Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrades crashing my system.

Default Re: Upgrades crashing my system.

Quote Originally Posted by michellebrooks View Post
    I will double check the ram I have now, not sure if there is 1 or 2 in there that make up the 1gig that I have. I may have to replace both to get the 2 gig. I may look at changing out the 30gig HD as well. It seems ok at the moment but I can fill a hard drive pretty quick.

Yes, I will check out the local pawn shops and we have a small computer shop not that far from us too. I do graphic design so I do need to get something with a bit of power to it, at least I did when running windows. Video editing can take up a lot of resources. I will also look into Mint, although not really sure the difference between linux companies, I would think that linux is linux.... but I honestly don't know..... I have been seeing a few differences with the info I find in google with installing programs from unbutu, debian and others.... so maybe there is a difference in the linux itself.

Thanks again for the help. This forum has proven very helpful for me. Everyone here has been great!!!
    What programs do you want to run? You may want to post another query and maybe some other users can recommend the best hardware to work with your apps.

Graphics and video editing require a lot of RAM and CPU cycles, so a desktop may be a better choice, since you will not be fighting the various power conserving features that draw down performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Metapsych View Post
    What programs do you want to run? You may want to post another query and maybe some other users can recommend the best hardware to work with your apps.

Graphics and video editing require a lot of RAM and CPU cycles, so a desktop may be a better choice, since you will not be fighting the various power conserving features that draw down performance.
    I did graphic design, photo editing, video editing and built dynamic web sites. Here is what I am use to...

Basically Adobe Studio products.....
    • Premiere
    • Dreamweaver (using this since the Macromedia days)
    • Photoshop
    • Illustrator
    • InDesign (formerly PageMaker)

I use to program in Classic ASP then .NET became the standard and at that point wanted to break away from Microsoft so I was thinking that since I am learning a new language I would learn PHP. Although that is kinda limited so was looking over Linux languages and was thinking Python. Most of my past work has been with dynamic web pages so I may just start with PHP, at least I can do some things for myself for self promotion for my graphics.

With what I am finding with Linux so far I will need....
    • Gimp
    • Inkscape

Not sure what to do about video editing yet, I installed curlview but have not tried it yet. I know this laptop is too weak for video, even photo editing is slow for me.

For programming, I just need the server and a text editor although I do like WYSIWYG, less typing. LOL.

At the moment, I am considering going back to 13.2 since Flash keeps crashing on me. It's probably better since 13.2 runs better on this laptop. I am going to try Mint as well since I am going to have to re-install openSuse anyway. I was looking over their system requirements and this machine will handle it ok. Although Tumbleweed seems to be working well with just a few exceptions, Flash being one of them. Yes, I know it's on it's way out and to be honest I only use it to play one game on-line.... but it crashes way too much so enjoying the game is very hard when I cannot get it to re-open. Flash ran well with 13.2. My only concern with 13.2 is playing video..... I installed VLC and it didn't seem to run right but works flawlessly with tumbleweed, even using the 3.0 beta. I am almost sure I can get it running on 13.2 and if not it's back to Tumbleweed.... LOL. I know, I'm a mess. Each version I have issues with one thing. I just need to decide which is more important.

VLC worked fine with 13.2 KDE, but Gnome is where I ran into issues. But with KDE Inkscape will not install properly so I had to use Gnome. See my issues... LOL. Always 1 thing that is causing me to jump from version and desktop. I really hope that when I get the new laptop that this will not be an issue anymore.

If I am slow in responding it is because I will be installing another version or system. I will check back as soon as I can get things working enough to get on-line.

Thanks for the advice and software suggestions.

Linux Mint 17.3 will install with Flash and other internet video support. Just heed the installation notes; there is a bug in the Mate version that is easy to correct by running apt install with three kde packages. The KDE version of Mint is good to go. I mention Mate because it has the "lightest" GUI and runs well with modest CPU power and RAM. I have not tried 18 yet; will wait for 18.1.

I am also running OS 13.1 because it has dial-up support, which I want for back up. Later releases can be made to work dial-up, but only as root.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123