Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.

  1. #1

    Question Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.

    After one of my reboots I noticed this message starting to appear in the boot log (in bold):

    Code:
    Jul 09 00:18:45 mycomputer systemd[1]: Started YaST2 Second Stage.
    Jul 09 00:18:45 mycomputer systemd[1]: Started YaST2 Firstboot.
    Jul 09 00:18:45 mycomputer systemd[1]: Starting SuSEfirewall2 phase 1...
    Jul 09 00:18:45 mycomputer systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.
    Jul 09 00:18:45 mycomputer systemd[1]: Started Permit User Sessions.
    Jul 09 00:18:45 mycomputer systemd[1]: Started /etc/init.d/boot.local Compatibility.
    When I check after boot completion the firewall seems to work, so it is not failed (or it is unrelated):

    Code:
    # systemctl status SuSEfirewall2.service 
    SuSEfirewall2.service - SuSEfirewall2 phase 2
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/SuSEfirewall2.service; enabled)
       Active: active (exited) since Sat 2016-07-09 00:18:48 EEST; 29min ago
      Process: 1650 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/SuSEfirewall2 boot_setup (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
     Main PID: 1650 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
       CGroup: /system.slice/SuSEfirewall2.service
    
    
    Jul 09 00:18:48 mycomputer systemd[1]: Started SuSEfirewall2 phase 2.
    Here is also the service file. I have never modified this file, so it is original as after Leap installation:

    Code:
    # cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/SuSEfirewall2_init.service 
    [Unit]
    Description=SuSEfirewall2 phase 1
    Before=network.service
    Before=basic.service
    
    
    [Service]
    ExecStart=/usr/sbin/SuSEfirewall2 boot_init
    RemainAfterExit=true
    Type=oneshot
    
    
    [Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target
    Also=SuSEfirewall2.service
    It is strange because I am actually using wicked, not Network Manager.

    How can I fix it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,544
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.

    What does the following report?
    Code:
    systemctl status NetworkManager-wait-online.service
    Since you're using wicked, maybe you just need to disable it.
    Code:
    systemctl disable NetworkManager-wait-online.service
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 08-Jul-2016 at 16:35.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    What does the following report?
    Code:
    systemctl status NetworkManager-wait-online.service
    It says:

    Code:
    # systemctl status NetworkManager-wait-online.service
    NetworkManager-wait-online.service - Network Manager Wait Online
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager-wait-online.service; disabled)
       Active: inactive (dead)
    
    
    Jul 09 00:18:45 i7 systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.
    Since you're using wicked, maybe you just need to disable it.
    Code:
    systemctl disable NetworkManager-wait-online.service
    But the status says it is disabled. Do I understand correctly? Before reinstalling Leap I used the exact same network configurations etc. and never got such error message.

    Any idea?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,184

    Default Re: Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.

    Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    But the status says it is disabled.
    It lies. Newer systemd version would probably output "static" instead of "disabled" ... hmm, still "disabled" on TW ... OK, this is different issue. Anyway

    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=988272

  5. #5

    Default Re: Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    It lies. Newer systemd version would probably output "static" instead of "disabled" ... hmm, still "disabled" on TW ... OK, this is different issue. Anyway

    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=988272

    So you have found it is a bug and reported it. Do I understand correctly?

    Is there anything else I need to do on my side?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,544
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.

    Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    So you have found it is a bug and reported it. Do I understand correctly?

    Is there anything else I need to do on my side?
    Try this
    Code:
    systemctl mask NetworkManager-wait-online.service
    then nothing should activate it. Restart and report back.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Try this
    Code:
    systemctl mask NetworkManager-wait-online.service
    then nothing should activate it. Restart and report back.
    I am in the middle of a process that needs some hours to complete, so I can't reboot right now but I will do after and write back. Thanks.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,184

    Default Re: Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Try this
    Code:
    systemctl mask NetworkManager-wait-online.service
    then nothing should activate it. Restart and report back.
    Then you still get errors in logs that it is masked. Anyway, this problem is mostly cosmetic and can be safely ignored. Efforts to fix it are probably not justified comparing with impact. May be mention it in release notes.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Then you still get errors in logs that it is masked. Anyway, this problem is mostly cosmetic and can be safely ignored. Efforts to fix it are probably not justified comparing with impact. May be mention it in release notes.
    I still don't see the reason for it to appear. As I mentioned before reinstalling Leap it wasn't there - with the exact same system configuration. It would be good to find the reason.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,544
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dependency failed for Network Manager Wait Online.

    Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    I still don't see the reason for it to appear. As I mentioned before reinstalling Leap it wasn't there - with the exact same system configuration. It would be good to find the reason.
    Yes, not sure why you're impacted -clearly something is triggering it. I can't replicate it though (when switched to wicked). FWIW, here's a similar thread with an openSUSE 13.2 and wicked...

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ger-dependency

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •