Thread: How to install software packages that are downloaded from the internet.

Default How to install software packages that are downloaded from the internet.

I am trying to install the Eclipse compiler, but I keep running into the issue of not understanding how to install software not provided by YaST. I feel like there should be plenty of information on this very subject, but I am having trouble figuring it out. The file extension is .tar.gz. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to install software packages that are downloaded from the internet.

I don't know anything about eclipse.

However, for a tarball (".tar.gz" or ".tgz"), typically one creates a suitable directory (maybe even in "/tmp" since this is just temporary. Then one extracts the tarball
    Code:
    cd that-new-directory
    tar zxpf /path/to/tarball/file
    That gives you the complete content of that tarball.

Usually, there is a file named "README" or similar. There might also be a file named "Configure" and one named "INSTALL" or "INSTALL.txt" or "install.txt".

One then reads the README file, which usually says what to do next.

Depending on what's there, you might need to install a compiler (install the base-development pattern for that).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: How to install software packages that are downloaded from the internet.

alternatively to nrickert's advice you could just use the oneclick installer

http://software.opensuse.org/package/eclipse

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    alternatively to nrickert's advice you could just use the oneclick installer

http://software.opensuse.org/package/eclipse
    Yes, that is likely to be a lot easier and with far less to go wrong.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sittingduck91 View Post
    I am trying to install the Eclipse compiler, but I keep running into the issue of not understanding how to install software not provided by YaST. I feel like there should be plenty of information on this very subject, but I am having trouble figuring it out. The file extension is .tar.gz. Thanks for any help that can be provided.
    Unless something has changed, the compiler is a component that may need to be configured, and that is a separate issue from downloading and installing Eclipse from the Eclipse website.

When you install Eclipse
    - You first need to select the version most appropriate for the projects you intend to work on. You can extend Eclipse to install additional frameworks and support different languages, but things can then become very complex. Install only what you need for your immediate needs.
    - You should know that for the most part, when you extract Eclipse for "installation" you're basically locating an entire tree of directories and files which can be placed almost anywhere you wish. Many prefer in within the /opt tree, others prefer a subdirectory of your /home. There are reasons each might be chosen. You you simply extract the tar.gz file(likely using tar) to a particular location. If you change your mind, just move the entire extracted tree to another location, and you should do this ASAP. Once you start configuring, all those settings may become invalid if your Eclipse is moved again.
    - Various compilers and other supporting tools may need to be configured. Java support (environment, compiler, code validation, etc) is very well known for requiring extensive configuration.

Although things may have changed, most Developers prefer to download their Eclipse from the Eclipse website instead of from the OSS so that you become intimately aware where everything is located, the configurations you make and to install the components you need (by selecting your Eclipse version).

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Here are a few relevant Eclipse links that more or less describe what I already posted. Interesting that they describe "unzipping" a tar file, I can't remember if unzip does tar.gz (I typically use tar).

The basics

https://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_Where_d...all_Eclipse%3F

A few more described steps, including extending to support Maven (a popular code manager), PyDev (online Python libraries) and personal customizations. Even if you don't actually install (don't unless you will actually use, installing unnecessary stuff will slow down your machine), you should at least skim how each is installed... Each is representative of a different way of installing and extending within Eclipse.

https://www.eclipse.org/users/

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!