Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Power management system wide

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    275

    Question Power management system wide

    Hello,
    I want o run my desktop 24x7, but with large periods of inactivity. Thus, I have configured PM in my KDE settings (since the relevant Yast module is not implemented). The desktop is used by 3 people, so, I don't want to do either of the following:
    • Copy the PM configuration from User A to Users B, C etc. This option, of course, creates more questions:
      • Which file should I copy?
      • How do I replicate this setting for each new user created on my desktop?

    • Create a new system wide PM policy that will be forced to all users by default.


    Any idea/hint/howto is most welcome.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,768
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Power management system wide

    Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    Hello,
    I want o run my desktop 24x7, but with large periods of inactivity. Thus, I have configured PM in my KDE settings (since the relevant Yast module is not implemented). The desktop is used by 3 people, so, I don't want to do either of the following:
    • Copy the PM configuration from User A to Users B, C etc. This option, of course, creates more questions:
      • Which file should I copy?
      • How do I replicate this setting for each new user created on my desktop?

    • Create a new system wide PM policy that will be forced to all users by default.


    Any idea/hint/howto is most welcome.
    AFAIK the data are in the file ~/.config/powermanagementprofilesrc

    Putting a copy of that file in /etc/skel/.config/ should make it the default for new users.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,515

    Default Re: Power management system wide

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    AFAIK the data are in the file ~/.config/powermanagementprofilesrc
    For 13.2 and KDE4 Plasma, the location is "~/.kde4/share/config/powermanagementprofilesrc".

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,515

    Default Re: Power management system wide

    You could take a look at the following Leap 42.1 documentation, which is mostly also applicable to 13.2:
    System Analysis and Tuning Guide: Power Management: <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...ing.power.html>
    Reference: Mobile Computers: Power Management: <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...a.pmanage.html>

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    275

    Default Απ: Re: Power management system wide

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    For 13.2 and KDE4 Plasma, the location is "~/.kde4/share/config/powermanagementprofilesrc".
    I guess that if I copy the file in /etc/kde4/share/config/ it will be available globally, but I have to do it a clever way (soft link, maybe?), so I will not have a bunch of .rpm{new,old} files.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    275

    Default Απ: Re: Power management system wide

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    You could take a look at the following Leap 42.1 documentation, which is mostly also applicable to 13.2:
    System Analysis and Tuning Guide: Power Management: <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...ing.power.html>
    Reference: Mobile Computers: Power Management: <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...a.pmanage.html>
    Thank you for your answer. It's not working on my case, I believe. The issue is that I cannot make the desktop to actually go to sleep/hibernate when more than one users are logged in. Hmm.

    And, which is the most important, even when I have only one user, when I hibernate the PC, it automatically starts again! So, I have this cycle:
    Hibername-->"power off"..>auto power on!!!!!-->unbootable system!

    It could be a hardware(UEFI/BIOS) issue, but the fact that the system is unbootable worries me a lot. It's not normal.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,515

    Default Re: Απ: Re: Power management system wide

    Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    I guess that if I copy the file in /etc/kde4/share/config/ it will be available globally, but I have to do it a clever way (soft link, maybe?), so I will not have a bunch of .rpm{new,old} files.
    No, if it to be made available for all users, it needs to be placed in "/etc/skel/.config/".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,515

    Default Re: Απ: Re: Power management system wide

    Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    The issue is that I cannot make the desktop to actually go to sleep/hibernate when more than one users are logged in.
    And why should you?

    Please be aware that, "sleep" and "hibernate" only make sense for systems with at most one human user using the machine (it sometimes makes sense for a remote stand-alone machines to autonomously put themselves into "sleep" or "hibernate" states but, please be aware that such machines have hardware which allows that an external event event can "wake-them-up").

    Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    And, which is the most important, even when I have only one user, when I hibernate the PC, it automatically starts again! So, I have this cycle:
    Hibername-->"power off"..>auto power on!!!!!-->unbootable system!

    It could be a hardware(UEFI/BIOS) issue, but the fact that the system is unbootable worries me a lot. It's not normal.
    It could be that there's an event occurring which brings the machine out of the standby or hibernate state: check the BIOS Advanced Power Management (APM) settings for things like:
    • Power on from S5 by PME (Power Management Event);
    • Power on from S5 by Ring (if there's a modem connected, when someone places a telephone call to the modem's telephone number the machine "wakes-up").
    • Power on by PS/2 keyboard;
    • Power on from S5 by RTC (real time clock) alarm.


    Bottom line: it's possibly not very productive to attempt to save more power than that which current Linux systems already achieve: openSUSE is "green", really . . . In earlier versions there were things which attempted to save power but, with 13.1 I gave up on doing anything -- the power saving "out-of-the-box" is so good that hours of effort attempting to "improve things" doesn't really bring any significant results . . .

  9. #9

    Default AW: Power management system wide

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    No, if it to be made available for all users, it needs to be placed in "/etc/skel/.config/".
    In this case as it is KDE4, it needs to be placed in "/etc/skel/kde4/config/" though.

    Files in /etc/skel/ will *not* be made available for all users though. They are only copied to a user's home directory when you create a new user account.

    Or you can indeed put config files to /etc/kde4/share/config/. Those are used as default then for *all* users (even existing ones), as long as they are not overridden by the user (in ~/.kde4).
    And no, you don't have to fear that that will create a bunch of .rpm{new,old} files.

    Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    The issue is that I cannot make the desktop to actually go to sleep/hibernate when more than one users are logged in. Hmm.
    Normally this needs the root password.

    You can allow it in the polkit config though if you really want to. Add the following line to /etc/polkit-default-privs.local:
    Code:
    org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate-multiple-sessions           yes
    Then run "sudo polkit_set_default_privs" to activate the change.

    Suspending should actually be allowed even if multiple users are logged in AFAICS, if not you could also add:
    Code:
    org.freedesktop.login1.suspend-multiple-sessions                yes
    Last edited by wolfi323; 15-Jul-2016 at 10:16.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •