Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure where to post - ? regarding userid's and sftp clients

Default Not sure where to post - ? regarding userid's and sftp clients

I am having a strange problem with userid's and connecting using an SFTP client. I am new to this forum, have some unix/linux experience, and can usually figure stuff out, but this is a weird one.

In short, using Filezilla or WINscp, it seems that userid's (and the really weird part is not all of them) 8 characters or longer will fail to connect. Drop the ID to less than 8 characters and no issues connecting. In terms of permissions, nothing was changed except the userID. In this case, I started with wyandott. That ID would not work. I deleted it, created a new account named 'wyan' and it worked. Added 2 characters to make it 'wyando' and it worked. I then added 2 more characters 'wyandott' and it failed. Changed it to 'wyandot' and it worked again. Completely baffled by this.

I can provide Filezilla logs to show what is happening if they are needed/wanted.

Again, my apologies for not knowing where to post this. And if it needs to be move, please move to the appropriate forum.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Not sure where to post - ? regarding userid's and sftp clients

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I am having a strange problem with userid's and connecting using an SFTP client. I am new to this forum, have some unix/linux experience, and can usually figure stuff out, but this is a weird one.

In short, using Filezilla or WINscp, it seems that userid's (and the really weird part is not all of them) 8 characters or longer will fail to connect. Drop the ID to less than 8 characters and no issues connecting. In terms of permissions, nothing was changed except the userID. In this case, I started with wyandott. That ID would not work. I deleted it, created a new account named 'wyan' and it worked. Added 2 characters to make it 'wyando' and it worked. I then added 2 more characters 'wyandott' and it failed. Changed it to 'wyandot' and it worked again. Completely baffled by this.

I can provide Filezilla logs to show what is happening if they are needed/wanted.

Again, my apologies for not knowing where to post this. And if it needs to be move, please move to the appropriate forum.
    Hi
    Moving to the network subforum, temporarily closed.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post

Hi
    Moved and re-opened, can you please advise which version of openSUSE this relates to so I can fix the prefix.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

It is openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64)

However, since I posted I have done some other testing and while I was sort of on the right road, it seems to be deeper than the user ID.

It's looking like the 'cleanup' of a deleted user ID is not as good as it could/should be.

I did some other variations of user accounts and anytime I go back to a deleted user ID, the attempts to connect fail.
    In essence if I delete a user and then recreate the same account ID, I get the same result - Network Error: Software caused connection abort.

I just deleted a user and rebooted the server to see if that 'clears the cache' so to speak and hope it will correct the problem. Even in my limited experience with Linux/unix, I've never seen this issue. I know in Win - AD there is a bit of a lag depending on the number of DC's and such, but even on a local box, that should never be an issue.

Using the exact same UID and user name? With same /home/username directory?

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Using the exact same UID and user name? With same /home/username directory?
    Yes, it appears to be assigning the same UID when I create the user name. I did notice that. Is there a way to avoid that? That may allow me a workaround to get this off the ground. Probably also the source of the issue. But still unsure why the accounts are having problems to begin with....

When creating you can assign the UID you need. Note that the system uses UID for all system function not the associated name. Files in the user's home must have the same UID as the user account to work. Essentially the name is only used for the name of the home directory and human convenience. In openSUSE first user name is normally set at 1000 UID and additional are incremented unless you override. The UID must be unique to each user. Changing the UID is tricky since the users files must all change UID ownership to the new UID

Ok. I don't see that as an option within YaST. Guessing there is another way to do it. Any suggestions or recommendations?

So I did see where I can change the UID in YaST. Sorry for being 'blind' to that option.
    I recreated the user with a different UID. The original one was 1004. I changed it to 2500. I tried logging in with the SFTP client (Filezilla) and it was disconnected again. So I created a whole new user, it came back with the UID 1004. And that account logged in successfully.
    I don't know how the original accounts were created, but there is something simply wrong with those ID's. Even after deleting them and recreating them, there is something about the accounts(name???) that it just doesn't like.

I really don't want to have to rebuild the server, but if I have to I will. It seems that there should be an answer to this.

Looking for any help or ideas on where to go from here

Blog Entries

Whenever you run into an issue where a resolved name only works with 8 characters or less, that's a strong indication that the app is using NetBIOS names and not Hostnames.

You can read up about this to get the technical descriptions, but in a nutshell...

NetBIOS names are restricted to 8 characters, and have some character restrictions different than Hostnames.
    The way an app resolves NetBIOS names starts off within the OS, and then can also be resolved over the network (Commonly referred to as WINS).
    In the PC world, the use of network NetBIOS name resolution more or less refers to "NT4 Domain" technology, at least how MS implemented and in Workgroups of that era.

Nowadays, although NetBIOS name resolution support still lives on within the OS (for legacy application support), MS introduced Active Directory approx. 1999 which utilizes Hostname resolution which is also the universal framework used by the Internet. Instead of WINS, DNS is used for network name resolution. A hosts file is used for local name resolution instead of a lmhosts file.

So,
    It's useful to know that a different name resolution was very popular long ago and legacy code in today's apps might still exist, so it's good practice to use names that are consistent with the lowest common denominator between the two systems... ie. 8 characters or less, no hierarchical names, only common alphanumeric.

As for changing uids,
    I'm not sure that it should be a recommended practice unless with good reason.
    There would be many complications associated with a changed uid, for instance you would also have to change the ownership of file trees, applications, more.
    I'd more strongly consider creating an unusual User account or changing its uid if the account would be a non-login, special purpose account for a headless application, ie it would be used purely as a service account preventing any User access.

I don't know about your issues with the userid changing back to 1004 (or similar), but could be related to perhaps no access to a home partition? I remember awhile back that it's SOP to assign ordinary User accounts starting with 1000, there may be something special today about that numerical grouping. Maybe try setting with the command line and see if it has a different result than using YAST.

Also, the FTP server's authenticated FTP Users database may or may not be integrated with the local system (typically not).
    At the very least, it's likely that an FTP User database is kept separate and might be synchronized with the system Users and not directly use the system Users.
    Read your specific FTP server documentation to understand how authenticated Users are handled.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast