VirtualBox 5.0.22 - Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Today, trying to start VirtualBox results in the infamous error “Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)”

Posts with this error are all over various forums, including here, but their solutions are old and no longer effective.

What is the current solution to this error?

Incomprehensible error arcana, as needed:

Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: 
MachineWrap
Interface: 
IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/sbin/rcvboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

The above instruction to run ‘/sbin/rcvboxdrv setup’ is, of course, a dud. Attempting just ‘rcvboxdrv setup’ on it’s own results in …

VirtualBox kernel module, NOT. It has been packaged.     done

… and error remains.

Don’t cross post.
Ask your question once (in your case in the Virtualization Forum).

TSU

Yeah; except I only posted once. Here.

Potato, potatoe. To me, it’s just another application. If Virtual Box gets its very own special “virtualization” forum here, whatever.

There are reasons to having separate forum threads.But in any case do not post the same questions in multiple threads it cause confusion. Please post single question to one thread only to make it easier for any that want to help you. VM’s for the most part are defiantly not just another app remember there are many VMs and some run a lot closer to the metal then others. Remember we are not just trying to help you but also documenting problems so others may benefit also.

On 07/06/2016 03:46 PM, SUSEtoad wrote:
>
> tsu2;2784671 Wrote:
>> Don’t cross post.
>> Ask your question once (in your case in the Virtualization Forum).
>>
>> TSU
>
> Yeah; except I only posted once. Here.
>
> Potato, potatoe. To me, it’s just another application. If Virtual Box
> gets its very own special “virtualization” forum here, whatever.
>
>

When in Rome…

Ken
linux since 1994
S.u.S.E./openSUSE since 1996