activate with the Plasma 5 Network Manager and the WiFi icon always disappears when either of the two VPNs are activated with the Oxygen Theme and the OpenSUSEdark theme for example.

I should also mention that the same thing happens with a wired connection whereby the wired connection icon disappears when a VPN is activated as well.

So, should I file a bug with OpenSUSE or KDE?

Thanks,

Gordon

In "System Tray Settings" > Entries
    Is Networks set to "Auto" or "Show"?
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

Quote Originally Posted by eng-int View Post
    In "System Tray Settings" > Entries
    Is Networks set to "Auto" or "Show"?
    Networks is set to "Shown". However, the icon disappears if set to "Auto" as well with a VPN activated.

Thanks,

Gordon

Those icons are taken from the desktop theme.

The oxygen/air desktop themes are not really complete, and just recently some bugs in the existing "icons" were discovered too:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=365204

And no, a bug report about this won't help at all. It works with breeze, and that's the only theme that's really supported.

PS: compare /usr/share/plasma/desktop-theme/default/icons/network.svgz with the one from a theme that doesn't work (in inkscape e.g.), and you'll probably see what the problem is...

PPS: the openSUSE themes are basically just taken over from KDE4 (and are therefore incomplete as well). Nobody is working on them (AFAIK) and nobody in the openSUSE KDE team has the time or skills to do that. That's why we switched to using breeze as default.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 28-Jul-2016 at 05:16.

I forgot to add:
    A possible workaround would be to delete the network.svgz file from the used desktop theme (then the one from breeze will be used), or copy it over from breeze (i.e. "default") or breeze-dark.

Or open it up in inkscape and add the missing icons yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    I forgot to add:
    A possible workaround would be to delete the network.svgz file from the used desktop theme (then the one from breeze will be used), or copy it over from breeze (i.e. "default") or breeze-dark.

Or open it up in inkscape and add the missing icons yourself...
    Thanks wolfi! I will give that a try....

Gordon

Hi wolfi,

Deleting the network.svgz file in the oxygen theme appears to fix the problem.

The breeze-dark and breeze-light themes are apparently incomplete too since they do not have the icon directory so I can't copy the network.svgz file from those themes either...

I'll investigate this further including adding the missing icon with inkscape, however, it will be a few days before I am able do that....

Thanks for the tips!

Gordon

Deleting the network.svgz file is effectively the same as using the file from the default theme, so instead of editing the oxygen file it might be easier to start with the default one. The openSUSEdark theme network.svg file seems to work although it does not have all the default icons.

When I was using the oxygen theme I noticed that when I disconnected from the network the icon disappeared, but Icould raise the Network Manager by clicking in the space that should have contained an icon.
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast