Draging a file from Dolphin and dropping it on emacs doesn't work

I’m running Leap 42.1, x86_64, KDE 5.4.3, QT 5.5.1, Dolphin 15.12.1 and Emacs 24.3.1.
When I drag a file from Dolphin and drop it on an emacs window, nothing happens. This worked on all previous Suse versions I used. The file used to be opened in a new buffer.
I first suspected that emacs is the culprit, as it works with Kate as drop target.
I then tried dragging from Konqueror on Emacs and it worked! It seems to be the combination of Dolphin and Emacs that doesn’t work.

I played with Krypton yesterday and it worked.
I installed the latest Tumbleweed version this morning and it doesn’t work (there are a lot of error messages when I start emacs in a terminal and the menus are not displayed properly - a different problem).

Can I configure Dolphin and/or Emacs such that drag & drop works?

Thanks, Stephan

If I were to guess,
The Dolphin maintenance people haven’t caught up to the current turbulence related to changing support for xserver which I think may be required for DragNDrop to work…

My guess is that the easiest way to test this is to install “Remote Admnistration(VNC)” in YAST which will install, configure and start an xserver, then reboot and then see if that fixes your problem. If it does, then maybe you can leave the services running but close the Firewall ports (again, using the Remote Admin applet) if you don’t want to actually allow remote access to your machine.

Regardless if fixed, recommend your next step is to submit a bug to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org.

TSU

I had an issue with my Leap 42.1 system dragging/dropping into a Web Application.

It is now resolved (works) but I am running Dolphin 16.04.2 from Frameworks 5.24 repo.

You might try Konqueror in file manager mode to see if that works on your setup, there was a recent post that I can’t quickly find that pointed out that Konq was working, but Dolphin not.
That might provide you with a short term work around for this know (and fixed) Dolphin issue.

Good luck

Thanks for the quick reply.
I installed “Remote Administration (VNC)”, but that didn’t fix it.

Stephan

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 15:16:01 GMT stephanhh wrote:

> I’m running Leap 42.1, x86_64, KDE 5.4.3, QT 5.5.1, Dolphin 15.12.1
> and Emacs 24.3.1.
> When I drag a file from Dolphin and drop it on an emacs window,
> nothing happens. This worked on all previous Suse versions I used.

I recognized the same in combination with firefox and for me the
solution was to recompile kdebase4 package in a way that dolphin4 is
included as before in older versions of this package.

So now i use dolphin4 as default because this can drag&drop as before.
I don’t know if this works with KDE 5.4.3 because i still use KDE 4
under Leap.

Good Luck.