Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Upgrades crashing my system.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN USA
    Posts
    60

    Default Upgrades crashing my system.

    I put a fresh install of tumbleweed in after changing back from ubuntu. (had to try it). Tumbleweed worked fine before and with a fresh install it still does. However after the fresh install there a numerous updates and this is where the problems begin.

    I am not sure if it's plasma, KDE or what is being affected but what happens is, I cannot open Dolphin in plain or admin mode, I cannot reboot my laptop. My open windows do not look the same, buttons are square, Yast is in 2 columns, it just goes kooky. No additional programs installed, no other repositories, just a plain install. Not sure if things have changed in the past month with opensuse, KDE, QT4/5 or where this would be coming from but I cannot get Tumbleweed to work properly like it did before. Back to 13.2 till I can get this resolved

    Can anyone shed some light on what the problem might be?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,559

    Default Re: Upgrades crashing my system.

    We usually need a little bit more system/hardware information:
    • CPU;
    • RAM (4GB - 8GB - whatever);
    • Graphics/Video (AMD; nVidia; Intel; whatever);
    • Disk (500 GB; 1TB; whatever);
    • possibly: Motherboard.

    Further information such as the disk partitioning can also sometimes help -- single ext4 partition; Leap standard (BtrFS system partition and XFS user partition); whatever.

    Having said all that, later posts indicate that you do seem to have Tumbleweed up and running.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN USA
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Upgrades crashing my system.

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    We usually need a little bit more system/hardware information:
    • CPU;
    • RAM (4GB - 8GB - whatever);
    • Graphics/Video (AMD; nVidia; Intel; whatever);
    • Disk (500 GB; 1TB; whatever);
    • possibly: Motherboard.

    Further information such as the disk partitioning can also sometimes help -- single ext4 partition; Leap standard (BtrFS system partition and XFS user partition); whatever.

    Having said all that, later posts indicate that you do seem to have Tumbleweed up and running.
    Yes, I switched to the Gnome Desktop and it seems to run a bit better with exceptions.... but not anything that I am concerned with, I found other software that works better then the pre-installed video/music players. I do like KDE better because you can configure more things to personal tastes but I will have to wait until I get a better laptop. My 64bit HP died and I am on an old HP Compaq nc6220. I have 998 meg ram and a 30 gig HD. Pathetic I know LOL.

    Thank you for responding though, I appreciate it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,862
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Upgrades crashing my system.

    Quote Originally Posted by michellebrooks View Post
    Yes, I switched to the Gnome Desktop and it seems to run a bit better with exceptions.... but not anything that I am concerned with, I found other software that works better then the pre-installed video/music players. I do like KDE better because you can configure more things to personal tastes but I will have to wait until I get a better laptop. My 64bit HP died and I am on an old HP Compaq nc6220. I have 998 meg ram and a 30 gig HD. Pathetic I know LOL.

    Thank you for responding though, I appreciate it.
    The bold part is an issue.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  5. #5

    Default Re: Upgrades crashing my system.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    The bold part is an issue.
    I can run OS without any issue on a system with 1 GB system RAM, but at least it has a dual-core processor. I have installed Tumbleweed on a couple old laptops, all with multi-core AMD CPU's and at least 2 GB RAM.
    One thing I have found after numerous installations and reinstallations is that EXT4 is the more reliable choice for old hardware. I would also note that a minimum 2 GB system memory is desirable for the older laptops since it minimizes, or eliminates, swap.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,748

    Default Re: Upgrades crashing my system.

    Even 2 gig may be short if you really push memory usage. Back when I only had 2 gig FF would fail if I had a VM open just used up memory. FF uses a ton of memory for each tab

  7. #7

    Default Re: Upgrades crashing my system.

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Even 2 gig may be short if you really push memory usage. Back when I only had 2 gig FF would fail if I had a VM open just used up memory. FF uses a ton of memory for each tab
    No question that virtual machines will need additional free memory.

    The OP is struggling with very limited hardware. I have an old Toshiba notebook given me by a friend when he found it useless when he "upgraded" from Win 7 to Win 10. It has the puny Intel Atom CPU and 2 GB RAM. For this hardware I found Linux Mint 17.3 Mate (32-bit) the best performer after replacing the HD with an SSD. It is still a bit sluggish, but at least I no longer have to take a coffee break while waiting for an app to open. A Toshiba laptop with Intel Centrino CPU with 2.5 GB RAM and an SSD runs OS 13.1 (32-bit) with gusto.

    As I mentioned, I think a multi-core CPU is essential for any decent performance. A 2.2 GHz Pentium with 2 GB RAM runs OS 13.1 noticeably slower than the same OS on an 1.7 GHz Intel dual-core CPU with only 1 GB RAM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN USA
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Upgrades crashing my system.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    The bold part is an issue.
    LOL, yes, that is a big issue for me too with things running really slow.


    I do think the problem is with GTK if that is what changed the look of the windows. It seems when openSuse does it's 400+ upgrades after a fresh install, all my windows change in look. They look like a MS Windows desktop window. I can no longer log out and have to use the power button to restart the system and when I do I only get a command prompt, no desktop. Then I end up reinstalling Tumbleweed to get everything back and the vicious cycle begins all over LOL.

    Even thought I like KDE better, I have switched to GNOME and Tumbleweed is working good. Slow, but good. I would just go back to 13.2 with KDE which worked good as well but for some reason Tumbleweed makes my graphics look better and also I cannot get Inkscape to work with KDE. Kinda liking Gnome a bit better with the exception KDE has better capabilities of changing the look. Of course, 13.2 seemed to have more options and availability than Tumbleweed. I was going to try Leap but it's only for 64 bit and all I have atm is 32.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Upgrades crashing my system.

    Quote Originally Posted by michellebrooks View Post
    ... I can no longer log out and have to use the power button to restart the system and when I do I only get a command prompt, no desktop. Then I end up reinstalling Tumbleweed to get everything back and the vicious cycle begins all over LOL..
    This happens to me too. Use ctrl-alt-backspace, then ctrl-alt-del to reboot cleanly. When you reinstall Tumbleweed, use EXT4 instead of BTRFS.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN USA
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Upgrades crashing my system.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metapsych View Post
    This happens to me too. Use ctrl-alt-backspace, then ctrl-alt-del to reboot cleanly. When you reinstall Tumbleweed, use EXT4 instead of BTRFS.
    Yes, I am using EXT4 for the install. BTRFS was giving me problems previously with using up too much hard drive space.

    I think there is something in the updates that my little system does not like because of it not being very powerful. I had Tumbleweed KDE on it before and it was working fine. This all started after trying another OS and then coming back to openSuse. I tried ubuntu for about a month. I didn't like it so I put openSuse back in and that is where the trouble started. I formatted the entire hard drive when I installed openSuse so that none of ubuntu was left on the drive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •