fresh opensuse install : all gnome 3 extensions installations are failing

hello,

I installed yesterday opensuse tumbleweed with kernel 4.6.2-1.
I wanted to install some gnome 3 extensions, but no installation is possible.

here is how I proceeded; I :

• launched firefox (v47)
  • connected to https://extensions.gnome.org
  • selected an interesting extension
  • turned on the button
  • at this time, the screen became dark (sometimes the session is closed automatically), and after a few seconds the desktop appeared again, but the “installed extensions” tab indicates me no extension was installed. moreover, when I refresh the page of the extension, the button is “off”.

I disabled the popup blocker but it changed nothing.

on other browsers (chrome, opera) I even have no on/off button…

Hi
When visiting the extensions site, did it ask about accepting/allowing the site?

In FireFox about:plugins is gnome-shell-integration present?

Also is the system all up to date (zypper dup)?

hello

thank you for your quick answer.

• FF doesn’t ask me to accept the site, no popup appears when connecting to this page
  • “about/plugins” → the plugin is present, it is enabled
  • “zypper dup” → it updated some stuff, I rebooted the computer, but after that the behavior is still the same (click to flip on the button => dark screen a few seconds, and nothing is installed)

Hi
OK, create a new user and login, open FireFox and go to https://extensions.gnome.org/ do you see any popup? Try installing an extension…

well, it resists!

I created an admin user, changed of user, and launched FF.
back to the gnome extension page, I saw 2 little popups : it effectively asks me to allow some gnome related stuff.
now, I remember it has already showed me these 2 popups with the first user, sorry I did not remembered this.

but the installation of new extensions still fails, in the same manner.:frowning:

Hi
OK, if you press alt+F2 and then enter;

lg <press enter key>

Then click on extensions, do you see them installed? If so click on the errors link, any errors? Press the esc key to exit looking glass (lg).

I just checked here, I installed the Lock Keys extension, it installed and works fine, so maybe there is a missing typelib.

Can you remove all your extensions and check in lg they are all gone and restart the shell, press alt+F2;

r <press enter>

Check there are none lurking via lg again and also via;

ls ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/

Then visit the extensions site again and add the lock keys extension, does this install and work?

hello

I called lg, but on the extensions tab I see none. It is coherent with what I see in the extensions site of gnome : even after having flipped on an extension, on “installed extensions” there was nothing.

and the directory gnome-shell only contains the sub-directory application_state

Hi
So is this a pure gnome install, or you added later as a desktop?

On Thu 30 Jun 2016 05:56:02 PM CDT, malcolmlewis wrote:

lolveley;2784090 Wrote:
> hello
>
> I called lg, but on the extensions tab I see none. It is coherent with
> what I see in the extensions site of gnome : even after having flipped
> on an extension, on “installed extensions” there was nothing.
>
> and the directory gnome-shell only contains the sub-directory
> application_state
Hi
So is this a pure gnome install, or you added later as a desktop?

Hi
Also check journalctl as your trying to install and extension, open a
terminal window;

su -
journalctl -f

Then add an extension and see what gets printed out… ctrl+c to exit
the journalctl follow command.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.26-21-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

ah, you’re really strong!

Indeed, I forgot to mention that during the configuration, I decided to add mate desktop, because I somewhat know how to use it, and I thought that later it could be useful.

Do you think I should reinstall opensuse without add mate?

Hi
I would guess there is possibly some conflict, you should be able to remove the pattern? Else probably quicker to re-install with just gnome, then check all is ok. Then if wanting to use MATE, try and see what happens, if your using btrfs, you can always rollback to the snapshot before you installed MATE. Or maybe raise a bug, up to you.

I have an other question : I installed tumbleweed, but I wonder about the utility of this version, and if the leap version wouldn’t be better.
My computer requires a recent version of the bluetooth managers because I own a bluetooth keyboard, and this keyboard is used on 2 computers (opensuse & windows); the keyboard, a logitech k380, is able to switch from one computer to the other, but some linux distributions don’t manage this keyboard well. this is not the case of opensuse, which is as powerful as windows in this domain.
The other requirement I need is the ability to manage some vmware virtual disks, but I think that for this tumbleweed & leap should be equals in speed and compatibility.

I saw you are using leap, may you tell me why you are not using the latest paqkages in tumbleweed?

Hi
Try the following command first to see if things can be fixed up;

zypper inr

I use Tumbleweed, but only for testing and helping out… :wink: My main desktop is Leap for stability, but also use SLED and SLES, I don’t need the latest and greatest most of the time.

I use KVM (Leap and SLES) for virtualization, no mucking around with having to build kernel modules etc. I can use virt-manager to connect to remote and local machines (both system and user) it’s much more flexible for me, gave up on the vmware and virtualbox products once had hardware that supported virtualization.

I forgot to thank you!

bxce3205:~ # zypper inr
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
Resolving package dependencies…

Nothing to do.

Hi
Ahh well, might be best to go for a fresh install, if you don’t need bleeding edge, then I would suggest Leap.

ok, thank you.
I will do this this night