Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtualbox guest additions not working with latest kernel update

Post Virtualbox guest additions not working with latest kernel update

I'm running 42.1 leap as both host and guest. It's been working without any problems for months. I updated to the latest kernel this morning on both the host and guest, and now the guest additions don't work. I'm using the guest additions from the opensuse repos, not from oracle. Virtualbox version is 5.0.24_k4.1.26_21-22.1 on both host and guest. guest additions are NOT installed on the host. They were and I thought this was causing the problem and I removed them from the host. The guest additions are installed on the guest: version 5.0.24-22.1. The linux kernel version is 4.1.27-24.1.

The virtualbox-host-kmp_default rpm is installed on both. Do I need it on the guest, or should I delete it?

Is this a problem because the linux kernel doesn't match the virtual box version?

Default Re: Virtualbox guest additions not working with latest kernel update

Answered my own question. I rebooted the guest with the previous kernel and the guest additions work. Any idea when a new version of virtualbox will be available to match the new kernel?

See http://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=987990

An update with rebuilt guest tools is on the way and should get released in the next few days (probably tomorrow, or on Monday at least).
    Last edited by wolfi323; 16-Jul-2016 at 15:17.

Default AW: Re: Virtualbox guest additions not working with latest kernel update

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    See http://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=987990

An update with rebuilt guest tools is on the way and should get released in the next few days (probably tomorrow, or on Monday at least).
    Hallo,
    ich habe OpenSUSE 13.2 in einer VirtualBox 5.1 installiert.
    Ich nutze die Distro-eigenen GuestAdditions

virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop
    virtiualbox-guest-tools
    virtualbox-guest-X11

Beim Menüpunkt "Anzeige" der VM sind:
    Automatisch Anpassung der Gastanzeige
    Nahtloser Modus
    ausgegraut.
    Die VM läuft nur in einem quadratischen Fenster, aber Shared Folder funktioniert.

Wie kriege ich die GuestAdditions wieder zum Laufen?

Gruß
    Rummelfliege

On 07/20/2016 04:56 AM, Rummelfliege wrote:
    >
    > wolfi323;2785667 Wrote:
    >> See http://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=987990
    >>
    >> An update with rebuilt guest tools is on the way and should get released
    >> in the next few days (probably tomorrow, or on Monday at least).

>
    > Hallo,

Hallo,

English please.

> ich habe OpenSUSE 13.2 in einer VirtualBox 5.1 installiert.
    > Ich nutze die Distro-eigenen GuestAdditions
    >
    > virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop
    > virtiualbox-guest-tools
    > virtualbox-guest-X11
    >
    > Beim Menüpunkt "Anzeige" der VM sind:
    > Automatisch Anpassung der Gastanzeige
    > Nahtloser Modus
    > ausgegraut.
    > Die VM läuft nur in einem quadratischen Fenster, aber Shared Folder
    > funktioniert.
    >
    > Wie kriege ich die GuestAdditions wieder zum Laufen?
    >
    > Gruß
    > Rummelfliege
    >
    >

--
    Ken
    linux since 1994
    S.u.S.E./openSUSE since 1996

Default Re: AW: Re: Virtualbox guest additions not working with latest kernel update

Quote Originally Posted by Rummelfliege View Post
    Hallo,
    ich habe OpenSUSE 13.2 in einer VirtualBox 5.1 installiert.
    Ich nutze die Distro-eigenen GuestAdditions

virtiualbox-guest-tools
    virtualbox-guest-X11

Beim Menüpunkt "Anzeige" der VM sind:
    Automatisch Anpassung der Gastanzeige
    Nahtloser Modus
    ausgegraut.
    Die VM läuft nur in einem quadratischen Fenster, aber Shared Folder funktioniert.

Wie kriege ich die GuestAdditions wieder zum Laufen?
    the solution to my problem is:
    1) Delete the distro's Guest Additions in YaST.
    virtiualbox-guest-tools
    virtualbox-guest-X11

2) Installation of Oracle ISO Guest Additions to match the version of VirtualBox.

It's running with the Guest Additions in VirtualBox 5.1.0.
    But not under the VirtualBox 4.2.26.

Here on OpenSUSE 13.2 does seem forced to insist that versions of VirtualBox and associated GuestAditions must match.

greeting
    Rummelfliege

dilireus -

This may be what you are looking for:

openSUSE-RU-2016:1849-1: important: Recommended update for the Linux kernel
    https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-.../msg00068.html

I would be interested to learn if anyone has installed this update and did not encounter any issues with VirtualBox (or anything else).

Quote Originally Posted by Rummelfliege View Post
    It's running with the Guest Additions in VirtualBox 5.1.0.
    But not under the VirtualBox 4.2.26.

Here on OpenSUSE 13.2 does seem forced to insist that versions of VirtualBox and associated GuestAditions must match.
    Well, not exactly.
    But the difference between 4.2.26 and 5.1.0 might indeed be too big.

But openSUSE 13.2 does have VirtualBox (and the guest additions) in version 5.0.20 meanwhile (via updates). Just updating the guest may have helped too, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by w2tq View Post
    This may be what you are looking for:

openSUSE-RU-2016:1849-1: important: Recommended update for the Linux kernel
    https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-.../msg00068.html

I would be interested to learn if anyone has installed this update and did not encounter any issues with VirtualBox (or anything else).
    The Leap 42.1 update repo does have the guest kmp built for kernel 4.1.27 meanwhile (this was missing before, therefore it only worked with the previous 4.1.26 kernel), so there hopefully won't be any problems any more.

I cannot test it myself though, as I can only run 32bit guests here (my 64bit CPU doesn't have hardware virtualization support...).

wolfi323 -

Thank you. I believe we corresponded before on other issues.

Having just gone through a lengthy update of three machines with Leap 42.1 as well as the virtual machine installation, while I did accept the patches for two of machines on the day they were released, I was concerned that I might break something on my main workstation (the one with the VirtualBox installation) and hence my query.

After waiting a few days, and then searching on the web and in the forums, and not finding any reports of issues with the latest kernel and VirtualBox patches, I went ahead and installed them (the 64-bit versions). As far as I can tell, they are performing properly as are the rest of the systems.

Default AW: Re: Virtualbox guest additions not working with latest kernel update

Quote Originally Posted by w2tq View Post
    Thank you. I believe we corresponded before on other issues.
    Quite likely, yes.

After waiting a few days, and then searching on the web and in the forums, and not finding any reports of issues with the latest kernel and VirtualBox patches, I went ahead and installed them (the 64-bit versions). As far as I can tell, they are performing properly as are the rest of the systems.
    Thanks for confirming!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast